Tooheys Pils

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spiderpig

Reaction score
Hi all, Now go easy on me here. New to this brewing thing and we all have differing tastes in beers so I know this one ain't gonna be everyone's cup of tea. ;) I am just using the old can concentrates to make my beer purchased from my local Home Brew Store in Charlestown Newcastle. I am wanting to make a Tooheys PILS, or as close as possible. I am currently brewing a Morgans SAAZ Pilsener with the addition of SAAZ finishing Hops and an equivalent to BE#2. Will this be close, or does someone have any advice? I have a bunch of questions on Lagering, but that can be for another time. Cheers all, thanks for reading. Troy

I recently tasted Tooheys Pils. I think your recipe is about as close as you can get. Use about 2g of Saaz and you should be on the money. If you want it to be better, use about 20g tho ;)

It is always going to be hard to clone commercial beers with kits and bits. The process at the brewery is nothing like what happens with extracts, except for the iso-hop bittering. From what I gathered from the Pils, fermentation was a bit whacky, there were all sorts of esters in the beer that I seriously doubt you'd be able to replicate them at home without the Toohey's yeast strain, osmotic pressure and sheer good luck.

You are better off trying to make a better beer (yes, even with kits) in the same broad style. There is no problem with using Tooheys Pils as a starting point, but I'd be disappointed if that was your destination.

Seriously, I don't see the appeal of that particular beer. From my limited judging experience, even Tooheys New is a much better beer.

Back