Tipping In The Usa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to Colorado in Oct and will probably spend a fair bit of time in various bars, brewpubs and breweries. What's the etiquette for tipping at these sorts of places if I'm not having a meal?

I've spent a bit of time in the US as my brother lives there.

I work by the $1 rule.

A buck per beer, per suitcase carried, per door opened, and a single on each pillow in the hotel you stay in.

10-15% on top of any meal you have.

Sounds like a like when you add it up, but stuff in the states is way cheaper than here, and our dollar is kicking green-back ass at the moment.

Here's a guide link

As a pom I'm quite accustomed to tipping, especially taxi drivers and wait staff. Taxis were " keep the change mate" sort of tipping, waiters you leave the money under the plate IF you were impressed by the service. I was quite surprised that there is no tipping in Oz and the first time I tried the "keep the change" thing with a taxi guy (hadn't been in Australia for too long) the guy was offended.

Wow thanks for the post, it's uncovered a whole seam of buried memories for me. Like when in the UK your long distance coach got you safely to the destination all the passengers would drop a few bob in the hat of the driver at the door. Couple of years ago in Wellington I gave all my remaining NZ shekels (about thirty bucks) to the Filipino lady who had been cleaning and changing the sheets in the hotel room. :p
Er ... tipping in the UK sounds exactly the same as tipping here. Anyway, the US is different because they have these kind of set rates. In bars it's very confusing as, if you pay per round, then I kind of just left the money on the bar when I left. But I didn't seem to notice any problems getting served. In hindsight the tab is probably the way to go but logically I don't see how it affects service as the wait staff don't know the amount of the gratuity until after they've served you. In reality it really only works in restaurants where they pretty much add a percentage to the bill (although you don't have to pay it). A complete dogs breakfast. But things are still cheaper.

Sierra Navada Beer Camp here we come. I'll make sure we post a couple of pics.
What what what?!? :eek:

Like Bum said, think about drinking here and tip well if you are being looked after.

I like to tip well where it is deserved. Tipping for bad service really irks me, but they still need to eat.

If you are on SN Beer Camp, I am a thoroughly jealous man.

Good on you BD. You will have a fugging ball.

I usually went 10% rounded up, when paying a bill not for a drink over the bar, I am surprised it wasn't me now I have read Bribies linkHave a good trip BD!
It's 15% minimum for good service... tight arse! ;)

$1 a drink gets you by okay... if you're in a group and buying rounds, it doesn't necessarily have to be a $1 a drink though - have a look at what people are doing around you and how the waiting staff react.. that's always a good idea.

My mate lives there and when out drinking I went by what he said. Give the barman a big tip on your first drink and you will get good service and usually stronger spirits the rest of the night. Seemed to work.

Another good idea is if youre ever confused (because even simple maths can become difficult after 5+ drinks) is just be up front and honest with them. "im sorry im not used to the whole tipping thing could you please help me with whats appropriate here" always works wonders. They will appreciate your honesty and will love to help you out. Especially since the GFC people are tipping less and less over there.

Wow good timing on this post! I'm off to the US in a few weeks. Had forgotten all about tipping. Will be nice going there with a strong AUS dollar as opposed to last time (12 years ago) with an NZ Peso.

I was there a few months back and we would occasionally give a member of staff a big tip for the first drink and ask if they could keep an eye out for us the remainder of the night. Every time we went to a busy bar we would be served quickly, put the drinks on a tab and then tip 15 - 20% when paying at the end.

The staff appreciated and if we returned to the same bar were usually remembered

What what what?!? :eek:

Like Bum said, think about drinking here and tip well if you are being looked after.

I like to tip well where it is deserved. Tipping for bad service really irks me, but they still need to eat.

If you are on SN Beer Camp, I am a thoroughly jealous man.

Good on you BD. You will have a fugging ball.

Yes indeed, won the trip to the beer camp by taking out the Brisbane Amateur Beer Brewers 2011 Championship. Ross was originally supposed to be coming along too, but due to his Mircrobrewery really taking off he couldn't take the time off so he kindly passed it on to the winner of the Queensland Amateur Brewing Championship Liam. We are going to hit some of the breweries around San Diego and then head up to Chico for the Beer camp unless we can scrounge some tickets to the Great American Beer Festival, then we will head there first. Must be best amatuer brewing comp prize ever.

Seriously man, that is a prize many beer nerds would give their right marble for.

