Tommarrow I'm Brewing Some Trappist Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pop_shots

Reaction score
decided that tommarrow's a good day to test myself

youll notice my recipe is slightly modified, because I bought out the grain store of his base 2 and 6 row pale malts. he too tried to encourage me to buy a bunch of extract crap, but me being the stubborn fool that I am insisted otherwise ( even if this batch turns out like piss, im motivated enough to keep attempting all grain until i get it right). :)

Trappist Ale (my version)
4lb 6-row pale
4lb munich
1.5lb crystal
1oz black patent
.25 oz chocolate
1lb amber belgian sugar cubes
Hops
2 oz Hallertauer hops (60 minute boil)
1 oz Kent Golding hops (60 minute boil)

Yeast- Belgian Wit Ale, white labs liquid yeast
(oak chips will be strained over boiling wort for approx 10 minutes during full boil whilst stirring)

(here's the original recipe that I based mine off of)

Trappist Ale

8--1/2 lbs pale malt
1 lbs mild malt (or Munich malt)
.5 lbs crystal malt
1 oz black patent malt
1 lb dark brown sugar
Hops

2 oz Hallertauer hops (60 minute boil)
1 oz Kent Golding hops (60 minute boil)
Yeast Wyeast Belgian ale yeast (or culture Chimay)
Procedure Depending on your extract efficiency, this beer might come in at SG in mid-1060s or so. This is not intended to be a 1.100 beer! If you can find it, instead of using dark brown sugar, use 1 pound raw sugar crystals (seen at some gourmet food shops, but somewhat expensive). Note the mixture of continental and English hops. As the beer ought to have some body, use a starch conversion temperature of 155-8 degrees F.

any recommendations are appreciated, especially if you have a finishing hop recommendation that you think will improve the brew. i have a couple other kinds of hops sitting in my refrigerator, along with some dark malt extract, so if you think you can improve my version of the recipe, please by my guest. (i also have 2lbs of wheat..so im already thinking of instead using the 4lb munich, using 2lb wheat and 2lb munich instead.)

thanks,
-Patrick

"any recommendations are appreciated"

metric

tangent said:
"any recommendations are appreciated"

metric
[post="105227"][/post]​

yeah, it's such a shame our countries dont use the same system of measurement. im seriously in the dark about celcius, i know a KG is 2.2 lbs but that's just confusing as hell to me!!, the reason i come and post on this site is because imho there's 'better brewing brains' on this site, coupled with higher traffic.

1gal = 4 liters, if that helps. sorry :-(

ruserious said:
that's a fair amount of crystal isn't it ?
[post="105225"][/post]​

read my mind, i was thinking of making it 1.25 or so as I wrote that post or maybe even a little lower and throwing in a little extra choc (like .20) to make weight

my MAIN concern with my recipe is whether or not the Wit yeast will make the trappist ale taste like shit. i'm worried...(that's the only belgian yeast the guy had)

update your mini-profile to say where you're from dude.
otherwise ppl will keep recommending Aussie HBS etc.

Sounds OK to me pop_shots

One thing I wouldn't bother with though would be the oak chips. Bit of a waste of time.

The Wit yeast whilst not totally ideal will still give you a good Belgian. :beerbang:

Enjoy the beer.

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:
The Wit yeast whilst not totally ideal will still give you a good Belgian.
[post="105252"][/post]​

thanks for that. really relieved alot of worry from my mind. tommarrow I'll start the brewing day much more confident now that you've said that.

think the oak chips would make a difference if I threw em in the fermenter instead?

thanks again,
-Patrick

Patrick.

Choices is yours. ;) However I fail to recall of any Trappist Ales that are actually aged in wood (anymore). :unsure:

Personally I think you'd have a more failsafe beer if you just left 'em out. :beerbang:

Warren -

Pop_shots, you have gone from working out a partial mash recipe, to rushing into an ag Belgian brew.

Walk before you can run.

Work out your mashing gear, methods and techniques on an easy recipe such as an American Pale Ale.

Also you are attempting to formulate your very own Belgian brew. It may turn out OK, but why not stick to the original recipe you have posted? Subsitute your Munich for the grain you don't have, but don't change the amount of crystal, and use your chocolate grain in the amounts listed in the original recipe. It is a bit like attempting a 3 tier wedding cake before you have learnt to make a plain butter cake.

We keep telling you to back off on the crsytal.

As to celcius versus fahrenhiet, do some conversions and write a conversion table up. Tape it to the front of your brew book of notes.

"beer does a body good" is somewhere in seppo land eh? <_<

pint of lager said:
Subsitute your Munich for the grain you don't have, but don't change the amount of crystal, and use your chocolate grain in the amounts listed in the original recipe.
We keep telling you to back off on the crsytal.

[post="105287"][/post]​

going to keep the crystal and choc the same like you say, use 2lb wheat and 2lb munich combined with the other 4lb 6-row pale I have. thx for that, I didn't realize crystal was in the same category as choc in terms of overpowering

tangent said:
"beer does a body good" is somewhere in seppo land eh? <_<
[post="105295"][/post]​

wow, you are a bitter person.. learn to lighten up

Personally I think listing your location as somewhere in the US would be better than "beer does a body good" if you want help. You'll be ridiculed about your units amongst other things.

It would also be a good idea to do as PoL has stated - get some conversion tables (found in How To Brew by John Palmer) by the computer so you can enter our favoured units. I would hazard a guess and say many users here would glance at your questions and leave them unanswered as they have to work at converting things. You should do the hard work not the person helping you.

Welcome to the board. :beer:

NRB said:
Personally I think listing your location as somewhere in the US would be better than "beer does a body good" if you want help. You'll be ridiculed about your units amongst other things.

It would also be a good idea to do as PoL has stated - get some conversion tables (found in How To Brew by John Palmer) by the computer so you can enter our favoured units. I would hazard a guess and say many users here would glance at your questions and leave them unanswered as they have to work at converting things. You should do the hard work not the person helping you.

Welcome to the board. :beer:
[post="105333"][/post]​

thanks for the recommendation, but it's pretty obvious I'm not in austrailia when you see me using lbs to measure things...

but you're right, I'll for sure have a conversion table before I ask another q

. I would hazard a guess and say many users here would glance at your questions and leave them unanswered as they have to work at converting things. You should do the hard work not the person helping you.

Some of us here Downunder did have to learn pounds and farenheit etc before switching over to kilograms and celsius (thought didn't have to learn pounds, shillings and pence!) so can readily convert - or am I showing my age?

Back