Timothy Taylor Yeast?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep up the good work ol chap.

I just noticed your Sub title added ;) ,Very nice indeed,congrats on 500 posts :beerbang:

And accreditation accorded the creative mind who hit the nail on the head :D

FWIW, I brewed a TTLL on the weekend. Grains used were Bairds Pale Ale malt and 30g of Thomas Fawcett Pale Choc. Windsor Ale yeast is currently fermenting the SG 1.043 ale. It looks nice and will draw a sample tomorrow night before racking to the brightening tank. Hops were: Styrian Goldings & Fuggles to bitter, EK Goldings for flavour and Styrian Goldings for aroma. Mash water was burtonised...
I've got a sack of Bairds Mariss Otter on order to make a few more batches of this fantastic beer.
Cheers,
TL

FWIW, I brewed a TTLL on the weekend. Grains used were Bairds Pale Ale malt and 30g of Thomas Fawcett Pale Choc. Windsor Ale yeast is currently fermenting the SG 1.043 ale. It looks nice and will draw a sample tomorrow night before racking to the brightening tank. Hops were: Styrian Goldings & Fuggles to bitter, EK Goldings for flavour and Styrian Goldings for aroma. Mash water was burtonised...
I've got a sack of Bairds Mariss Otter on order to make a few more batches of this fantastic beer.
Cheers,
TL

TL,

Sounds just the ticket.

Got some info from our Master brewer (Dr Simon Brooke-Taylor) earlier tonight that may help guide your fermentation:

"Golden Promise and Maris Otter are different but not worth noticing for our purposes? Less than 2 %crystal with some Black or Chocolate malt for colour".

Hops are every thing in the UK, but here in bottled Landlord - Doubt it makes much difference what you use?

Rousing in a shallow fermentation is very important - Yorkshire squares facilitate this, but basic open fermenters also work. What you don't want is sterile anaerobic, fermentions under pressure!"

So looks like you need to adapt to the conditions that this yeast experiences 'back 'ome if you want it to give its best.

Dave

I reckon the British practices show the great devide from what many HB'ers have practiced or have gotten to know what English Ale brewing is about, such as the use of sugar and why it is used, caramel use or other items to adjsut colour, hop extracts over kettle hops, how colour grains are used and in what percentages.

had an aussie version of an ESB the other day which went against what Simon has taught us in many ways; this beer had too much crystal to acheive the colour, flavour hopped incrementally rather than via the whirlpool as examples.

Rousing in a shallow fermentation is very important - Yorkshire squares facilitate this, but basic open fermenters also work. What you don't want is sterile anaerobic, fermentions under pressure!"

Dave

Maybe its time to rekindle brewing in the bath again :ph34r:

So looks like you need to adapt to the conditions that this yeast experiences 'back 'ome if you want it to give its best.

FWIW every ferment I have done so far with the TT yeast (4 so far) has been in the 25L pail type fermenter with the lid just sitting on top, not sealed down and they have all gone great guns and made nice tasting beer. At the brewday held at my place last november people took wort away in various containers and one of the guys fermented his in a small ~10L jerrycan with only an airlock and reported a sluggish fermentation.

The TT website brewery tour has some interesting pics of TT fermentations
http://www.timothy-taylor.co.uk/taylor35.htm

Hi Voosher,

I will be going thru Adelaide on Friday Arvo - from Salisbury down to Moana..

I can bring some of my TTLA down and stop by for a taste.
Mine is 100% GP...with the new TT Yeast you gave me.

Tastes allright for being 3-4 weeks in the bottle.

PM me if you want to meet up somewhere.

It's ready!

Before my Canadian IPA trip, Ausdb slung me a sample of Landlord yeast, and using identical wort, I've pitched with both WLP007 and Landlord (pitching rates by cell count very similar). Wort was GP based and should be a decent litmus test for these two strains. PM me addresses and I'll post a sample of each.

You be the judge.

I've got a brew with this strain burblin away in at the moment.

The gas coming from the airlock had a standard ale ester scent,but there was a distinct character about it that had my brain struggling to ID from the olfactory memory prompt.

