The West Coast Brewers Continuing Education Series

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wcbprez

Reaction score
The West Coast Brewers Continuing Education Series starts Monday!

In Part 1 of our Ingredients Series, the eminent Mr. Roger Bussell will guide us through the key ingredient: Malt.

In his "Why Malt?" presentation, he will take us on a journey from the paddock to the pint and cover all aspects of Malt and the importance to the Homebrewer. His 30 minute powerpoint presentation will be followed by discussion.

In addition to the talk, Roger will also take 10 brewers at a time on a tour through the Joe White Malting Facility on February 17 and 24th at 10am.

Seats and tour slots are LIMITED so book NOW!

Members: $5
Non-Members: $10 (Join WCB and save!)

Talk:
When: Monday February 12th from 8:00 - 9:00 pm (WCB meeting starts at 7:30)
Where: Rivervale Community Centre, cnr Francisco and Surrey streets, Rivervale, WA

Tour:
When: Saturday Feb 17th and 24th from 10am - 12pm.
Where: 701 Abernethy Road, Forrestfield. Near Tonkin Hwy and ABB and CBH

RSVP Now!

[email protected]
or
[email protected]

Future announcements will be made about the rest of the series: Water, Yeast, Hops, and Adjuncts.

About Roger Bussell:

After completing his Bachelor Degree in Biochemistry and post graduate Diploma in Malting and Brewing in 1964, Roger went on to work in just about every aspect of the brewing field.

Not only did he manage at the Joe White Maltings facilities in Port Adelaide and Perth, he also has worked for Harp Brewery in the UK, New Zealand Breweries in Auckland, Courage/Tooth Breweries in Melbourne, the Swan Brewery in Perth, and a consultant to Wander, Chinese Maltsters, Lion Nathan, AMCOR, DME Brewing Services, Dingo Brewing, and Little Creatures (guess who Roger's Ale is named after ;) ).

Roger was also an Australian International Beer Awards Judge from 1993-2002 and is currently on the Perth Royal Beer Show committee as well as the Secretary/Executive Officer for the Institute of Brewing and Distilling in the Asia-Pacific Region.

:beer:

Sounds great - I'll definately be there for the talk by Roger. I guess I better put my hand in my pocket and become a paid up member.....

Sounds great - I'll definately be there for the talk by Roger. I guess I better put my hand in my pocket and become a paid up member.....

Excellent! See you there. Be sure to RSVP for the Tour too if you can make it.

Membership is only $50 and this year it will buy you access to:

* The CES series of talks from industry professionals (in addition to the Ingredients Series, it will also cover: Cleaning, Sanitation and use of chemicals, Beer Dispense and Systems, Advanced Education Options, Flavour Fault Analysis, Beer Formulation, and more!)
* The Freo (behind the scenes) Brewery Tour (Sail and Anchor, Little Creatures, and The Mad Monk)
* 4 club competitions
* Tours of Breweries and other facilities
* Bulk ingredients purchases
* The annual club BBQ in November
* Networking with other great WA brewers and professional brewers
* And much much more!

Cheers,

Brian

About Roger Bussell:

After completing his Bachelor Degree in Biochemistry and post graduate Diploma in Malting and Brewing in 1964, Roger went on to work in just about every aspect of the brewing field.

Not only did he manage at the Joe White Maltings facilities in Port Adelaide and Perth, he also has worked for Harp Brewery in the UK, New Zealand Breweries in Auckland, Courage/Tooth Breweries in Melbourne, the Swan Brewery in Perth, and a consultant to Wander, Chinese Maltsters, Lion Nathan, AMCOR, DME Brewing Services, Dingo Brewing, and Little Creatures (guess who Roger's Ale is named after ;) ).

Roger was also an Australian International Beer Awards Judge from 1993-2002 and is currently on the Perth Royal Beer Show committee as well as the Secretary/Executive Officer for the Institute of Brewing and Distilling in the Asia-Pacific Region.

...and this eminent brewer makes his homebrewed beer with Coopers kits!!!

