Too Bitter?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RdeVjun

Reaction score
Hi all,
here's a challenge- would a toucan of Coopers Stout and Draught balance up ok with some more light malt extract, say half a kilo or more? Any opinions on that plan? I'm determined to use up a gift of an elderly Draught can, I was also wondering if some steeped roasted barley might keep it fairly dry, which is what I prefer. I guess it'd be an American or almost Imperial Stout of about 80IBU, I suggest American as I was going to dry hop in secondary.
I've done some searching, the Draught does not appear to be that popular for this sort of thing though and I'm certainly not making it as a straight k&k.
So, a silly idea? Or could it float perhaps?

Oh crap, don't know how I missed this recent thread right here under my nose. :rolleyes:
But, any thoughts at all on the roast barley? Would it be tearing the fork out of it?
S-04 I was planning to pitch with, not decided yet on the dry hop variety, would welcome suggestions.
Many thanks and a thousand pardons...

Without having done anything on the stout side of things, I'd say that your plan was pretty much doable. The things I would look out for are as follows...

• I would probably consider steeping a hop tea bag instead of dry hopping to help the older kit out in terms of flavour of the beer. Dry hopping would add a nice aroma, but I suspect that if you are using an older kit then you might run into trouble with the balance of the beer (overly bitter and aromatic without a good hop taste/flavour). I'd be using either EKG or *maybe* Fuggles for this, although I am sure that others will pitch in with better suggestions...
  • If you are after a drier style of stout, don't go too heavy with the LDME. I have seen on another thread that one of the Coopers brewers has said that a perfect toucan combo would be a Coopers Stout + a Coopers Dark Ale kit. What you are planning would be pretty close to that equation, so I would reconsider the need for extra LDME esp seeing as though you are after a drier stout
  • I'd consider using either US-05 or Nottingham yeast, both of which are fairly agressive in their attenuation. The Notto in my mind would be a bit more suitable, especially if you are going to be doing some additional hopping. The US-05 gives a really dry result, but it may give an even bigger hop boost to your brew than you might be planning. This toucan will end up to be a pretty big beer IMHO, so you might want to use a yeast that isn't going to go overboard in highlighting the hops (unless that is really, really what you want... :icon_cheers: ) The Notto will convert a lot of the obvious sugars/malts while not emphasising the hops outrageously
Take this advise with a few grains of salt. I have NO experience with this myself, and what I have proposed is merely a compilation of other advise that I have seen on AHB to problems that are similar to yours. Wait to see what others propose before you commit to anything I have put down here.

Let us know how you go!

Without having done anything on the stout side of things, I'd say that your plan was pretty much doable. The things I would look out for are as follows...

• I would probably consider steeping a hop tea bag instead of dry hopping to help the older kit out in terms of flavour of the beer. Dry hopping would add a nice aroma, but I suspect that if you are using an older kit then you might run into trouble with the balance of the beer (overly bitter and aromatic without a good hop taste/flavour). I'd be using either EKG or *maybe* Fuggles for this, although I am sure that others will pitch in with better suggestions...
  • If you are after a drier style of stout, don't go too heavy with the LDME. I have seen on another thread that one of the Coopers brewers has said that a perfect toucan combo would be a Coopers Stout + a Coopers Dark Ale kit. What you are planning would be pretty close to that equation, so I would reconsider the need for extra LDME esp seeing as though you are after a drier stout
  • I'd consider using either US-05 or Nottingham yeast, both of which are fairly agressive in their attenuation. The Notto in my mind would be a bit more suitable, especially if you are going to be doing some additional hopping. The US-05 gives a really dry result, but it may give an even bigger hop boost to your brew than you might be planning. This toucan will end up to be a pretty big beer IMHO, so you might want to use a yeast that isn't going to go overboard in highlighting the hops (unless that is really, really what you want... :icon_cheers: ) The Notto will convert a lot of the obvious sugars/malts while not emphasising the hops outrageously
Take this advise with a few grains of salt. I have NO experience with this myself, and what I have proposed is merely a compilation of other advise that I have seen on AHB to problems that are similar to yours. Wait to see what others propose before you commit to anything I have put down here.

