Thomas Cooper I P A

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have just kegged my first T C IPA. FG came in at 1024, is this normal. Standard drop, be2, t bag fuggles

Have just kegged my first T C IPA. FG came in at 1024, is this normal. Standard drop, be2, t bag fuggles

That seems way too high. A couple of possibilities:

1. It hadn't finished fermenting.

2. Your method of measuring gravity is suspect.

Sam

thats really high i would think otherwise if you had a more higher alcho brew but simple BE#2 should come down to adleast 1010.

i did a CSPA not long ago with over average fermantables to create more %alc and that sat abit high on the gravity scale but i new it would happen.

more importantly what temps fermented and what yeast strain ??

Lucky you kegged it eh. Bottles would explode pretty quick with an FG like that. I agree that it should get down to around 1010 with those fermentables.

I guess you have to run with it now but it will probably be on the sweet side. Or maybe leave the keg at room temp and vent it occassionaly to let it ferment out more.

Others might have better advice I'm sure

Good luck

thats really high i would think otherwise if you had a more higher alcho brew but simple BE#2 should come down to adleast 1010.

i did a CSPA not long ago with over average fermantables to create more %alc and that sat abit high on the gravity scale but i new it would happen.

more importantly what temps fermented and what yeast strain ??

Fermented at 16deg for 12 days. read 1024 for 2 days with all activity stopped. Thinking about it maybe the temperature was too low. Yeaqst was the coopers kit pkt.

that could be the problem.... im fermenting a coopers bitter atm and using its kit yeast got it held at 17deg and its shooting away so i dont no how one DEG would really affect a yeast that much. i like to boost the temp up to 20 - 22 deg for a day at the end of fermentation just to get that last hurl you could say out of the yeasties just to make sure they have done there deed lol.
but i have had temps drop to 16 with the coopers pkt yeasts and they have turned out low FG's so.... sorry mate some body may have a better opinion but im out lol.

cheers stevo.

G'day,

Have done the TC IPA previously and with BE2 no extra Hops, I got her down to 1012, so I might suggest IMHO that 1024 is not low enough and that perhaps at 16C your yeasties slowed right down to almost fall asleep.

Not too sure what other think of this K&K, all my mates raved about it. It's not a bad drop for that particular range though personally the Sparkling Ale is my preference, especially using a cultvated yeast from some Coopers stubbies (thanks Energex)..

Spiderpig

G'day,

Have done the TC IPA previously and with BE2 no extra Hops, I got her down to 1012, so I might suggest IMHO that 1024 is not low enough and that perhaps at 16C your yeasties slowed right down to almost fall asleep.

Not too sure what other think of this K&K, all my mates raved about it. It's not a bad drop for that particular range though personally the Sparkling Ale is my preference, especially using a cultvated yeast from some Coopers stubbies (thanks Energex)..

I brewed this for the first time last night:
Coopers IPA goo tin
BE2
250gms LDME
Nottingham Ale Yeast

No extra hops as I figured this would be a pretty bitter style anyway (45 IBU I think?). What kind of bottle conditioning time are people leaving this for? LHBS guy reckons 3 month minimum.

Hi,

I let mine sit for 3 months and they were very good. I did try them at 1 month, and again at 2 months - both were very drinkable. At 3 months though, they stood no chance of making 4 - that's all I'll say on that!!

Cheers!

Back