Tooheys Xtra Dry Recipe Wanted

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebeemann

Reaction score
Hi all just wondering if anyone has come close to a TEDS clone SHMBO has decided its her favourite , any help would be appreciated cheers :icon_chickcheers:

Hi all just wondering if anyone has come close to a TEDS clone SHMBO has decided its her favourite , any help would be appreciated cheers :icon_chickcheers:
i had a go at this i used the blackrock dry lager can and an extra 1.7 kg of LME using the Dry enzyme that comes with the can (frowned upon here) you could always used the japanese rice malt which drys the body out much like TEDS, only problem with this beer is you need to lager it at 12-14C for 6 weeks to get anything close to the real thing

good luck

p.s mine came out quite malty!

i had a go at this i used the blackrock dry lager can and an extra 1.7 kg of LME using the Dry enzyme that comes with the can (frowned upon here) you could always used the japanese rice malt which drys the body out much like TEDS, only problem with this beer is you need to lager it at 12-14C for 6 weeks to get anything close to the real thing

good luck

p.s mine came out quite malty!

Thanx Matt did you use the kit yeast ? maybe another yeast would dry it out better ?

i used a saf lager yeast not the kit, as the kits are usually a mixture of ale/lager strains, that being said this was the first brew i did and as a n00b fermented way to high (22-24) which probably ruined it getting anywhere near what i wanted it to taste like :p

Black Rock Dry Lager kit, 500gm LDM, 250gm raw sugar, 150gm dex, dry enzyme, kit yeast at 15c for 3-4 weeks, 3 months in bottle.....pretty close.

i pissed in a bottle 1/4 full of apple cider once. amazingly close to a clone.

+1 to BEERHOG. Maybe tip out the contents and smack yourself on the head while sipping dishwashing detergent....also close!!

+1 to BEERHOG. Maybe tip out the contents and smack yourself on the head while sipping dishwashing detergent....also close!!

As i said not for me :angry: im a coopers man myself :icon_chickcheers: , but i know swmbo has no taste she also likes Fosters :p

Black Rock Dry Lager kit, 500gm LDM, 250gm raw sugar, 150gm dex, dry enzyme, kit yeast at 15c for 3-4 weeks, 3 months in bottle.....pretty close.

Would you add any hops before bottling ?

Would you add any hops before bottling ?

no added hops are needed TED is malt based with no real hop presence. Some sites do suggest using Super Alpha, I have tried this and dont think it really worked, maybe 4-5gms
dry hopped after bulk of ferment completed, you could try about the same of cluster for a little extra but I dont think its needed.
Most important is the temp, ale lager kept cool to avoid yeast flavour coming through.

thank god you're hiding under the cloak of SWMBO for wanting to make this beer! :p

To brew something that light, clean and dry you'll need to replace a chunk of the malt extract with dextrose.

You'll also need a lager yeast fermented at lager temps which at this time of the year in Adelaide requires a fermenting fridge.

At a guess

1 kit lager, the brand really doesn't matter
500g dry extract
250-500g dextrose
Saflager yeast fermented at 10C

You don't want to add any hops to this.

If you cant ferment at 10C then you really wont have any chance of brewing anything clean enough to please your partner.

My partner was also a Pure Blonde, Superdry drinker (not since giving birth) and found all of my beers too bitter/malty/hoppy.

Now she loves my golden ale and APAs. My taps are no longer safe <_<

Another wat to get that TED taste is to get a cat lock it in a cage for 24 hours and collect then yellowish liquid from the bottom of the cage. Add 500gms dextrose ferement with US05 at 35dgs. It will taste just like the real thing! :icon_vomit:

To brew something that light, clean and dry you'll need to replace a chunk of the malt extract with dextrose.

You'll also need a lager yeast fermented at lager temps which at this time of the year in Adelaide requires a fermenting fridge.

At a guess

1 kit lager, the brand really doesn't matter
500g dry extract
250-500g dextrose
Saflager yeast fermented at 10C

You don't want to add any hops to this.

If you cant ferment at 10C then you really wont have any chance of brewing anything clean enough to please your partner.

My partner was also a Pure Blonde, Superdry drinker (not since giving birth) and found all of my beers too bitter/malty/hoppy.

Now she loves my golden ale and APAs. My taps are no longer safe <_<

Thanx mate , this might give me the edge to convince SWMBO that i NEED a brew fridge. :icon_cheers:

I agree with the dr. Use a coopers lager tin with 50/50 malt to dex and ferment on the lower scale 10c with s23 or maybe swiss lager. leave for about 14 days to ferment then CC for 3-4 weeks as close to 0c as you can. I brewed a euro lager kit (not sure what I put into it) but it was my best beer even out of the extract beer. It is prob 3rd best beer and that includes all my AG beers. I have not spend the time and effort in AG to brew a true lager yet. I think it fermented for 3 weeks and CC for 5 weeks then spent 4 weeks in the bottle. I have never paid so much attention to a brew like that and it did really pay off.

Hi All

Just been reading thread and thought you guys might be able to help.....I have just put down a Morgans BM Lager along the same lines with a bit of Hersbruck for good measure and wondered what temp is best to pitch the S23 at?

I give it a quick rehydrate and pitched at 14C(have temp control and planned to brew at 11 ish)..... 24 hours still, no action?? wait??

Peter

My partner used to struggle with an ice cold xxxx gold on a stinking hot day, too bitter etc. Now she enjoys pretty well all my brews, ipa and stout included. Dont mind sharing the taps cause ive got free rein to brew.

Beerman, have you tried some of the girly hops ( galaxy) etc, maybe brew a lightly bittered pale with mote aroma emphasis ?
Cheers

Back