Those Darn Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm definitely with Wardhog on the unhopped extract idea. One thing to consider is using DME instead of LME. LME tends to stale much quicker than DME, so unless you are sure that the LME is fresh, it might not be the best thing to use. The kit twang that people often talk about is supposed to derive from stale extract.

Your hop schedule looks great and the times are spot on. Personally, I'd say you could back off the bittering addition a bit. I'd say you could go 20g of Super Pride at 60, with 25g additions of Cascade at 20, 5 and 0. You could also use that last addition to dry hop with (or as well :D ).

With adding the extract, you could also just add the other 2kg of extract about 10 minutes from the end.

Either way, seems like a tasty experiment. :super:

Thank you Sir. :party:

I can't take any credit for the hops sched, it all you blokes.

The reason I opted for the 45min addition was to give me time to settle down and settle the wort to a good rolling boil before adding the hops. Read a lot about boilover etc and having only teabag experience under my belt, well.......... I didn't want to start out too cocky only to have to clean up the kitchen. :lol:

As I don't rack out, I didn't think dry hopping was a goer, normally leave the brew in the fermenter for 2 weeks before bottling.

Cascade lends a really good citrus/passionfruit kind of a taste, it's a great hop. As Stuster said, I'd cut back your bittering addition by 5 grams, but that's just me. I'm not a "Shovel as many hops as you can into a brew" kind of guy.

I'd suggest getting 3kg of light malt extract (as opposed to amber or dark), whether it be liquid or dry.

I like a bit of bite in my beer, but I don't want to over hop.

Thanks for the flavour info, I didn't have a clue what thay taste like, just a punt, and looks like it paid off. Hopefully SWMBO won't like it.

Poor old Ned gunna have a heart attack when I go in there next week :lol: :lol:

I thought the DME had a particular 'twang' about it's flavour that is why I was going to opt for the LME. From memory he's got quite a few different varieties of LME, I'm sure I've seen pils & a Vienna something or other...

Thank you Sir. :party:

I can't take any credit for the hops sched, it all you blokes.

The reason I opted for the 45min addition was to give me time to settle down and settle the wort to a good rolling boil before adding the hops. Read a lot about boilover etc and having only teabag experience under my belt, well.......... I didn't want to start out too cocky only to have to clean up the kitchen. :lol:

As I don't rack out, I didn't think dry hopping was a goer, normally leave the brew in the fermenter for 2 weeks before bottling.

I always add my bittering hops at 45 min in a 60 min boil. I find it works a treat.

I would sugest you start racking your beer. You will be suprised at the difference.

If it firments down in 4 days, and you rack it strait off the yeast cake, it can only take 2 days to settle to clear.
Also leaving the beer in the primary yeast is suposed to give some funny flavours.

All you need is another clean firmenter and a bit of 12mm plactic tube.

its as easy as that.

cheers

Thank you Tony.

You've caught me. I'm so lazy it takes me 2 weeks to change my mind. :lol:

I'm working towards racking, but unfortunately lack of space is a killer. As it is it took me ages to negotiate with SWMBO for freezer space for 4 bags of hops. When my brewing shed aka garage/workshop goes up things will change.

At present I have 2 fermenter in the bathroom and 1 in the spareroom along with bottles, gear etc taking up SWMBO's hobby room and she isn't amused. But I can't get the shed up until I can demolish her garden, she isn't amused. Talk about Catch 22.....

But I'm enjoying myself and drinking pretty good beer to boot.

Oh and I almost forgot - communicating with good people over this modern technology.....

Latest posts

Back