Theakstone's Old Peculier

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a copy of the Brew Your Own 150 Classic Clone Recipes a while ago, and the beers that I have brewed out of it have been very comparable. There is a recipe for Old Peculier in it that goes like this;

19L Batch
OG= 1.06 FG= !.013
IBU=30 SRM=32 ABV=6.0%

4.1 kg 2 Row Pale
0.34 kg Torrified Whaeat
0.34 kg Crystal (60L)
0.11 kg Crystal (120L)
85 g Chocolate Malt
0.23 kg Cane sugar @ 15min
0.14 Invert Sugar @ 15 mins
85 g Molasses @ 15 mins

22g Northern Brewer (9% AA) @ 60 min
14 g Fuggles (5% AA) @ 15 min

7g Fuggles (5% AA) Dry hopped for 5 days before kegging/bottling.

Single Step Infusion Mash @ 67C
Ferment @ 21C with WY 1028 or WLP026

Like I said, not my recipe, but maybe worth a try. I would probably swap the Molasses for treacle, but thats just me. In my experience, the CSR stuff is fine...

Cheers... :beer:

I bought a copy of the Brew Your Own 150 Classic Clone Recipes a while ago, and the beers that I have brewed out of it have been very comparable. There is a recipe for Old Peculier in it that goes like this;

19L Batch
OG= 1.06 FG= !.013
IBU=30 SRM=32 ABV=6.0%

4.1 kg 2 Row Pale
0.34 kg Torrified Whaeat
0.34 kg Crystal (60L)
0.11 kg Crystal (120L)
85 g Chocolate Malt
0.23 kg Cane sugar @ 15min
0.14 Invert Sugar @ 15 mins
85 g Molasses @ 15 mins

22g Northern Brewer (9% AA) @ 60 min
14 g Fuggles (5% AA) @ 15 min

7g Fuggles (5% AA) Dry hopped for 5 days before kegging/bottling.

Single Step Infusion Mash @ 67C
Ferment @ 21C with WY 1028 or WLP026

Like I said, not my recipe, but maybe worth a try. I would probably swap the Molasses for treacle, but thats just me. In my experience, the CSR stuff is fine...

Cheers... :beer:
Thanks for this schooey. I see that this recipe uses choc malt, most others use a bit of black malt. Also got 3 different sorts of sugar - seems a bit of overkill!
I found some black strap molasses at Cols today, what is difference between molasses and treacle? Would the black strap molasses be better alternative to CSR treacle?
Thanks

Thanks for this schooey. I see that this recipe uses choc malt, most others use a bit of black malt. Also got 3 different sorts of sugar - seems a bit of overkill!
I found some black strap molasses at Cols today, what is difference between molasses and treacle? Would the black strap molasses be better alternative to CSR treacle?
Thanks

Treacle and molasses are pretty much the same thing, unrefined sugar - molasses being the american version, while treacle is the british.

The CSR dark treacle is roughly equivalent to black strap.

cheers

grant

Treacle and molasses are pretty much the same thing, unrefined sugar - molasses being the american version, while treacle is the british.

The CSR dark treacle is roughly equivalent to black strap.

cheers

grant

I use unsulphered molasses for making rum. Seems quite different to Treacle, but have not compared it to Blackstrap. My understanding is that blackstrap is the end product after making light, then dark molasses and that it contains bitter compounds and lery little sucrose. Have used Lyles Syrup and Treacle for making beer.

Cheers,

Screwy

I use unsulphered molasses for making rum. Seems quite different to Treacle, but have not compared it to Blackstrap. My understanding is that blackstrap is the end product after making light, then dark molasses and that it contains bitter compounds and lery little sucrose. Have used Lyles Syrup and Treacle for making beer.

Cheers,

Screwy

I have mispoke there (shouldn't post so early in the morning) - treacle and molasses are the byproducts of the sugar refining process and not unrefined sugar. You are right Screwy, in how blackstrap is made.

Lyles syrup is something else again, it apparently is a mixture of invert sugar and water -- according to Mosher. I use lyles golden syrup a lot in fruitcakes. It's delicious.

cheers

grant

I have mispoke there (shouldn't post so early in the morning) - treacle and molasses are the byproducts of the sugar refining process and not unrefined sugar. You are right Screwy, in how blackstrap is made.

