Thomas Fawcett Malts - Substitutes?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackbock

Braugesell
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

This topic has almost certainly been done before, but I am looking for some links which will help me substitute TF malts (which seem popular in many AHB recipes...) for grains that I can actually get. For example, many of the AHB database recipes use TF choc. I have no idea how dark this is or whether there is a direct substitute available. I've had a quick look in the Wiki and tried some searches to no avail.

beers

Hi Guys,

This topic has almost certainly been done before, but I am looking for some links which will help me substitute TF malts (which seem popular in many AHB recipes...) for grains that I can actually get. For example, many of the AHB database recipes use TF choc. I have no idea how dark this is or whether there is a direct substitute available. I've had a quick look in the Wiki and tried some searches to no avail.

beers

blackbock,

Pretty well it's a straight substitute with Bairds malts which should be readily available from good suppliers.
TF Choc like Bairds Choc, can cover quite a colour range depending on batch. Again a good supplier should be able to give you the exact batch colour upon request. We certainly provide this on request for everyone of our grains.

cheers Ross

I think Bairds malts will be your best option for substitution - it seems to the only UK malt that the importers are getting. Just sub Bairds for the TF and you will should be OK.

As for choc, Bairds have 2 versions - a standard and a pale. According to Beersmith, TF choc is about 1000 EBC. According to MHB's order sheet, the Bairds standard choc is in the 1100-1300 range and the pale choc is 600 EBC. I like the pale choc - you can add a bit more for the same colour and get lots more choc yumminess.

edit: oops, beaten by Ross at the finish. d'oh.

Back