(sorry couldn't resist) :ph34r:
DB

WOW that sounds like just what i need!

are the future presentations likely to be on the second monday of every month?

Rob.

WOW that sounds like just what i need!

are the future presentations likely to be on the second monday of every month?

Rob.

Hi Rob,

Please join us! The calendar of events is a work in progress. We meet every second monday at the Rivervale Community Centre, at the corners of Francisco and Surrey streets, Rivervale at 7:30.

This year we expect to have someone from the industry at every meeting including the comps. And every quarter there is a competition. So on March 12, the comp is "Anything American". Next one is June, then Sept, and Dec. Usually we have a guest judge from the industry taste along with us for a "Comercial Calibration". For the March meeting, I'm still working on a few brewers but it will probably be someone from a Freo brewery.

Cheers,

Brian

P.S. DB: Coopers kits must make some pretty good beer!

Hi Rob,

Please join us! The calendar of events is a work in progress. We meet every second monday at the Rivervale Community Centre, at the corners of Francisco and Surrey streets, Rivervale at 7:30.

This year we expect to have someone from the industry at every meeting including the comps. And every quarter there is a competition. So on March 12, the comp is "Anything American". Next one is June, then Sept, and Dec. Usually we have a guest judge from the industry taste along with us for a "Comercial Calibration". For the March meeting, I'm still working on a few brewers but it will probably be someone from a Freo brewery.

Cheers,

Brian

P.S. DB: Coopers kits must make some pretty good beer!

Heya Brian,

thanks for all the info, you wouldnt believe but i have got to go out to dinner tonight (for valentines day)
:angry: :angry: :angry: and it cant be changed, but i am interested in a few of the other speeches as well
and i'll have to turn up at a meet since it looks well woth the dosh!

Thanks Rob.

Is it worth recording these talks by Dr Bussell?

Im back in town so am wondering is there still a vacancy on the 24th for the Joe White Malting Facility tour.

Cheers
Big D

Big D, I got an email on the 14th from WCBP and there were six going, probably full by now.
Would like to go too, had my cousin's engagement party on the 17th :(

Gents, I am going to have to relinquish my spot something has come up so there should be space for one more.

The West Coast Brewers Continuing Education Series Continues!

In Part 2 of our series, the infamous Mr. Richard Moroney from the Oz Brewing/Mad Monk Brewery in Fremantle will guide us through a key process: Recipe Architecture.

In this presentation, Richard will briefly touch on the basics covering malt, hops, mashing and yeast selection/fermentation. Then he will reveal the secrets about how you can manipulate these process and raw materials to achieve desired results that relate back to the style guide lines. He will also illustrate the sensory points on the ingredients that relate directly to the final product: Your Beer!

Seats and tour slots are LIMITED so book NOW!

Members: $5
Non-Members: $10 (Join WCB and save!)

Talk:
When: Monday May 14th from 8:00 - 9:00 pm (WCB meeting starts at 7:30)
Where: Rivervale Community Centre, cnr Francisco and Surrey streets, Rivervale, WA

Tour:
A behind the scenes tour of the Mad Monk will take place this winter in conjunction with the WCB Fremantle Brewery Tour. Stay tuned for details.

RSVP Now!

[email protected] or [email protected]

Future announcements will be made about the rest of the series: Water, Yeast, Hops, and Adjuncts.

About Richard Moroney, Head Brewer of Oz Brewing:

With a 15-year career spanning management, marketing and training positions throughout the hospitality sector Mr. Moroney has spent a successful six years brewing in Australias most recognised and awarded craft brewery: the Sail and Anchor.

Creating, delivering and shaping the future direction of beer culture, Mr. Moroney has been responsible for a number of key projects in some of Western Australias icon hospitality venues including the benchmarking, introduction and management of higher than industry recognised standards across operations, development and delivery of beer centric culture where none existed and the design and production of several new beer brands.

Mr. Moroney has a proven and extensive track record to the production and development of beer and beer-centric culture.

Recent successes include a Best in Class, one gold, nine silver and a bronze at the May 2006 International Beer Awards.

Back