This Years Barley Crop

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mash head

Reaction score
tractor_and_seeder.JPGcrop_2.JPG[attachmen
t=27505:crop_1.JPG]View attachment 27498
View attachment 27499View attachment 27500
I have finally finished putting this years barley crop in and thought that I would post some pictures for any one interestred

Attachments

• crop_1.JPG
    crop_1.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 41
Best wishes mate hope you have a cracker.

Hi Greg.

Thanks for posting the pic's. What would the ideal conditions entail to help make this crop to meet malting spec as apposed to just feed?

Look forward to progress postings.

devo

Sorry for any computer spasticity but it took me and swmbo ages to try and work out how to take photos from lots of meaga bites to less. :lol:
Cheers Greg

Looks great!

Are you a barley farmer primarily or do you have other crops?

Best luck with the coming season either way! I killed my hops from last season, so I'm clearly not a greenthumb ^_^ !

Cheers!

good luck on your crop, remembering that it's guys like you that keep guys like me in beer all year.... ;)

Well done Greg ,

Keep the Barley coming we will keep mashing

Pumpy :)

Hi Greg.

Thanks for posting the pic's. What would the ideal conditions entail to help make this crop to meet malting spec as apposed to just feed?

Look forward to progress postings.

devo/quote]

At the moment more rain but not too much because if it goes under water it will die and hopefully a season we used to call spring which has gone missing in the last few years. As for the nutrition there should be enough nitrogen in the soil after a legume crop but if conditions look good I will throw more N at it but without a spring too much N will push the protien over the limit for malt specs. Will get beter photos soon we had 10mm since those shots and the paddock is nearly entirely green now. Keep brewing people and enlarge the demand - supply ratio. :icon_chickcheers:
Cheers Greg

Good stuff mate and hope you have a bumper eh
Farmers around here have been sowing dry for most of last week, and we had a big rain on Monday, so theres smiles from ear to ear on most of them.

Hoping for a good year after 12 years of dry dry dry

....Keep brewing people and enlarge the demand - supply ratio. :icon_chickcheers:
Cheers Greg

I can completely guarantee that mate! I truly hope the crop is a bumper mate!

Cheers

Chappo

BTW keep those photo's and info coming. Great to have a Brewer and grower on the forum.

Chappo, no sheep in those pics, why are you interested?????

:ph34r:

:p

Cheers

Good work Greg, thanks for the pics.
If you can please post updates as they go along, as in the good and the bad of barley, I think it would be appreciated by potential amateur growers.

Chappo - you owe me a new keyboard.... Just snorted some Simcoe Blonde out my nose and all over mine... You dodgy, funny ******* :p

:p

Cheers!

At the moment more rain but not too much because if it goes under water it will die and hopefully a season we used to call spring which has gone missing in the last few years. As for the nutrition there should be enough nitrogen in the soil after a legume crop but if conditions look good I will throw more N at it but without a spring too much N will push the protien over the limit for malt specs. Will get beter photos soon we had 10mm since those shots and the paddock is nearly entirely green now. Keep brewing people and enlarge the demand - supply ratio. :icon_chickcheers:
Cheers Greg

That brings up a point. What are the nutrients that Australia is deficient in or completely lacking in that are found in soils elsewhere around the world?

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Big tractor! Broom Brooom! Chugga Chugga Brrrrroooooomm!

Chappo

Now I know where you got the idea:
hornby-hobbies-shaun-the-sheep-and-tractor-1-76-scale-gift-set.jpg

Look closely and you'll see Chappo in there!
:D

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Cant say for the rest of Aus but we are deffinately defficient in copper on KI but with out soil tests you dont know. Ive only been cropping for the last 6 years and have neglected testing but thrown out trace elements to cover any deficientcies. Generally the main three nutrients are N P K which are in most broad acre fertilizers of which the crop got 100kg ha. So should be fine for the big three but there are plenty of others that can cause yield loss I did some leaf tissue tests last year with no major problems arising. To Chappo the tractor is only a baby but its the best I got at the moment. Its made in Russia and is sposed to be 90 horses but most people recon they would be lucky to be shetlands. Might post some bee hive pictures one day for you pete. Will keep you informed of crop progress.
Cheers Greg :icon_chickcheers:

OT: speaking of which, drew up new plans and diagrams for a high volume kenyan top bar hive. No excluders, smoke, chemicals, medicines, frames, all that jazz that goes along with langstroths.

Just need to source softwoods and hardwoods that wont break the bank, which is surprisingly backward in Oz.

..... the tractor is only a baby but its the best I got at the moment. Its made in Russia and is sposed to be 90 horses but most people recon they would be lucky to be shetlands.....

They're not a bad tractor if you like working at night, don't need to switch on the lights, the radiation glow lights the way :ph34r:
Looks like the combine's done a few laps in the past as well with a few red mite landing strips in between the furrows.

I'll keep my idea's on superphosphate to myself..

They're not a bad tractor if you like working at night, don't need to switch on the lights, the radiation glow lights the way :ph34r:
Looks like the combine's done a few laps in the past as well with a few red mite landing strips in between the furrows.

I'll keep my idea's on superphosphate to myself..

HAhahah, I thought you where going to say they're not a bad tractor if you like working at night, because no one can see that your driving a Belarus :lol:

but hay, back off the combine. Its a International :icon_cheers:

Latest posts

Back