Torrified Wheat - Colour?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurks

Reaction score
Cracking open a fresh glistening bag of grains from G&G for Nelson Sauvin Summer Ale *, I'm surprised by seeing black grains in my kettle. The recipe only has two grains, Marris Otter and Torrified Wheat. I've made this before but I can't recall seeing black grains in it.

On the other hand it's entirely likely I was simply too drunk to remember.

The exact grain is supposed to be: Briess Torrefied Wheat - Soft Red Wheat.

Could someone fill in my blackout by any chance?

* One of the biggest surprises in my AG journey is that this simplest of beer ended up being the tastiest so far. I'm making a few varieties using different hops but sticking with the cool mash, simple grain bill.

Mat.

I brewed this up and sure enough, it's a lot darker than the Summer Ale usually is.

So it looks like 400gr of torrified wheat got switched out for some random very dark grain. I suppose I could whinge to G&G but I might have had more of a leg to stand on if did it before I brewed and chucked all the grain in the compost heap... Sigh, this wasn't really a problem I anticipated.

It's probably going to be a nice beer anyway... Surprise Ale anyone?

Yeah, like you said, it will probably still be very nice, if it is only a couple of percent of the grain bill, I can't see it ruining the beer.

Depending on what it was, it could turn out quite different though.

Yeah, like you said, it will probably still be very nice,

I hit on the idea of weighing the other bag and peering at the grains in that one. After a good, ooh, 30 seconds worth of intense concentration I worked out that essentially the two bags were switched. Confound those pesky bag wranglers at Ye Olde Grain and Grape. Confound them for not realising what a complete simpleton I am.

So I brewed my Belgian Pale first. Which is fine, but it was mashed pretty cool at 64. So a Belgian Ale modelled after the great 1649 event in Haugmeister Abbey where Friar-Brewmaster Lindtus ran out of firewood for the kettle.

Fortunately I'd kicked off the starter yesterday of Wyeast 1214, what must surely be the most slothenly yeast on the market. I could practically year the layabouts organising union rallies in the bottom of the flask.

Cracking open a fresh glistening bag of grains from G&G for Nelson Sauvin Summer Ale *, I'm surprised by seeing black grains in my kettle. The recipe only has two grains, Marris Otter and Torrified Wheat. I've made this before but I can't recall seeing black grains in it.

On the other hand it's entirely likely I was simply too drunk to remember.

The exact grain is supposed to be: Briess Torrefied Wheat - Soft Red Wheat.

Could someone fill in my blackout by any chance?

* One of the biggest surprises in my AG journey is that this simplest of beer ended up being the tastiest so far. I'm making a few varieties using different hops but sticking with the cool mash, simple grain bill.

Mat.
Yep your not wrong,try a checz pils using only bo pils malt and saaz hops so simple but so friggin hard to master!!!!!!!!!

Yep your not wrong,try a checz pils using only bo pils malt and saaz hops so simple but so friggin hard to master!!!!!!!!!

I'd love to give that a go but sadly I lack a brew fridge. I've been watching some on ebay...

Latest posts

Back