Let us know how you go!
Many thanks GG, sounds fine to me and taken on board. Not a lot of interest evidently, but that's allright too.
Now, I've gotten impatient, and actually just finished putting this one to bed, here's where I went wrong:
1.7 kg Coopers Stout
1.7 kg Coopers Draught (actually BBF 07 03 05, which makes it a smidgen over four years out of date!)
250g LDME
100g Roasted Barley
12g Cascade hops (i.e. a teabag, opened) boiled loose for just 5 mins
I boiled up 4 litres rainwater, added the two tins. Back to the boil, then in goes the LDME (I was suss on its sanitation). In the mean time, the roughly whizzed (yep, less than ideal) barley has been steeping in about a litre of boiling water, when it was about 30 mins old, I threw it in too, when it returned to the boil, I dropped the hops in. After the five, I poured it into the fermenter which was about 1/2 full of boiled, chilled (nearly frozen) rainwater, I want it to be just aroma. Topped up to ~21 litres with more boiled chilled rainwater, left it in the fridge with it cooling until 24degC, pitched. I did the yeast up in a starter, about 1/2 of a 11.5g pack of S-04 (had it on hand, maybe another of your suggestions next time),15g LDME, 250ml boiled, cooled water, was frothing up nicely at pitching. I wanted it to start slowly as there's not a lot of headspace in this slightly smaller fermenter, fingers crossed on that though with all these sugars, it measures a fearsome 1.054! In retrospect, am hoping its not underpitched though. It'll be fermenting in a fridge at ~18 deg, temps presently are pretty kind to us at the mo.
As it is possibly-/quasi- American, I went with the aroma hops, they're big on them I hear, and I wouldn't mind trying that anyway.
The old Draught tin was tasting like honey basically, not much hops evident, but its still a fairly bitter brew. I suspect someone will ping it, the barley doesn't help matters much, but I've wanted to try it for ages... Now seemed like as good a time as any! I could add some more steeped at secondary, with the loose hops still in there, it'll get the treatment for sure. We will just have to see how it goes! :icon_drunk:
Sorry, there's quite a lot of detail here, partly for my own record as I've not got my usual computer with me at the mo, its at work- I'll enter it into qbrew if/when I get near my trusty laptop at the slavepit tomorrow. :angry:

Sounds to be a good experiment and am sure it will come up nice, if not potentially very good.

No, you're not underpitched. S-04 standard dose will handle 1.060++ in my experience. Depending on the temperature it may just need a little time to chew through the sugars. Rousing can assist, but I've never felt the need and the results have been quite pleasant for special bitters, porters and some other experiments.

Best of luck!!

Cheers - Fermented.

That all sounds good RdeVjun, keep us posted on your results in a few weeks time. I'll be doing a stout myself by that stage so I'll be interested to find out how your turned out! :party:

Thanks & cheers guys, will flag this for an update in a while.
I'm curious to see how the barley goes, I've used oats before but not really sold on them.
We'll see if any of this brew will make it through to winter (not likely...), in fact I've half a mind to do a few batches of the dark rich stuff to help ward off the chills during the long cold windy nights up here on the range (what a big sook!). I've mucked with extract stouts a bit, while there's a lot of flexibilty with this method (too much perhaps), I just find that getting the quantities just right is difficult for an outstanding brew and with time running out, I decided to go back to the kits & bits method for a few to replenish stocks, but I'd take care of this toucan experiment first.
The star anise numbers I did a while back in the early days were rather good, I saw a 1/2kg bag of it for $12.50 at the local Asian supermarket on the weekend, jeez it was tempting, but decided to get a small pack for just one batch instead. My early experiences, warts & all- I do things differently now and won't be making the same mistakes.

Update: This 'disposal stout' is a cracker, the roasted barley is a must for this sort of thing and turns a toucan stout from great to even better. I dry hopped some Styrian Goldings in secondary to bring it back across the Atliantic to some more traditional territory (hmm, hardly likely- aroma hops in stout??!!) and it spent about five weeks between primary and secondary. Lovely drop, not overly rich, hints of honey and a shade nutty, well recieved and I have very few ideas now as to why I originally thought it would be too bitter as it could even go some more bittering.

Its interesting how quickly some skills and a bit of knowledge develops, even though its only a few months ago, I'd forgotten all about this thread and rediscovered it by accident while searching for something else. It was obviously before I'd bought much from online LHBSes, nowadays there's a few more things in my pantry that would be in there for sure (carafa specials, choc malt, different hops (cascade? what was I thinking?) etc.). Anyway, while its not perfect, it shows with minimal ingredients and plenty of time that quite good results are easy to achieve. Thanks also to GG & Fermented for your input.

I have a toucan that's nearly a year old and still bitter as anything. Can of Coopers Ale, can of farmland draft (on special - dont judge me!) and nothing else.

It's settled into a nice Yorkshire/English style bitter. It is so thick you could float a 10cent piece on the head of this bad boy.

It's too bitter for some of my less experienced homebrew friends, but I have one who likes the mouth puckeringly bitter beers and she loves this drop.

My last toucan stout was a Coopers standard stout kit and a morgans dark ale. I added 300gms of DME and 200gms of dex to hopefully thin it out a little and add some sweetness.

I reckon extra hops in a toucan would be way too bitter for my tastes.

Latest posts

Back