Transferring Full Fermenters In The Car

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Racking it to secondary can rouse the yeast to finish things off. What temp are they at? Can you increase it a few degC?

I punched those numbers into beersmith and it estimates the FG at 1.013 so there's still some time to go. With the low mash temps it shouldn't be finished at 1.021.

Those 4 packs might not have even been enough if they were old and a low viability of cells! Damn yeast starters are becoming a pain now I am trying to do them properly rather than just rehydrating a pack or two.

Kyle - joined west coast brewers yet? If not get onboard and then bring along a sample at next club meet.

Yeah ill probably rack to secondary tomorrow. The temperature yesterday afternoon was about 17degrees so i put a sleeping bag over the fermenters as i have no heating source. Will check gravity again tomorrow and aim for 1.013

Appreciate the help. Will have to check out westcoast brewera then.

So i checked the gravity again yesterday, still stuck on 1.021 so im thinking ill add more yeast, its a bit difficult to raise the temperature of the room, its about 17degrees, best i can do is put a portable heater on and hopefully raise the temperature to 18/19/20 then pitch more yeast and put a sleeping bag over it to insulate it. Is there any chance of it over attenuating? Like bringing the gravity below my target?

I pitched some us-05 yeast last Wednesday. Split the packet between each fermenter, hoping it would finish off the job but after checking the gravity yesterday I found it was still 1.021 (5 days after pitching)

So I'm thinking I will just bottle it at 1.021, will this be a problem? Taste too sweet? I'm not sure what else I can do.

Hi,

What are you using to take your readings? If it's a refractometer, are you correcting for alcohol? I had a similar issue with my first brew where I thought it had a ways to go, and instead it was completely done!

Just something to check....

Yeah good point, using a hydrometer though, and checked with 2 different hydrometers.

Is there a way to change the title of this topic, as the transferring full fermenters is not really relevant anymore..?

Back