Too Much Roast?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snagler

Reaction score
I got a grain bill from the local brew shop and was hopeing someone could answer this question.

Is this too much roast malt? What can I expect it to turn out like?

The recipe (Steve's KOBA clone) called for 25grams of roast but instead I beleive there is more like 250grams. Should I go ahead with it or should I start picking the black bits out :(

Here is the Recipe

23 litre batch

5 kg Ale malt
0.3 kg Cararoma
0.25 kg Roasted malt (should have been 0.025 kg)

25g Cluster 60 min
10g POR 30 min
10g Fuggles 5 min

Thankyou

I think you'll get Kent Old Black Ale :). Maybe closer to a stout. I'd still make it anyway, you never know.

Looks nice to me as is. I'd have no hesitation drinking it. B)

It will end up something like Toohey's Old or a Porter I guess.

Warren -

As the others have said, I think it would be fine, the roasted malt is only 4.5% of the grain. You'll definately either get a porter or a stout. Maybe add some flaked barley or oats and go for the stout. It'll definately be a sweet stout with the caraaroma in there. Should be nice either way. What yeast are you planning on?

Was simply useing S04 this time round. I have made Steves KOBA before useing nottingham and the keg didnt last long :p

I guess its destined to be a stout. The right time of year too I suppose

That looks great to me. I just did one with Black Malt and a lot more than that. Love it

Did your order clearly specify 0.025 kg/25 g ?? If so simply send it back and ask the shop to replace it with what you ordered.

But if it was your mistake, OK, you have to wear it, and I agree with the others. It would make an interesting dark ale as is. Maybe add some lighter crystal and either a) another 200g of roast barley for a stout, or B) 100g of chocolate malt for a porter.

Caraoma with malt will be noice.......... :)

Just make...and if you dont like it, send the WHOLE lot to me for evaluation purposes :D

When I said I just did one it was a Stout, sorry.

Back