Toucan James Squire Pale Ale 1018fg ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TTXPC

Reaction score
Hi guys, as the title says, has been at 1018 for a week now ( 2 in total) stirred it up etc but wont budge, tastes maybe a little sweet. Didn't do a IG reading, was gunna but...
Dunno if I should bottle it, pitch more yeast or what...
Help :icon_cheers:

Hey TTXPC

Would you mind sharing the recipe please

Hey TTXPC

Would you mind sharing the recipe please

If it's just two cans @ 1.7kg he's out by 4 points assuming 22litres was made. If it's two cans @ 1.5kg he's out by about 6 points.

I wouldn't advocate unless you're using PET bottles.

The other thing is if you're in WA it's been kinda hot and the yeast may have died if your beer got above 30+ degrees. If that was the case I'd repitch and try to control the temperature with frozen water coke bottles and a sink of water.

If it's just two cans @ 1.7kg he's out by 4 points assuming 22litres was made. If it's two cans @ 1.5kg he's out by about 6 points.

I wouldn't advocate unless you're using PET bottles.

The other thing is if you're in WA it's been kinda hot and the yeast may have died if your beer got above 30+ degrees. If that was the case I'd repitch and try to control the temperature with frozen water coke bottles and a sink of water.
Just 2 cans 23litres of water and nothing else (each was rated for 11.5 lire brew) I think they were 1.5kg, temp has been kept constant at 20-24 deg, bubbled nicely for 3-4 days then slowed down and apparently stopped, where it has been now for 8-9 days
Cheers

Just 2 cans 23litres of water and nothing else (each was rated for 11.5 lire brew) I think they were 1.5kg, temp has been kept constant at 20-24 deg, bubbled nicely for 3-4 days then slowed down and apparently stopped, where it has been now for 8-9 days
Cheers
Going by your recipe I'd assume it'd drop down further, arond the 1010 mark. Do the instructions give any info what it's supposed to get to?

The last toucan I did would not get lower than 1018 as well.

The yeast would not have died at 30+ - Yeast thrive at those temps, they just produce unwanted flavours.

+++

If it's a 2 can brew the FG doesn't seem that high to me.

Cheers Ross

Thanks guys I think I'll bottle it and see what happens... :icon_cheers:

IMO it should still get a little lower than 1018. The few times I've made these JS kits I ended up around 1012. What TTXPC is brewing isn't really a 2can (even though he's using 2 cans :huh: ), these kits are designed for 11.5 litres, they are made with the intention the brewer is not adding anything else. so really, a 23 litre brew with 2 of these JS kits is just a double batch. If bottling at 1018 I'd use a little less priming sugar than usual and check a bottle or 2 in a week. Just my 2c

The yeast would not have died at 30+ - Yeast thrive at those temps, they just produce unwanted flavours.

Good to know I can make a beer really quickly if need be. :icon_cheers:

Back