Time To Save Some Money, Help Me Brew My Own Beer.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm so I drunk buckets of the stuff. Blind for years, ilke all good aussie boys between 18-30. Now im older and I dont get blind anymore. It hurts too much. A few on a hot day and two after work is about the limit nowdays.

With the price of piss rapidly climbing to $50.00 a slab, its time to fight back.

I have no doubt I will be a good brewer, its just that I dont know where to start.

I need your advice on what method to choose. Beginners kits from 60-99 bucks, all seem about he same, whats the difference.

I wouldnt mind bypassing that step and starting on the little kegs, but I love drinking out of a stubby, especially outside. So can the keg brewing thing be used for stubbies?

Hows this for an idea, write me a list of what I need and Ill go buy it. Im easily led.

Id like to get into big creamy beers, Im afraid after the first mouthful commercial beer tastes like nothing anymore.

So can ya tell me what method to use and write me a list?

Please

ta

mick :beer:

Mick

The keg set up is going to cost around 400 skins, plus mums fridge , plus co2 canister rental and gas. The Coopers kit is as good as any to start with and is avaliable at Big W etc. Probaly might want to try with bottling your beer before kegging, just to get your legs, after then you'll be as addicted as the rest of us.

welcome aboard

redgums :super:

Totally agree with Redgums, the Coopers kit is a great one to start off with.
You've gotta crawl before you can walk.
All the best!
:beer:

welcome to Beer World mick,

a few things,
use good yeast,
practice good sanitation, the iodine based sanitisers are worth the money imo,
don't be wary of trying a few different additions to your kits,
have patience and don't stress.

cheers and good luck

yard

Ohhh Uncle Fester, how much I miss you! Its great to see your face again!

Yeah I've gone from $12 a batch to about $25 a batch, however enjoying my first two partial mash's and have to say result is worth it.

+ I get 23 litres rather then 20 litres which I used to do to increase body and flavour of kit beers.

When starting out i reckon the best advice re equipment would be the following.
Any old kit that takes your fancy is fine, make something you like.
A starter kit and a few bottles is all you need, dont buy seperate just get the beginners pack, it WILL see you right, all homebrewers are gear whores (you will be soon! so dont peak early by getting distracted by the shiny stuff in the shop)
Saying that there are two additional things i would recommend.
Cleaning and sanitising is key, and to be honest its a ballache so i would recomend an additional fermenting bin or a really big bucket to allow you to make a big batch of sanitiser to clean everything in. It is a lot easier han trying to do everything in the sink!
Also get an auto siphon, a siphon stopping half way is inviting infections and oxidation as you move it around trying to restart it.
Bottle wise splurge and buy two boxes of pet bottles, the reasons are three fold. No labels to remove etc they are fairly clean when you get them so sanitising them is eaier, no caping to do (therefore no need to buuy caps or capper.) and my fave you can tell when the bottles have conditioned and primed because they go hard!

I remember my first trip to the shop, when i told the owner i wanted to start brewing he dumped a beginners kit and told me to pick a kit from the shelves. When i mentioned wort chillers, propane burners kegs etc, he simply said "dont need them, if you cant brew from this basic eqpt you cant brew with loads of gear." which is about right, no amount of gear will produce decent beer if you are a sloppy brewer.

I am waffling now but that last point has made me remember the other piece of kit thats essential knowledge, get a book (opinion differs but palmer, papizan or wheeler are all great) use these forums, as forums go its pretty friendly (better than the ones in uk!) and find a local brew shop and talk to the owner, they are a fount of knowledge.

Latest posts

Back