Think My Hop Plant Is A Man

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spartan 117

Reaction score
Hey Guys

Bought a hop rhyzome from a member off here a little over a year ago and I think its a male plant. Didn't notice and flowering or cones last season but did some reading and a few articles said that this can be normal first time round. Anyway wondering if there's an easy way of telling before the plant is fully grown etc. And if it is male is there any use for it ?

Cheers

Aaron

Hey Guys

Bought a hop rhyzome from a member off here a little over a year ago and I think its a male plant. Didn't notice and flowering or cones last season but did some reading and a few articles said that this can be normal first time round. Anyway wondering if there's an easy way of telling before the plant is fully grown etc. And if it is male is there any use for it ?

Cheers

Aaron

did it have little white flowers last year?

Not that I could see but to be honest I was looking for cones, didn't do bucket loads of research first time around so I was just expecting cones.

Aaron

Not that I could see but to be honest I was looking for cones, didn't do bucket loads of research first time around so I was just expecting cones.

Aaron

pretty sure theres pics in last years hop plantations thread of male plants

Thanks for the pic link Boagsy. Mine definitely didn't have big bushy bunches of flowers like that.

Think I might just grow the thing again and see how she (or he) goes.

Thanks for your input guys.

Aaron

Thanks for the pic link Boagsy. Mine definitely didn't have big bushy bunches of flowers like that.

Think I might just grow the thing again and see how she (or he) goes.

Thanks for your input guys.

Aaron

Can you ask the person that gave you the rhizome? It will be the same sex as the one that your mate propogated from. Is it a named variety, like cascade or pride of ringwood? If it is then it will most likely be female.

Bloke I got it from actually found it in his back garden while digging up an area for grape vines I think. so he had no idea what variety it was. Checked the leaves and compared them to an article about identifying hops, looked like Goldings to me but until I actually get a cone I wont be able to tell

Aaron

Bloke I got it from actually found it in his back garden while digging up an area for grape vines I think. so he had no idea what variety it was. Checked the leaves and compared them to an article about identifying hops, looked like Goldings to me but until I actually get a cone I wont be able to tell

Aaron

Has he ever had his set hops? If he has then its a female, which means yours is too.

Latest posts

Back