Think Ive Stuffed This Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pourmeanother

Reaction score
Hey guys

Just after a quick reply , Had a brew frementing for just on a week now all going good sitting at 20 deg in my turned off fridge . Got cold a couple of nights so turned on the belt heater over a 3- 4 hour period all good . Till some idiot forgot to turn the ******* off . got to 34 deg . What are the chances its still ok . Did a gravity test 1.018 but was still hot when checked . Was expecting to finish about 1.012 . Will check in the morning when its cooled . Any thoughts ? Should I turn the fridge on to coll quickly or just let it go slow ?

Thanks

if you put the heater on after a week I think you will be ok. the first few days of ferment is when you want to keep it cool when the yeast are multiplying and doing there thing its not as critical at the last but 34 is a bit high, Id leave it and see what its like you may get away with it.

I just got on Ebay and bought a temp controller hopefully that will stop this happening again . Yes I think I will let it go and see what happens . Hate to see it go down the sink hole .

I'd definetly let it go as it would appear most of the ferment had already taken place with less chance of to many yeast badies.

Out of interest what did the temp drop too?

I have only been home 2 hrs , thats when i saw what id done so its still cooling now . Will try to get it back to 20 deg . Not sure weather to do this fast or slow can turn fridge on to cool it quick . What do you think ?

I have only been home 2 hrs , thats when i saw what id done so its still cooling now . Will try to get it back to 20 deg . Not sure weather to do this fast or slow can turn fridge on to cool it quick . What do you think ?

I think it will be ok as in a week a ale yeast has done most of it's work. The speed of the chill is of no importance now I would think. I would get it down to 20 and wait a week before bottling and hope that lessens any funky flavours.

cheers

Provided you have maintained a blanket of CO2 then you should be fine - I've kept bottled conditioned beer at 25 - 35 degrees for a couple of months and no problems although it can go downhill quicker than stored in a cool place. You might want to watch out for slight yeast autolysis taint, but with such a short period you shouldn't get that. If you are bottling, keep bottles as cool as possible so as not to compound any problems along those lines :icon_cheers:

What is the Yeast? Whether this is good/bad or doesn't matter, depends on the yeast strain, some yeasts it would be bad (lager), some it might be good (saison), and some it mightn't matter (esp. if fermentation is past 3/4 done)

Wraith

It was just the yeast supplied with the kit ( Tooheys Draught ) doesnt actually tell you what yeast it is . Coopers BE1 and 300 gms Honey .

Don't use the yeast that comes with the kits, they are rubbish, throw them in the bin, excellent dried yeasts are US-05 or Nottingham. Keep them in the low range for the cleanest result (If Possible) (US-05 15-24c, Nottingham, 14-21c).

Wraith

Thanks very much for all the help and advise . Will put it to good use in the future

Cheers Todd

A simillar thing happened to me the other week, i had a draught in sitting at around 22c the first day. About 2 days later i went into the shed and noticed in my haste i had sat the fermenter right where the sun shines through the window and it was sitting on 32c!!. I thought holy vrap its stuffed, i moved it to the floor and let it finish. When the fg was stable over 3 days i tasted it and it was absolutly beautiful!!, tasted better than stuff ive had bottle for a month or more. Dont really understand why.

Cheers Greg

Saying that kit yeasts are "rubbish" is a little harsh. More accurately they are "forgiving and flexible". In the OP's case this has been to his benefit. Some kit yeasts such as Morgan's Lager are good all round lager yeasts and I've made competition beers such as Australian Old Ales on straight Coopers kit yeast.
However once you get temperature control sorted out and start to gain a knowledge of different beer styles out there, you can start to explore the world of yeasts and, yes, there is a range of yeasts out there that are more appropriate to various styles. :icon_cheers:

Sorry, BribieG, Didn't mean to come across like that, I had had a few drinks when I posted that hehe, what I meant was that a kit beer could be improved by replacing the kit yeast with a better one, if he can't keep his beer under 20c, maybe a kit beer yeast is better for as you say it is 'forgiving', I was just trying to help the OP make the best beer possible.

Wraith

Saying that kit yeasts are "rubbish" is a little harsh. More accurately they are "forgiving and flexible". In the OP's case this has been to his benefit. Some kit yeasts such as Morgan's Lager are good all round lager yeasts and I've made competition beers such as Australian Old Ales on straight Coopers kit yeast.
However once you get temperature control sorted out and start to gain a knowledge of different beer styles out there, you can start to explore the world of yeasts and, yes, there is a range of yeasts out there that are more appropriate to various styles. :icon_cheers:

I was going to chime in on that won two but I had a beer or two and may not have sounded as diplomatic as you BribeG..

Done some good beers on kit yeast myself..

Cheers

Latest posts

Back