Thermometers That Actually Work...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerald

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm pretty new to brewing but am loving learning so much about beer by actually making my own.

anyway i was just wondering what the best way to get an accurate temp reading from inside a fermenter is?

i was thinking of drilling a small hole in the side around the 24L mark. insert a grommet similar to the one on my airlock. then find a digital thermometer with a stick that can fill up the whole so its airtight and also be bendable enough that i can angle it slightly into the wort.

if this is a shocking idea, please tell me!

if other people have something better which works and isnt too expensive then post up a pic or an explanation.

thanks
gerald

Hey Gerald,

Your idea is nearly right, what your after is a thermowell. Ive used an old corny keg diptube with the end bend over a few times to close it off. This sticks through the lid and into the beer, I can now stick a thermometer or probe down inside.

Hopefully the pic makes it clear.

Cheers
Jye

DCP01984.jpg

I attach a sponge or piece of folded towel to the side of my fermenter, held in place by a couple of laccy bands. The thermometer probe is inserted between the towel and the fermenter and measures the temperature of the outside surface of the fermenter, insulated from the temperature of my fermenting fridge. It may not be the precision you are after, but it has to be pretty close to the temperature of the brew inside.

Jye

What is that "S" shaped thing on the fermenter lid, and what does it do.... :unsure:

....it looks like some sort of chute for putting the yeast in? :p

On a slightly more serious note, has anyone fitted a Mashmaster type thermometer on their fermenter?

Cheers,
TL

Jye
What is that "S" shaped thing on the fermenter lid, and what does it do.... :unsure:

Some guy on a video told me to use it and when it bubbles less than once a minute its time to bottle :p

Some guy on a video told me to use it and when it bubbles less than once a minute its time to bottle :p

You will have to send me a copy...did he also recommend Sodium Met as well

Back