Time between starter steps

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerdrinkingbob

milk is for babies......
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Got a litre starter of 1214 on the go with yeast farts throughout the flask. My question is this, when you step do you just wait for the growth phase to finish, crash chill for 24 hours and proceed to the next step?

I understand benefits of letting the last step finish but not sure about in between steps with starters.

Cheers

BDB

Starters are best stepped up when they are still active, usually around 18-24 hrs after pitching. As 1214 is known to be a slow starter it would depend on how long the lag phase was.

it's times like these i wish i had a 3 ltr flask, unfortunately i have no choice but to put the yeasties to sleep.... so i can decant and step into the 2 litre flask.

I have a stirplate, flasks in 2L, 1L and 500mL sizes and reckon I could make do with just the two smaller flasks and a whole bunch of PET containers like those shown below.

My procedure is as follows - once I've got a small amount of yeast to get a starter going (whether from a slant filled with wort or a bit from a previous saved yeast or smack pack) I put it into ~500mL of wort on my stirplate and let it stir away for about twelve hours or so.

I then pour the first lot of starter into 1L versions of the PET bottles shown in link below and set aside. I then prepare another 500mL or wort by boiling (have been using old kit concentrate recently) and pouring into the water and sanitiser rinsed ehrlenm. flask for a bit more boiling, cover with foil and allow to cool down in a cold water bath.

When it's cool enough, the first lot of starter should have mostly settled so I pour most of the beer into a glass for a taste test and assuming it tasted ok, I shake up the remaining settled yeast - pour most of it into 250mL bottles like those shown below and the remainder into the flask for the next batch of starter.

I basically repeat the above cycle several times - combining batches of yeast (checking with taste tests of the beer or added boiled/cooled water, of course) until I've got enough yeast. I can grow about 120mLs of settled yeast after about 5 or 6 cycles over several days, which is like about 2-3 vials of Whitelabs yeast.

With rinsed yeast slurry from previous brews, I can just go right into the last stage to refresh the yeast.

[zoom]

These bottles are great but haven't seen them around for a long time - there are drink bottles like these that could be used, sanitation is key (including pulling out the cap liners when cleaning).

Back