Tony's 100 Liter "chill And No Chill" Brew Day

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Quality over Quantity
Reaction score
Well i did two 50 liter batches today.

Apart from the mess on the garage floor from the first brew boiling over while i was stuffing around with a decoction for the second brew, and a small burn to my left forarm, i did it :D

First was an American Brown ale, brewed it for the ANAWBS.

I decided to run this one into the cubes to cool till i have room in the fridge to brew it.

second up was a dunkelweizen, decoction mashed.

wow what a handfull.

had the usual problems, bloody wheat beer got stuck so i chucked in a heap of rice hulls, problem solved.

Boiled over the ABA while i was stiring the first decoction for the dunkel, i heard the hissing and spun around and kicked the ball valve on the burner closed. only lost a few hundred nills but enough to make the floor sticky. I will fix it tomorrow......... maybe :p

here are some pics:

first one is the ABA boiling while the first decoction for the dunkel sits at 68 deg for a bit while the rest is in protein rest.

Second is the dunkel filling while the no chill ABA cools in the breeze.

i know i have postedpics of the mingilien burner before but it is so cool i will post a couple more :p

man it puts out some heat.

i recon it would boil 200 liters no worries. i have to throttle it right back for 50 liters but it gets it boiling in under 10 min :)

I love the pics Tony,
and that heat is awesome !!

100l in a day!..........love it

:beerbang:

Tony said:
Well i did two 50 liter batches today.

Apart from the mess on the garage floor from the first brew boiling over while i was stuffing around with a decoction for the second brew, and a small burn to my left forarm, i did it :D

First was an American Brown ale, brewed it for the ANAWBS.

Tony,
I will warn the judges :rolleyes:

cheers
Darren

Tony said:
i have to throttle it right back for 50 liters but it gets it boiling in under 10 min :)
[post="116826"][/post]​

Do you get the soot problems that others complain about?

Scott

that red hot ring is 5mm thick 316 stainless too :blink:

filled the cubes no problens, they did go abit soft and sag abit at 90 deg but they lived

ended up with 22 kg of spent grain + any leftover liquid.

will report back on the no chill ABA, The no chiller method thread was getting a bit long winded so i thought i would start one with my experiences, good and bad :)

I have yeast building for it so once the dunkel is done it will be run into the firmenter and done as well.

cheers

Oh ans have never had a single bit of soot from the burner but i recon it would be a bit big for 20 liter batches

And darren, you do that mate :p all that tastless flavor might ruin it !

If it doesnt work for me i will be honest with my reports :) good or bad!

cheers again

Wow, I'm impressed.

Mmm, 200L batches... *goes to clean out 10 kegs* *goes to find chest freezer*

Tony,

I noticed you have not squeezed in the sides of your cubes. I'm not saying this is absolutely necessary but it has a couple of advantages. Firslty, it will force out any excess air in the cube which is always a good thing when it comes to susceptability to infection. Secondly, if you do get an infection, it will be really easy to tell as the sucked in walls of the drum will become bloated. Like I said, not necessary to be done, but I think its worth while doing.

Great effort though mate - especially with a decoction mash thrown in just for an extra challenge!

I will be looking for a burner soon to boil big batches - interesting to hear you say you reckon the mongolian will boil 200L... :)

Cheers,

:beer:

TD. great point, i didnt think of that. Bugger.

The sides did suck in when it cooled but it would have been glld to get some air out.

I think those 25 liter cubes hold a bit more than 25 liters as this was 52 liters hot in the boiler.

Will get a couple of 20 liter cubes and fill 1 x 25 liter and 1 x 20 liter cube.

easy

cheers

Tony said:
I think those 25 liter cubes hold a bit more than 25 liters as this was 52 liters hot in the boiler.

[post="116955"][/post]​

Yeah, I agree. The last two beers I did in 25L cubes were both meant to be 25L batches but I ended up with I reckon 1-2L of headspace in the cube - exactly the same as what your ones look like in the photos. I haven't transfered the second brew to a fermenter yet but the first one was 24.5L and I expect the second one will be the same, if not hopefully the intended 25L.

Back