Thoughts On Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eyelusion

Reaction score
Just put another brew down.
What do you all think? Does it sound ok?

1 x Coopers APA 1.7 Kg
1 x Morgans Extra Pale Liquid Malt 1.5 Kg
250g Dextrose
15g Amarillo @ 20 min
10g Amarillo @ 10 min
10g Amarillo dry hopped
Also steeped 200g Crystal for 20 min and used the strained liquid to do the boil.
Yeast US05
23L

Cheers for any thoughts guys.
I'm tryin to get as much experience here as I can.

I'm totally hooked on making beer. :beerbang:

And this is the 1st time ive used grain. :icon_cheers:

Looking fine there Eyelusion.
If you fermented that nice and clean, I would definitely partake and enjoy.

Looking fine there Eyelusion.
If you fermented that nice and clean, I would definitely partake and enjoy.

Always clean! :)

I tasted it when I did my OG and it didnt taste that great.
I'm hoping that it will ferment and grab a much better taste.
It's obviously the grain that im not use to tasting.

Looks good to me.

Hope you are a fan of Amarillo hops, they'll certainly come through in your brew, but they're very much in style for an APA.
Next time, maybe try Cascade hops, they're my favourite for an APA.

Don't worry about the taste at this stage. It is not fermented, and very green. What matters is what it tastes like once fermented, and bottled or kegged.

Looks good to me.

Hope you are a fan of Amarillo hops, they'll certainly come through in your brew, but they're very much in style for an APA.
Next time, maybe try Cascade hops, they're my favourite for an APA.

Don't worry about the taste at this stage. It is not fermented, and very green. What matters is what it tastes like once fermented, and bottled or kegged.

Cheers

Yeah I was going to go with Casacde but Ive never had Amarillo before, so I thought Id give it a shot.

I love Amarillo, I'd down this batch in no time. Cascade is a bit more subtle so IMO because you've gone all malt the Amarillo is the go. Mmmmmm, Amarillo :icon_drool2: . As Warra says though, if it's too much for ya, give the Cascade a crack and it'll prolly get you where you need to be

Funny as i just put down almost the exact same recipe just without the amarillo at flameout.

Dont worry too much about the taste now, my favourite recipe taste HORRID until fully conditioned, then it truly blooms. My worst brew made to date tasted great before bottling... so its hard to say.

Amarillo is beautiful but not for everyones tastes

OK Here is the update for all interested.

Beautiful. Just simply beautiful.
Im so so impressed. This recipe is one Ill be doing again and again.
Im just about to put down another batch but am going to try Cascade Hops instead and keep everything eles the same.
I tell you that adding the Crystal really added a complexity to the beer.
Thanks all for the advise
Cheers :beerbang:

OK Here is the update for all interested.

Beautiful. Just simply beautiful.
Im so so impressed. This recipe is one Ill be doing again and again.
Im just about to put down another batch but am going to try Cascade Hops instead and keep everything eles the same.
I tell you that adding the Crystal really added a complexity to the beer.
Thanks all for the advise
Cheers :beerbang:

I bet it is beautiful. I make a very similar kit but with Coopers Real Ale, it has more bittering, about 30 compared to Pale Ales 20 ish IBU. Next time you make it with Amarillo you might want to try adding 10g Simcoe at flameout. That tiny addition adds grapefruit/ mandarine/ sherbet - flavor/ aroma which
I really think improves it. I love Amarillo but by itself I find after about 8-9 pints it gets a bit too sweet or something, it gets hard to drink. That little addition fixes that for me. That Simcoe is good shit!!

I bet it is beautiful. I make a very similar kit but with Coopers Real Ale, it has more bittering, about 30 compared to Pale Ales 20 ish IBU. Next time you make it with Amarillo you might want to try adding 10g Simcoe at flameout. That tiny addition adds grapefruit/ mandarine/ sherbet - flavor/ aroma which
I really think improves it. I love Amarillo but by itself I find after about 8-9 pints it gets a bit too sweet or something, it gets hard to drink. That little addition fixes that for me. That Simcoe is good shit!!

Cheers thanks for the tip. I'll definitely try that5 next time :)

Latest posts

Back