To roll the bottle or not roll the bottle to mix in the yeast?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damn

Reaction score
I remember reading recently in John Palmers "How to brew" how bothered he was to see someone pour all of a belgian beer bottle into a glass. He seems to suggest you leave the last part of the bottle (5-10mm) in the bottle. I bought myself some Stone & Wood on the W/end which recommended on the label to roll the bottle prior to serving. I believe coopers suggest the same. What is the consensus out there? Do you roll some types and not others? Is the type of yeast? Is it for bottle conditioned beers? I'd like to hear some views?

Mixing the yeast in can change the flavour profile of the beer which some people like. I personally don't like any yeast mixed in any beer even if it does improve the flavour. For me the more yeast you ingest the more likelihood of BEER FARTS.

I hear ya yummy. I once took Charlie Ps advice to drink the sediment of some homebrew if you are hungover.
HOLY SHITBALLS. I have never in my life farted with such ferocity. Seriously. It was like I had implanted a fart generator... never again.
Charlie is still a frigging legend, but clearly a different constitution from me.
+1 for the decanting.

I prefer not to roll, especially on older beers where the yeast has clumped and is quite dark. It is quite offputting.

I reckon that a lot of the time I reckon this is a wanky marketing gimmick or a little flourish that bar staff like to do if they're bored and/or secretly wishing you'd ordered a cocktail, especially with CPA. I'd say definitely it's the former in the case of S&W's label - the yeast used is pretty neutral and you'd have to have good senses to detect it through all that galaxy anyway.

I personally can't taste much difference between a CPA that's been rolled and one that hasn't, but I've come to the conclusion that my palate is not particularly sensitive to "yeasty" flavours. Obviously the esters that Coopers yeast produces are a different flavour which is irreversibly incorporated into the beer, but I don't think disturbing the yeast has a significant impact on that aspect.

mmmyummybeer said:
Mixing the yeast in can change the flavour profile of the beer which some people like. I personally don't like any yeast mixed in any beer even if it does improve the flavour. For me the more yeast you ingest the more likelihood of BEER FARTS.
It's also full of B vitamins. Extremely good for you.

If pouring into a glass I'd rather leave the sediment and have a nice clear beer (depending on the style) and I don't much like the taste of yeast sediment. I imagine they suggest that so people don't get put off by the last swig when drinking straight from the bottle. I asked a waitress not to roll a coopers green one time and she told me you had to to reduce the bitterness.
Maybe next time I'll ask for the dregs to be served in a shot glass for a vitamin supplement.

bloody hell, you guys have stronger stomachs than I then.
Squirt, maybe with my new, less meat centred diet the fungus amongst us won't morph into an internal brawl whereby huge quantities of gas are emitted as brawl byproducts. You are right though, quite healthy re: B vitimins. Which is my theory on why our headaches are less in homebrew than filtered swill.

A lot of pubs and clubs in the Taree region have been blitzed by Coopers, and ye Green is on tap nearly everywhere nowadays. I was talking to the guy at the club and he says they have to rock the keg every day to keep it cloudy and "in character". Personally I like an Aussie Pale to be clear, still has the flavour and aroma etc but also nice to look at - which is perfectly possible with a bottle of commercial Coopers.

Coopers tells people to roll their beer because it makes them feel fancy. Personally I don't because doing so brings chunks into the beer, which is :icon_vomit:

I remember getting a pint of Coopers from the last few litres of the keg... it looked like orange juice. Those guys clearly didn't rock the kegs.

If you have gout or are bordeline (high purine level in your body) then you definitely want to avoid yeast as much as possible.

I had a dude pour me what was clearly the very bottom of a coopers celebration keg. Its was beyond cloudy, it was basically mud. He then tried to tell me that 'its just sediment and wouldnt affect the taste'. Well it does, even in small amounts.

The guy at the bar told me that there are people who get all excited and ask for a glass of yeast. I told him that I didn't and I wanted something drinkable.

I want my CPA to be cloudy, so that others who are drinking VB or XXXX or Tooeez can see that I'm NOT drinking the same as the unwashed.

German hefe or a wit, yes, quite like the breadiness/fluffiness the yeast brings.

Yet to like another yeast strain mixed in. Bar staff tend to do this to any bottle that's got yeast.

Quite often bottle up some of my ale's in stub;s for taking out. Find the yeast (mainly 05) fine to mix in. In a tall one I leave it behind in the bottom. But lager yeast seems unkind to the plumbing, at least mine, so all my lagers a bottle in tallies and poured clean and clear.

cheers

I'd prefer 150 lashes and Coopers green to be served clear in pubs and clubs to entice VB drinkers to try them. As they say you eat (and drink) with your eyes.

Back