Transfer hot wort to fermenter and then cool?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ckilner

Reaction score
I'm currently using a Blichmann plate chiller to chill the wort to 20deg C on the way to the fermenter from my Braumeister.
If I cut out the plate chiller and just transfer the wort straight to the fermenter at 80 deg C this would cut out a lot of risk of infection in the chiller and make the wort transfer simpler and faster. I'm using a SS Brewtech Unitank and a glycol chiller so I wonder if I could just use the glycol chiller to cool the wort. It will make the chiller work hard for a bit but other than that I can't see a problem. Anyone spot a flaw in this theory?

Two things jump to my mind, first being that (unless things have changed) oxygenating hot wort is a big no-no, which is why you need to be super careful hot cubing. So when & how are you going to oxygenate the wort prior to pitching? Are you going to use an oxygen wand?
Second is my glycol chiller came with a big warning about not attempting to cool hot wort.

I was planning on cooling the wort first and then pitching the yeast. I have a SS Brewtech Unitank which has an aeration stone built in so plan to aerate through that.
I have to admit, I hadn't read the bit about glycol coolers not cooling hot wort but I suppose it makes sense. I suppose it's like not putting hot food in the fridge.
Perhaps it's not such a great idea after all.

I'm currently using a Blichmann plate chiller to chill the wort to 20deg C on the way to the fermenter from my Braumeister.
If I cut out the plate chiller and just transfer the wort straight to the fermenter at 80 deg C this would cut out a lot of risk of infection in the chiller and make the wort transfer simpler and faster. I'm using a SS Brewtech Unitank and a glycol chiller so I wonder if I could just use the glycol chiller to cool the wort. It will make the chiller work hard for a bit but other than that I can't see a problem. Anyone spot a flaw in this theory?
You can use the glycol chiller as you planned but you need to get the temp below about 50 degrees first. I have the same setup as you and I use the G20 chiller. The thing is you can run your wort into the fermenter reasonably fast, through the plate chiller, instead of a lot slower to get your pitching temp. Then use the glycol chiller to get to pitching temp. I typically get the wort in at approx 25 degrees and then chill to pitch temp. If you run hot wort straight into the uni tank you will need to allow for the extra bitterness and then you will still have to wait until the temp gets low enough to use the chiller.

Two things jump to my mind, first being that (unless things have changed) oxygenating hot wort is a big no-no, which is why you need to be super careful hot cubing. So when & how are you going to oxygenate the wort prior to pitching? Are you going to use an oxygen wand?
Second is my glycol chiller came with a big warning about not attempting to cool hot wort.
I thought we'd agreed that HSA was a myth?

Another thing to consider is the change in volume as the wort cools down. You'll need to devise something to stop air or sanitiser from being sucked into the fermenter. You definitely don't want to seal it as the low pressure could lead to the vessel collapsing.

Hello Ckilner
I too have the same set up and, at present, cool the wort in the BM with an immersion coil down to high 30s and then pump with the BM pump kit over to the fermenter and use the G20 to chill down to 12 or 18 degs. Maybe I'll try only cooling to high 40s if we go on to water restrictions in SE QLD. The G20 has no trouble cooling from 40 down. I can't see how the G20 would mind having a hotter wort to cool, except having to run continuously, which it does now for 38 to 12. The only limit would be if the returning glycol was over a certain threshold and I don't know whether that limit exists or, if it does, what it is.

HSA question. I appreciate that it is a slight problem for home brewers but I use the BM pump from 86 degs down to high 30s with an immersion coil. Is this a problem and should I not use the pump whilst cooling?
cheers
H

Latest posts

Back