The Simplest And Best Cleaner

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where do you buy Iodophor? Is that the name it's sold under.

I get it from my LHBS sold as just that, iodophor. $25 for 1L, lasts over a year, could be longer if I was more careful with it.

I buy Phos. acid from an AG store,it is sold as a dairy sanitizer and pumped through the dairy milking equipment,it is also used in commercial breweries.
It is sold in 20lt drums so it pays to split it up with a few fellow brewers.
You will find a couple of litres lasts forever 10ml makes 5lt of sanitizer and that can be used several times.
I buy it by the 20lt drum so Qld. brewers can usually get a litre or so from me.

Batz

Phos. acid

DITTO

I am up for some more Batz. :) Screwtop, Tidalpete ?

Plenty here, but maybe because I've only been using 1ml/L not 2 like Batz :(

I buy Phos. acid from an AG store,it is sold as a dairy sanitizer and pumped through the dairy milking equipment,it is also used in commercial breweries.
You will find a couple of litres lasts forever 10ml makes 5lt of sanitizer and that can be used several times.
I buy it by the 20lt drum so Qld. brewers can usually get a litre or so from me.

Batz

Phos. acid

DITTO

I am up for some more Batz. Screwtop, Tidalpete ?

Plenty here, but maybe because I've only been using 1ml/L not 2 like Batz

Sorry Bindi, I've still got enough to last another 12 months.

:beer:

Batz

Phos. acid

DITTO

I am up for some more Batz. Screwtop, Tidalpete ?

Plenty here, but maybe because I've only been using 1ml/L not 2 like Batz

Sorry Bindi, I've still got enough to last another 12 months.

:beer:

I also use it at 1Ml/L and have 1 L left, but at the rate I am brewing and using the stuff [and I use it on everything] it will be gone before I know it.

Unscented white king house hold BLEACH from the supermarket

and iodophur is great to.

I use the bleach to clean up yeast caked firmenters, i just add 100mls to a firmenter and fill with water and leave to sit for a day or too.

them just rinse out well and bobs your uncle.

I use the iodophur in a clean firmenter thats been sitting for a bit unused to steralise. I chuck in all my spoons, tubes etc and it only takes 20 min.

It will turn things yellow though.

cheers

I use the bleach to clean up yeast caked firmenters, i just add 100mls to a firmenter and fill with water and leave to sit for a day or too.

them just rinse out well and bobs your uncle.

I use bleach for cleaning too,I believe it cleans better than sodium percarbonate but that's just my opinion,this I buy in 20lt drums as well,works out very cheap.

Batz

Bleach for fermenters, mash paddles etc. You can't go wrong if you rinse thoroughly. Kills everything (including stainless steel if you leave it too long!)

Hydrogen peroxide for bottles - no rinse, no hassles.

Never tried Iodophor - If I'm not mistaken you're supposed to let it dry before using, and that's a pain to me.
Sodium percarbonate too slow-acting, although won't harm your gear if you leave it too long.

I almost got to the end thinking that no-one would say UNSCENTED! good work Tony.

If I'm not mistaken you're supposed to let it dry before using, and that's a pain to me

I've used Iodophor since i began brewing last x-mas, you don't have to wait till it's bone dry, just a couple of min's upside down is fine by me :)

I have not had one *bad batch yet due to off sanitizer flavours, only bad temp flavours!@

* my bad

bayareamashers.com
Has a write up of Iodophur
They have done the tests for us....
PJ

I use homebrand nappy soaker (UNSCENTED), seems to work fine.

I have also use UNSCENTED homebrand liquid bleach, seems to be good too.

Brownie

HomeBrand Nappy Treatment Plus here too.

I clean with it (overnight soak...but works in about 10 mins if another brew coming), rinse and sanitise with it again.

Works brilliantly, not a single infection to date since I started using it over a year ago...see my sig...even Palmer agrees :D

PZ.