It hit me 2day,now promise you won't berate me and black ban me,but it was S04 :unsure:

That's definitely an unusual skill you have there. How many yeast strains can you identify from the airlock smell? :rolleyes:

Not questioning your nasal brilliance, but could it have been the hops? :unsure:

That's definitely an unusual skill you have there. How many yeast strains can you identify from the airlock smell? :rolleyes:

Not questioning your nasal brilliance, but could it have been the hops? :unsure:

Nah its not a hoppy smell, its a sort of faint minerally whiff at the end.

It was always there in an s04 beer @ a 7 day(carbed) tasting and in the airlock.

I havn't used So4 for years but have a total trust in my olfactory prompted memory.

like a certain smell from childhood takes you straight to a vivid memory or the smell of a certain perfume from a long distant Girlfriend can trigger an instant and involuntary Stiffy :eek: (is that too much info?)

I just went and did it to be certain and its definitely it.

As an aside I do have a largish and evergrowing nose so that might help

like a certain smell from childhood takes you straight to a vivid memory or the smell of a certain perfume from a long distant Girlfriend can trigger an instant and involuntary Stiffy :eek: (is that too much info?)

:lol: :lol: Don't do anything further... You may be charged with being an "accessory after the fat".

Warren -

Yes, way too much information. :blink:

Definitely too much information. :unsure:

Is it you, Dave?

Bruce_bald_and_big_nose_2_copy.jpg

Actually, it's interesting info. Not sure why it would be so similar to S04. Maybe it's evidence of the great yeast scam of 2006. :lol:

I kegged a bitter yesterday, first attempt with the TT yeast.

It attenuated quite well - 1.044 down to 1.009 in 5 days, then down to 1.008 after another 6.

It had one feature which I have never seen before. I'm used to the top of the beer being free from krausen after the fermentation is finished - it all drops to the bottom. This beer had a floating layer of yeast still on top. The beer was crystal clear and there was still a sizeable yeast cake. I was tempted to scoop it up and save it but I won't be brewing for a few weeks so it would probably have gone to waste.

Has anyone noticed this characteristic with this yeast, or any other English yeasts?

Goatherder

This is just a characteristic of a true top cropping yeast. I've recently used some Wyeast 1338 which showed the same traits. It's no problem, just rack the beer carefully and try and avoid carrying the clumps over to your secondary, keg or bottling bucket.

Just got hold of some of this yeast myself. Many thanks to The Drunk Arab for sending it to me with some rather nice looking beers. :)

I plan to use it in a Brown Ale/Mild then a Special Bitter. :beerbang:

Warren -

Actually, it's interesting info. Not sure why it would be so similar to S04. Maybe it's evidence of the great yeast scam of 2006. :lol:

If it is a true top cropping yeast then it ain't SO4. Maybe a similar ester profile though, they are English strains after all. SO4 i almost found to be a bottom fermenting yeast it flocculates that hard.

It had one feature which I have never seen before. I'm used to the top of the beer being free from krausen after the fermentation is finished - it all drops to the bottom. This beer had a floating layer of yeast still on top.

Yup, Ive just done 2 brews with this yeast. It has the floatiest krausen (or more correctly "barm" I think) that you will ever see. Even a starter in a PET bottle fridged for 2 days wont drop the barm.

I used 5% light crystal and a 22 degree open ferment, which seems to have balanced the attenuative nature and works with this yeast very nicely.

If it is a true top cropping yeast then it ain't SO4. Maybe a similar ester profile though, they are English strains after all. SO4 i almost found to be a bottom fermenting yeast it flocculates that hard.

don't get me wrong,I wasn't implying that it was S04,just that the ester profile was dead ringer.
After all lots of those english strains would be related at some point in the past and have probably mutated and changed ,but still retain similar characteristics.

Nice one, now I know what a top cropper looks like.

If I were to harvest and repitch this yeast I'm assuming it would be best done at high krausen. Would the floating yeast still be in good shape for repitching after the ferment is done?

Latest posts

Back