If you are able to, make sure you stop through SF and the Napa/Santa Rosa area for beer destinations. You are making me miss it there, good beer everywhere.

Just don't be brewing a beer with fricken juniper (rich coming from a Finn) I want the next iteration of Hoptimum!

Yes indeed, won the trip to the beer camp by taking out the Brisbane Amateur Beer Brewers 2011 Championship. Ross was originally supposed to be coming along too, but due to his Mircrobrewery really taking off he couldn't take the time off so he kindly passed it on to the winner of the Queensland Amateur Brewing Championship Liam. We are going to hit some of the breweries around San Diego and then head up to Chico for the Beer camp unless we can scrounge some tickets to the Great American Beer Festival, then we will head there first. Must be best amatuer brewing comp prize ever.

Good stuff Tony, wish I had some vacation time to come out and catch up.

San Diego, great beer scene, heaps of good breweries. Lots of hoppy IPAs. The freshness factor will make you think it's a different beer compare to what you get in Aus (if you even can).

You'll definitely need to hire a car - the breweries are out in the 'burbs. And tasting hours are all towards Friday/Saturday arvos so plan ahead for tasting hours. You can run around and hit 5 or 6 awesome breweries in an arvo/evening if you do it right. It might be worth checking around for an organised brewery tour. No one has to drive and miss out then.

If you are there earlier in the week, hit 30th street in the city. It's known for craft beer and has some great bars. Just watch yourself, they neighborhood around it can be a bit sketchy. If you hear the locals talking about BLAH - it's the Blind Lady Ale House. Definitely worth a visit.

The Pizza Ports are great. There a are few, visit them all. They each have a different brewer/recipes/beers. See Stone it's well worth it. Greenflash can be good, although they have upgraded since I was last out there. Coronado brewing is good. Lost Abbey, Iron Fist, Firehouse, AleSmith, BallastPoint, are all worth a visit. Alpine Brewery is worth the drive out if you have the time. They have a smoke house there too.

There are few nano-breweries out there like Mother Earth and Hess.

Beware the chain restaurant breweries. Karl Strauss can been ok, but Rock Bottom's usually are just that.

I don't know what sort of schedule you're on, but I've seen enough breweries that I don't really care about the brewery tours anymore. Especially at the bigger breweries - they usually just have a trained monkey give a blurb that they don't fully understand. Better to spend your time sampling the beers - the bar guy will often be pretty cluey.

I met the second shift brewer at Green Flash while we were there at the Friday evening tasting just by checking out the brewing setup. He noticed us, asked if we were brewers. He ended up giving us the personal tour and telling some great stories and giving us a heap of free beer to take.

The beaches are interesting compared to the Goldy, so go out to sunset cliffs for a sunset. Water will be cold.

If you are in South LA/Orange county/Anaheim we liked The Bruery and Bootleggers. Tustin was ok... nice copper gear behind the bar, but lots of loud big screen TVs with crappy yank sports.

Try not to be on the road for rush hours. SoCal traffic can be pretty bad.

California has some stupid law where you can't fill a growler with anything but your own logo on it, so don't bother with gowlers.

Long necks are usually called "bombers" over here - sample a flight and buy the beers you like.

Do what Dave did when he and Ross came to new york. Take a pocket book and scribble down all the beers you try and your tasting notes.

Try to find a whole foods - the food and beer will blow your mind.

Anyway mate, have fun, drive on the right side of the road, don't breath too much smog, or go south of the border. :)

...... unless we can scrounge some tickets to the Great American Beer Festival, then we will head there first.

You'll be able to get tickets from scalpers outside the venue for most sessions. Regardless Denver has an awesome beer scene and will be running a beer festival in conjunction in the bars and breweries during the week surrounding the GABF.

Colorado has great beer. Goto a bank at start of trip and get 50x $1 bills. Hand em out to whoever serves you. Get your bartender a good tip upfront and he'll look after you, think loose free pours on spirits or a free beer for the road.Generally $1 a drink but always better to start a tab and show some cash upfront. On food go closer to 15%. Some places you don't need to and you'll work it out.Can't remember CO state taxes but it's good to use as a guide if your math skills are impaired.

I love the fact that they have $1 notes and 1c coins.I'm not sure how to teach my kids what a cent or a dollar is as neither exist anymore and neither can buy anything in oz.
Just as trivia it cost 2.4c to make a penny. The copper content was legislated by one of the founding fathers who just happened to own a copper mine, crafty politician.

Latest posts

Back