There Are Bubbles Coming Out Of The Airlock

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

primusbrew

Reaction score
I am currently brewing a pale ale with this recipe:

1 Can of Coopers Australian Pale
1kg of Coopers Brew Enhancer 2
500g Dry malt extract
Recultured yeast from a bottle of Coopers Pale Ale

About 24 hours after I pitched the yeast it started foaming out of the airlock. I cleaned it up and checked it again this morning and it is still going and leaving a bit of a mess. It is fermenting at just under 20 degrees celcius.

Is this something that I should worry about? Does this mean that the brew is spoiled?

I am currently brewing a pale ale with this recipe:

1 Can of Coopers Australian Pale
1kg of Coopers Brew Enhancer 2
500g Dry malt extract
Recultured yeast from a bottle of Coopers Pale Ale

About 24 hours after I pitched the yeast it started foaming out of the airlock. I cleaned it up and checked it again this morning and it is still going and leaving a bit of a mess. It is fermenting at just under 20 degrees celcius.

Is this something that I should worry about? Does this mean that the brew is spoiled?

What size is your fermenter, how much headspace?

Sounds like your yeast is having a real good time, should be getting some bottles cleaned and ready, you'll need them in about a fortnight. Search for some info on bulk priming for this brew - and you should start worrying about what you will make next!

Keep that temp below 20.

It is in a 25 litre fermenter and I made it up to 22 litres.

It is in a 25 litre fermenter and I made it up to 22 litres.

That only leaves 3 litres of headspace. Little wonder your kraeusen is climbing out of the airlock. I often get about 5 or 6 litres of kraeusen headspace, even on 20 litre brews.
Just clean up the outside of your fermenter. If you can make sure nothing will drop into your fermenter, you could remove your airlock, clean it, replace it, and refill it with sanitised water.
Looks like you have a healthy fermentation going, and you should end up with a good drop.

I might recommend a blow off tube for the first 24-48 hours of activity. Just chuck a meter or two of sanitized tubing into the airlock hole (make sure it's snug), run the other end into a catch jar with a few centemeters of water+iodophor or water+few drops of bleach.. If you've installed it correctly (airtight) you should see bubbles in your catchjar within a few seconds.

linky

reVox

Back