Things Young Kids Can Cook On The Outdoor Grill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katzke

Reaction score
This is about as off topic from home brewing as I have gotten.

Trying to find foods young kids can cook on an outdoor grill. My experience has always been they play while the designated adult cooks. We are trying to come up with ideas that a kid 9 to 11 years old could or would cook in the back yard on a gas outdoor grill. It must be foods that the average kid that age could cook properly and not hurt them selves.

When it comes to cooking on a fire when camping that gets easy. I have never seen a kid yet that did not want to poke sticks in a campfire.

You will notice I am in The USA. Give me the idea even if you think we can not get that food here. We may be able to substitute something and still use the idea.

Thanks

Marshmallows.

Damper sticks. Make up a shitload of dough, wrap a bit round a stick, hold it in the fire for a while, trying to cook it the best you can.
Have honey, butter, golden syrup handy..... it's still a mess, and never properly cooked, but fun anyway.

Remember doing this as a scout a couple of times.

My kids are about the same age and they are quite capable of cooking a basic BBQ. Nothing fancy - sausages, steaks, chicken. I'll give them a crack at kebabs next (the kind on the skewer). If they let it burn, they have to eat the worst ones... they soon learn. Or learn to enjoy the taste of charcoal.

A favourite with kids is BBQ bananas - leave the banana in its skin and cut a slot down the side. Stuff the slot with chocolate. Wrap in foil and bung on the BBQ.

Cheers
Dave

They'll probably have the most fun with shish kababs, they choose what goes in em and they get to baste and turn them.

Spuds in foil are always good for a fire too

add to airgeads idea with the bananas add marshmellows as well ;)
Camping for me means busting out the camp/dutch oven - doesnt feel like a camp trip without bustin the old cast iron dutch oven out.

if your talking on a gas grill - pizza?
Other wise the usual suspects, kebabs, cevapi, sausages, lamb chops (might be an expencive option in the US), corn, pineapple, burgers etc.

Chopped potatoes and carrots wrapped in foil with butter and honey. Really simple to prepare and cook. Believe me, they'll devour it.

Thanks for the ideas so far. Lots I would have never considered.

To clarify I am looking for ideas on a gas grill in the back yard. My experience is gas grills are not as forgiving or fun as a fire.

I will have to try the bananas and the potatoes and carrots wrapped in foil, they sound good.

According to that Junior Masterchef show, kids that age should be able to cook 8 courses of French-inspired Japanese-Thai-fusion fine dining cuisine.

Realistically though, keep it simple. Something that's hard to stuff up and doesn't require too much messing around with on the grill - like sausages, kebabs, ribs.

An American asking Aussies about what to put on a BBQ and nobody's told him to "chuck a couple of shrimp on the barby" I'm shocked!

Shrimp fall through the grill. Prawns on the other hand ;)

On tge same thinking of kebabs, how bout burgers? Chop anything up for them like onion, let them grate cheese cartot etc, they can mix it up with hanfs, shape the patties etc and cook them. Simpke as. Can substitute beef for any neat sych as lamb and pork (50/50 mix) etc.

Not exactly bq, but scones are almost fullproof. Damper as mentioned is alnost the same. U cman thriw in saltanas etc to maje it differsnt.

Latest posts

Back