Tips needed- starting up again

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trent0

Reaction score
Hi there Guys,
Now the weather is cooler again in QLD, I am giving the home brew another crack.

I was brewing last year but as the weather began to get warmer the beer was tasting rubbishy so I gave it away for the summer, ( no fermenter temp control).
I never had any issues with infections etc but the beer never really tasted crash hot.
My process was/ is, 1- 2 weeks in fermenter' then into cube for 24 hours, then into keg.

I have had a brew down now for 2 weeks, (Coopers real ale) with 500g Dextrose and 500g Brigalow extra malt). It is still at 1010 .
Do I transfer now to the cube or leave longer?
Also, any other advice would be great.
Thanks,
Trent

Temperature control and sanitation are paramount.
Pitching enough healthy yeast isn't far behind.

I wouldn't worry about transferring to cube for 24 hours before kegging.

Enough healthy yeast? Should I use more than the 1 packet?

is the packet yeast that comes with the can ok, or should I use other yeast?

The advantage of can yeast (besides being free) is that it is likely a hardy strain with a wide temperature tolerance.
The disadvantages are that yeast is better stored cold (and tin yeast is whatever temp the tin has been) and is usually around 7g when really around twice that would be preferred.

It will work and it will make beer but it can also affect beer flavour.

Yeast turns sugary malt water into beer. Therefore, whatever you do to it will have the most outcome on the end product. You could have the best malt, best hops, best everything but without yeast health looked after, you won't get a good end product.

Back