To roll the bottle or not roll the bottle to mix in the yeast?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My preference is to pour carefully and leave the last little but in the bottle.

I was at a local near a mates place recently where the publican called out to let the punters know that the coopers keg had hit "golden hour", meaning that it was reaching the bottom of the keg. Never seen old blokes run to the bar faster. To me it tasted like fruit salad. Not my preference.

I'm quite surprised to see no one seems to like the yeast. I love the yeast mixed in with plenty of beers, not all though of course. Beers like coopers in my opinion must have the yeast mixed to be a nice beer. Just doesn't have that "right character" without the yeast. Too bland and doesn't sit right.

I might be wrong here, but as far as I know the taste of Coopers beer comes almost entirely from the yeast and the malt. I'm sure there are exceptions (Celebration Ale) but I'm told Pale Ale in particular has no late hops and relies entirely on the yeast for its character.

Sometimes (not always) I will roll a beer, but only if it satisfies the following:
a ) the yeast is supposed to be a major flavour component.
b ) it is bottled with the primary strain.

A bartender rolled a LCPA for me once because he saw "live bottle conditioned" written on it. What a fuckwit.

EDIT: stupid magical emoticons

CPA - no roll
CSA - roll away, much better with the yeast, I like the fruit salad it brings to the party.

Most others no roll.

There are only 2 beers I'm ok with sediment in, CPA (a low to moderate amount, the way it comes out when a keg is fresh and hasn't had time to settle, but nowhere near the end of the keg) and Hefeweizen.

CSA I like, well... sparkling :D

I love sediment in my beers. Especially styles like big Belgians.

I'll often pour with no sediment, taste the beer, then swirl in the stubby and pour the sediment in and taste again. I remember even being served a Belgian Saison I think once where the majority of the beer was served to me in a glass with an accompanying shotglass of yeasty sediment.

I am surprised so many homebrewers seem to be anti-yeast!

kahlerisms said:
I am surprised so many homebrewers seem to be anti-yeast!
I'm not, in the same way I'm not surprised many homebrewers thing adding sugar to their AG beer is bad.

K&K throwbacks.

The Cooper's used to visit my mate's pub in Edithburgh over Summer and they used to drink it clear. Apparently it was a marketing gimmick that allowed them to keep bottle conditioning. I personally roll the bottle as I don't really pick the taste and prefer not to waste beer and end up with dregs all through my car when I take the bottles back.

+1 yum beer - I think rolling Coopers Sparkiling Ale has a singnifcant impact on flavour. However, the green apple splatters the next day, and some serious gas action are the price paid for flavour.

I prefer mine clear.
Even my hefeweizens taste just fine when they are clear.
I don't need the yeast.
And I've never in my life eaten vegemite, so why do I want it in my beer?

I fart enough without the extra help from excessive yeast.

Nick JD said:
I'm not, in the same way I'm not surprised many homebrewers thing adding sugar to their AG beer is bad. K&K throwbacks.
Totally disagree. Yeast in suspension has a flavour impact. I generally don't like that flavour - tastes like sediment and reminds me of green beer.
I'm fine with sugar and I felt the same long before I started brewing (kk, whatever).

manticle said:
Totally disagree. Yeast in suspension has a flavour impact. I generally don't like that flavour - tastes like sediment and reminds me of green beer.
Completely agree with this. I don't like the taste yeast leaves in your mouth and I avoid it if I can. Completely personal preference.

Latest posts

Back