Grumpys one shot.

i just make it up in a spray bottle.

I give everything a quick rinse with boiling water and then spray in the dilute one-shot on most surfaces (inside fermenter etc) and close it up, never had any issues and its cheap and easy.

I use it for my bottles too, same thing, quick boiling water rinse and then a few sprays of it. rest a cap on the top and its ready to fill.

I just popped down the shop for some milk and spotted this in Coles for $4.00
Coopers Sanitiser: Sodium Percarbonate

It does not list percent of sodium percarbonate so I assume it is pure.

DIRECTIONS FOR USE (short version from the bottle)
Dissolve 40g in 1 litre of hot water, then fill to the brim with cold water, soak overnight, drain rinse i hot water.

DSC00334.jpg

Just a comment for those using iodophor. If you want to make your iodophor go even further just make up 1-2L of your sanitizer solution and stick that in your fermenter and shake. It will foam and coat everything. There is no need to fully fill your fementer with 25L of sanitising solution.

I let it sit and keep giving it a shake everytime I happen to walk past while I'm brewing to make sure everywhere gets coated well for the required 2 mins contact time.

I have done this for the last few years and never had a bad batch. That means 1-2mls of iodophor each time you brew. I then pour the 2L of sanitiser into a container to use for the remaining tasks left in the brew day (eg. sanitise the hose from kettle to fermenter, stainless spoon for whirlpooling etc).

I use it at 1ml/L, never let it dry and don't rinse at all. Best stuff in the brewery IMO.

thats what i do with it too justin

I usually put a cap full in (10 mls) and add 5 to 10 liters of water in a 60 liter firmenter and shake around a few times to wet everything.

makes the 1 liter bottle last for ages.

cheers

I do same practise as Tony & Justin but use Phos Acid (grumps one shot) not Iodophor. Iodophor apparently requires 5 times the time (?) to the knock off the nasties (according to howtobrew) so I feel more confident with Phos Acid

I use pure sodium percarbonate for cleaning & Hysan (hydrogen peroxide + colodial silver) as my 1ml/L non-rinse sanitiser. Not found anything better...

cheers Ross

Where do you get Sodium Percarbonate in Bulk from Rossco?? Anyone seen this out here in the West??

RM

Just a comment for those using iodophor. If you want to make your iodophor go even further just make up 1-2L of your sanitizer solution and stick that in your fermenter and shake. It will foam and coat everything. There is no need to fully fill your fementer with 25L of sanitising solution.

I let it sit and keep giving it a shake everytime I happen to walk past while I'm brewing to make sure everywhere gets coated well for the required 2 mins contact time.

I have done this for the last few years and never had a bad batch. That means 1-2mls of iodophor each time you brew. I then pour the 2L of sanitiser into a container to use for the remaining tasks left in the brew day (eg. sanitise the hose from kettle to fermenter, stainless spoon for whirlpooling etc).

I use it at 1ml/L, never let it dry and don't rinse at all. Best stuff in the brewery IMO.

Thanks for the hint Justin!
Always looking for ways to do things easier!

I do something similar - except I use a couple of big plastic tubs from Bunnings, each of which is big enough to take a fermenter sideways.

On brewday, EVERYTHING lives under about 10 litres of iodophor solution (1 capful) in one of the plastic tubs - thermometers, spoons, hydrometers, airlocks, o-rings, tubing, spigots etc. This means no little sticky puddles around the place, nothing gets lost (its always in the tub), and everything is clean and sanitary at all times (including my hands). The other tub just has warm water in it and is used to give sticky things a quick dunk before they go back in the iodophor.

During the boil, the fermenters go into the iodophor and get rolled around from time to time. I figure this way everything (including the tap sockets, neck threads etc) gets a good soak.

When I'm finished both tubs are emptied and dried, one tub nests inside the other one and a lot of my brewing stuff goes inside with a single lid to keep the crap out.

It sounds more complicated than it is :beer:

Latest posts

Back