Lyles syrup is something else again, it apparently is a mixture of invert sugar and water -- according to Mosher. I use lyles golden syrup a lot in fruitcakes. It's delicious.

cheers

grant
Thanks for the replies fellas. It appears that I can use either CSR treacle or the black strap molasses so that's good. One further question though:
label on treacle says that it contains sugars 74%. I assume that the other 26% is water. So if I need 250g of treacle in an old ale, should I actually add 250 divided by 0.74 = 338 grams of syrupy treacle? The molasses I got was only 65% sugar, so by same method I would need 250g divided by 0.65 = 385grams. If I just used 250g of syrup, i would get a smaller amount of actual sugar, and varying amounts depending on how much water the manaufacturer adds.

Thanks for the replies fellas. It appears that I can use either CSR treacle or the black strap molasses so that's good. One further question though:
label on treacle says that it contains sugars 74%. I assume that the other 26% is water. So if I need 250g of treacle in an old ale, should I actually add 250 divided by 0.74 = 338 grams of syrupy treacle? The molasses I got was only 65% sugar, so by same method I would need 250g divided by 0.65 = 385grams. If I just used 250g of syrup, i would get a smaller amount of actual sugar, and varying amounts depending on how much water the manaufacturer adds.

I'm not sure it really matters but only experience will tell. I'd add what the recipe calls for without adjustment first time round and see how it fairs.

cheers

grant

Finally got around to making an Old Peculier clone today. There are many different recipes around so I just sort of averaged them out to get this (for 23L)
5.2kg pale malt
320g med crystal
200g wheat malt
100g black malt
250g treacle (used the molasses that I had, and put in about 350g through clumsiness)
45g fuggles at 60 min
15g fuggles 20 min
15g fuggles 10 min
15g fuggles 0 min (should be dry hopped apparently, but couldn't be arsed)
Wyeast 1187 Ringwood

Expected FG was 1062, I got 23L at 1072 into the fermenter! This will be a strong one for sure. I've just pitched the yeast and put her in the fridge, set for 18deg. Looking forward to this one. Even if it's not exact, it should be good.

just out of interest had a look in an Aussie book from 1999 by Laurie Strachan - The Complete Guide To Home Brewing in Australia as I remembered a Old Peculiar clone recipe in it. His recipe was for extract and for a 23L batch it quotes 30 g Molasses which is a bit less mentioned here. He had 3kg LME 250 Crystal 100g Roast Barley 500g raw sugar 30g NZ Hallertauer. If you're not familiar with this book he quotes ogs in a range in this case OG 1050 to 1060.
Same with IBUs 30-40 IBU. I remember when I started brewing making it and certainly got some character even from that small amount.

Finally got around to making an Old Peculier clone today. There are many different recipes around so I just sort of averaged them out to get this (for 23L)
5.2kg pale malt
320g med crystal
200g wheat malt
100g black malt
250g treacle (used the molasses that I had, and put in about 350g through clumsiness)
45g fuggles at 60 min
15g fuggles 20 min
15g fuggles 10 min
15g fuggles 0 min (should be dry hopped apparently, but couldn't be arsed)
Wyeast 1187 Ringwood

Expected FG was 1062, I got 23L at 1072 into the fermenter! This will be a strong one for sure. I've just pitched the yeast and put her in the fridge, set for 18deg. Looking forward to this one. Even if it's not exact, it should be good.

After 2 weeks in the fermenter, this is now down to 1016, so I reckon that it should be done. At this stage, i usually cold condition for a week to clear the beer before I bottle. However I got 2 questions if anyone has experience with old ale:
1. Given fairly high OG, I am worried about viability of yeast and whether there will be enough critters to carb up in the bottle. Would I be better to just leave at ambient for another week prior to bottling rather than chilling, so as not to drop out too much yeast - beer may not be as clear, but then again it can clear in the bottle while ageing.
2. Jamil says in Classic Styles that you can age in bulk or in the bottle. Does anyone have experience on this matter? and what is a normal ageing period for a beer like this?

Ta very much.

How did you go? I've still got some in a keg! I ended up aging half of it on oak and overdid it, and tried to blend it out later to make it more subtle. It's mellowed with age, but damn, had it really been over 3.5 years since I brewed it?!

Must make another!

Must be some kind of record three and half years. Cannot say I was that keen on Old Peculiar a little bit sweet much preferred Whitbread Gold Label Barley Wine.

Latest posts

Back