Thermostat For Deep Freezer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richo

Reaction score
I picked up a 700 litre deep freeze. I know this question has been asked in the past but I have got myself lost.

I want to convert the deep freeze into a Keg fridge what is the best way to go about it?

I have spoken with Refridgeration companies and they are telling me that you need to replace the compressor and gas you cannot just stick a fridge thermostat on the deep freeze or it will blow the compressor up.

What is the best and cheapest way to go?

Good score.
Stuff the fridgy guys.
Check this topic out for the details on a thermostat from Tobins. I'm using it in my new keg freezer and it is working a treat.
On my fermentation freezer I'm using the Growarm one from Grain and Grape in Melbourne.

Beers,
Doc

I was told a similar thing , but I never have done what I am told
It's working well , and it's outside , in the pilbara

Batz

Richo said:
I picked up a 700 litre deep freeze. I know this question has been asked in the past but I have got myself lost.

I want to convert the deep freeze into a Keg fridge what is the best way to go about it?

I have spoken with Refridgeration companies and they are telling me that you need to replace the compressor and gas you cannot just stick a fridge thermostat on the deep freeze or it will blow the compressor up.

What is the best and cheapest way to go?
A fridge company will say you need a new compressor and gas because the customer doesn't realise that the compressor and and gas will be replaced by the same items.

the gas will most likely be r134a unless it's an older r12 system.
The compressor will be the same spec. the only diff will be the higher head pressure by having a warmer compartment but it'll only run a fraction of the time.
And they haver an overload to protect the unit anyway.

I replaced my chest freezer th'stat with a new fridge th'stat. Very easy to do. I got it from a second hand white good dealer/repairer. The freezer now sits between 3 and 6 degrees indoors. Outside it went lower (2-4). Its worked now for about a month or so no probs.

I've been thinking about the same deal actually regarding using a fridge thermostat in a freezer. For a cheap option guys, scout around tip places and/or a fridgey/fridge repairer's place and I bet you could score a working thermostat out of a fridge that you could then go and stick in a freezer to great effect. The only issue would perhaps be getting the capillary out of the fridge as sometimes they are in tricky spots but hey, this should work fine to control your freezer? For the most part it is the compressor and or gas that dies in a fridge, usually the thermostat is ok.

Cheers, Justin

Well I bought the Termostat from rsaustralia ranging from -35 to +35

Ordered Tuesday Armo arrived at my home Wednesday Am

Just replaced the old with the new, wired on the exactly same terminals as the original. Had to drill a hole in through the bottom of the freezer to place the new probe inside, as the original hole for the probe was way to small, This way I will get a more acurate reading for temperature control with the probe being inside.

This was done through the Box area above the compressor as no gas lines travell through this area.

Working Fine

Thanks to all who answered to help me out

Richo

I know this is a very old post but could anyone help me with the model number or part number or something for this thermostat from RS Australia, they have so many thermostats I cant work out which one it would be.

Couldnt you just get a mashmaster fridgemate for $40 and have full digi temp control? with the original compressor etc...

Back