Transferring beer from fermenter to Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Silicon hose is the go, I push water through it from the tap as soon as I've finished the transfer so the beer doesn't dry in it. Starsan before next use.

same as rdevjun and kev. cut a piece of silicon hose purely for this purpose. I've been using the same one for 2 years. a rinse, a spray with starsan and it's great.

Moi aussi.

I'm going to experiment with a low oxygen method with my latest lager. Fill keg with CO2 by expelling a keg of water, then quickly remove the lid and clingwrap it. Poke hose through clingwrap.

The following lager will be fermented in a cornie with spunding valve so I'll do the full Nazi transfer method under pressure, but interesting in seeing what happens with the poke procedure.

Instead of the poke procedure wouldn’t you be better off connecting between the liquid posts and transferring through the dip tubes with a blow off attached to the gas post on the keg you are filling?

That way no need to open the keg and let any 02 in.

Edit: Not C02 in C02 out or air in.

Last edited:
I've been fermenting in glass carboys lately.
Grain & grape sold me this: http://www.grainandgrape.com.au/products/category/search/7CARBOY HOOD--better-bottle-carboy-hood plus a polycarbonate racking cane and a couple of small miscellaneous bits & pieces that go together so that I use a Co2 cylinder/regulator to apply light pressure to the the Carboy which pushes the beer out of via the racking cane. The keg, transfer lines etc. all get purged with Co2 prior to transfer.
Works pretty well so far.

Instead of the poke procedure wouldn’t you be better off connecting between the liquid posts and transferring through the dip tubes with a blow off attached to the gas post on the keg you are filling?

That way no need to open the keg and let any 02 in.

Edit: Not C02 in C02 out or air in.
That's what I'll be doing with my next brew. Current brew is in a brew bucket.

That's what I'll be doing with my next brew. Current brew is in a brew bucket.

Ah ok, just re read your post. You can still fill the keg through the dip this time, just gravity instead of pressure.

Back