Time In Fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harry72

Reaction score
Hello all,

Well, here is another one of those "i'm new to this" posts! I am in the process of brewing my second batch and it has now been in the fermenter for 2 weeks and i am getting an SG reading of 1016 off a start of 1049 - based on my first batch i would say this will need another week. I am using one of the pub draught kits from my local brew shop. The first batch i made was a Munich Lager that was in the fermenter for just over 3 weeks.

My question is, is it normal for the brews to be in for about 3 weeks in a fermenter? When you read the instructions, and looking at some people's posts, it seems more normal for them to be in for about 10 days so i'm just checking if i'm doing everything correctly. I also do use a heat pad so i keep the temperature around the 20 degree mark as it is in a cool part of the house.

Any feedback would be great.

Cheers,
Hazwald

To answer your question, maybe.

There are alot of variables.... Ingredients, yeast strain, yeast pitching rate, temps etc etc etc....

It could be perfectly normal or very unusual.

PS What were the ingredients etc?

3 weeks with an Ale yeast seems a bit long. even at 20 deg. A bit more info would help with determining your FG.

cheers

From pitching the yeast - how long did it take to start bubbling ?

3 weeks is slightly long perhaps but definitely nothing to worry about.

If you can post your recipe (as detailed as you can) people will have a better idea of whether or not 1016 is too high for it to be close to finished.

hydrometer or refractometer...
that screwed me up last week <_<

Thanks all for the above - i'm trying to get the list of ingredients now - made another newbie mistake by not writing everything down and throwing the boxes out!!! I know the first one was a Munich Lager tin and i used the yeast from under the lid. I also added a brewcraft enhancer to it (not sure at this stage which one - i got it from Liquorcraft in Oakleigh if that means anything to anyone). It started bubbling and died down after about 4 days. After about 2 weeks the gravity reading was about 1018 and after the 3rd week it was down at about 1013 (which is when i bottled it).

The second one i will have to get the ingredients list as it was a can, a separate packet of yeast and a hops bag. After doing a bit more reading on here last night i think it may be ready to bottle as all the muck that was on the top has now gone and it has started to clear in the fermenter. I will take another gravity reading tonight and if it is about the same (1016) i will consider bottling it.

I think i'm just trying to over analyse it - i guess my ultimate quiestion would be if i left it in there for 3 weeks anyway, is it going to do it any harm? I'm guessing not - the only harm i'm doing is i can't get the 3rd kit i've bought into the fermenter!!!

Cheers,
Hazwald

I think i'm just trying to over analyse it - i guess my ultimate quiestion would be if i left it in there for 3 weeks anyway, is it going to do it any harm? I'm guessing not - the only harm i'm doing is i can't get the 3rd kit i've bought into the fermenter!!!

Cheers,
Hazwald

3 weeks in the fermenter will be no problem at all, most of mine sit for 2, but if I don't have time or spare kegs then it stays there for 3. I don't reckon even 4 weeks would be a problem. All IMO anyway

3 weeks in the fermenter will be no problem at all, most of mine sit for 2, but if I don't have time or spare kegs then it stays there for 3. I don't reckon even 4 weeks would be a problem. All IMO anyway

I have done a few at 3 weeks too and was told similar things.

I think it would be fair to say that when your hydrometer readings are the same for 2-3 days it would be ready.

Hey Hazwald,

Get your hydrometer out and take 2 readings 2-3 days apart. Get temp to 20 deg C to ensure it will finish by iteslf.

Forget the bubbling, air locks are evil and may deceive you; rely solely on your hydrometer readings.

When the 2 readings are the same 3 days apart then you're OK to bottle it.

All,

Thanks for that - i will take a reading tonight and if it is the same as cup day then i'm going to bottle. I always thought it should be round the 1010 mark, but if it is constant at 1016 then i'm sure it will be fine. I just want to get the next batch in so i can get the stout in after that......oh dear, only been at it for a month or so and i'm already thinking of another fermenter!

Well just took another reading and it is 1016 so i would assume from that it won't change any further?? It has now been in for 14 days.

I would say it's still a tad high if all that went into the brew was the kit and a bag of malt/dex mix (especially if you expected an FG of 1010). I'd bottle in PET and check the firmness of the bottles every couple of days. After a week crack one open and if it's overcarbed then vent all the other ones. Or if you can wait a little longer, you can use a method that someone on here posted up a few weeks ago, draw off a sample into a small juice bottle or something, cap it, shake the shit out of it and put it in a very warm spot with the cap loose enough to vent any co2, after a few days take a reading of the sample and that'll be the lowest that beer will get to. If it's still not far off what your 1016 reading is then all's good, if it's dropped down to something like 1008, then the ferment you have would most likely be stuck. If thats the case then racking would be the best option, but if you bottle, deffinatly go with PET and vent as needed.

Has anyone mentioned yet that he may have an inaccurate hydrometer and / or isn't doing temp adjustments?

It wouldn't hurt to float the hydrometer in a 20 dergees C water sample to see if it reads 0000.

Well i did hold off bottling it last night as i am also inclinded to think it is still a bit high. I have checked the hydrometer in water and that does read correctly at 1000 so i'm comfortable with that, although Mark mentioned below about temperature adjustments - all i'm doing is taking a sample straight from the fermenter at its' temperature (which is about 20 degrees) so i don't know if there is something i should be doing here.

I might also do what homebrewer79 advised below as a test too. This batch seems to be following the same sort of time length as my first one and i'm thinking a couple more days might not hurt it - it seems to be following the same pattern as the first batch and i sampled that last night and was pretty impressed and it's only 2 weeks old!! :icon_cheers: They do say patience is a virtue, but it's not really one of mine! As long as i'm not doing it any harm i might just leave it a bit longer.

Thanks for all the hints so far!

Cheers,
Hazwald

And the ingredients are:

The Munich Lager recipe:
Brewcraft Munich Lager can + #15 Brew Booster 1kg

The Aussie Pub Draught recipe:
Wander Draught can + #15 Brew Booster 1kg + Pride of ringwood finishing hops 15g + Muntons Prem Gold yeast

The Aussie Draught is in there at the moment and is the one at about 1.016 and has been in there for 15 days now at about 20 degrees.

From memory that brew enhancer contains some maltodextrin (still reckon 1016 is a bit high though), and with only 1 pack of that Muntons yeast (If they're still 7g) I'd say the yeasties are a bit stressed out from underpitching. Give that test I posted up earlier (I think it was Butters that posted it first) a go and see how it goes. Just make sure you give the sample a good shake to airate it nice and good, and keep it warm, high 20's even I think was the suggestion, keep it covered in glad wrap or foil. Should have an answer in a couple of days me thinks.

Thanks for that - i'll give it a try tonight when i get home. If it has been underpitched is there anything i can do to rectify it, or will it just be a case of bottle it up and chalk it up to a learning experience (I'm sure it will still be an enjoyable beer too)?

where do you live 20 degree in november and you use a heating pad what is the high and low temp maybe try to keep a couple degree cooler and a more constant temperature Muntons Prem Gold yeast 15 to 25 c 17 c might be a good temp .Some sort of insulated enclosure like old fridge or freeser or insulated box to stop wide temperater variations .If fementation has stoped better to put in pet bottles as it can go off if left in fermenter to long i have a batch with funny taste but is drinkable so will have to force myself to drink .

Back