'the Shire' - Where's A Decent Craft Brew Pub.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hogan

Stalag Brewery
Reaction score
Having been born and bred in The Shire and weened on Tooheys at the North Cronulla (before it was Northies) and 'Dirty Annie' at the Cecil, I now find myself getting back to the old stomping ground at least once a week to visit my dad in an aged care facility. My tastes in brew have improved significantly since those early years and as it's a two hour, 200k round trip I am looking for a pit stop that has a decent craft brew on tap.

Calling on Trev and the other Shire dwellers for their expert advice. Any thoughts on a suitable hostelry.

Cheers, Hoges.

I'm fairly sure that if they caught you drinking good beer in the shire you would be tossed back across the bridge and have your visa for entry revoked

Yeah I'd love to hear if there was any decent beer to be had in the Shire or St George generally. Preferably on the Illawarra line :)

I used to drink Tooths Kent Old (Brown) at a number of places local to me, but they changed that and have Blonde and other crap beers instead.

Going to the Local Taphouse is a bit of a drama, more so getting home.

So I'd been keen to know if there is anywhere that good beers have slipped in under the radar?

Cheerz Wabster.

Yeah I'd love to hear if there was any decent beer to be had in the Shire or St George generally. Preferably on the Illawarra line :)

I used to drink Tooths Kent Old (Brown) at a number of places local to me, but they changed that and have Blonde and other crap beers instead.

Going to the Local Taphouse is a bit of a drama, more so getting home.

So I'd been keen to know if there is anywhere that good beers have slipped in under the radar?

Cheerz Wabster.

The Outback, brewery is in Loftus

http://www.outbackbrewery.com.au/contact.aspx

I reckon best bet is trev's garage ...

And on visas, if you get suspended you only need to tell em' your moving back, from their your all sorted.

Don't like the Shire

Too many hobbits

Kabooby :)

That's not a brew pub set up though is it?

I'll look for their beers in Dan Murphys today and give the Pale Ale a try if I find it.

What I'm hoping to find is a bar or pub that has craft beers or microbrew beers on tap, preferably on the railway line as I live in lurching distance of Hurstville station :)

Cheerz Wabster

The shire is a bit of a beer desert. They have Bohemium Pils in the Opah restaurant in Cronulla. Not much around besides that - well not that I have noticed

yeah i agree, i live in Heathcote and I have yet to see any decent beers in the area. At least we have Dan Murphys reasonably close though.

My local has started selling its home brand beer which they wont tell me what it is.

I am pretty certain that its Barons Pale Ale, which is much better then then standard offerings.

I think the fanciest you will get in the Shire would be JSGA on tap at a few places. Heathcote Pub has Heathcote Hotel Ale and Engadine Pub has Engadine Tavern Lager, both of which are rumoured to be Barons.

You could try Gymea Tradies, I havent been in years but they always have a lot of taps (whether or not they are just the regular shit I dont know)

^^^ Interesting about the engadine tav and heathcote pub - I'm at woolooware and my mate lives at bangor so we frequent the bangor tav a bit and they have "The Beer" on tap, NFI what it really is. If you guys get a chance head in for a schooner and see if its the same drop as the other two.

Unfortunately the best beer in the shire is probably at one of our AHB members houses!
The mexican restaurnat near the cop shop at Cronulla is turning into a bit of a Tiki bar and has a good selection of nice rums (not that shit with the polar bear) and cigars but thats about as fancy as it gets I'm afraid.

Don't like the Shire

Too many hobbits

Kabooby :)

Can we please not make this a westies v surfy thing ! :lol:

The only good thing to come out of the Shire is the Princes Highway south !

And as I said at the ISB show last weekend, isn't it about time you Shire people formed your own brew club ? Some bloody good brewers there and no club I know of ! Apathty is not good enough !

Very disappointing response. Not the drinkers fault of course, but if you complained loud enough about the quality of what they put across the bar in your area then it may improve. Surely even JS have a delivery truck that can get across old 'Ugly Tom'. If I can't have a delicious cleansing ale before heading back to the Highlands then I may as well get shit faced on some good red and camp on the floor of my sis's place at Cronulla.

Cheers, Hoges.

JSGA is available at the tradies and gymea pub have some nicer beers in bottle form but other than that....

The Oatley Hotel has Fat Yak on at the moment and has done for some time. It used to have James Squires but they swapped it for the Yak. I realise it's nothing extraordinary but it's the best beer I've found within walking distance ...

Edited to add: It's certainly on the trainline and only stumbling distance from the station ...

Normally (not this year unfortunately) you could come to my outlaws place in Miranda and I would have a couple of kegs on over Christmas/New year. I can't drink New and VB at the RSL all the time... and Hobbit country freaks the hell out of me, so I have to keep my alcohol intake pretty high when I'm there.

for pity's sake people.. breed with an outsider every now and again :p

Anyone remember Coyotes @ Caringbah in the early '90's ? Way before the RSA laws, they has an old leather-bound barber/dentist chair in which sexy, tanned girls in short-short-denim-shorts would pour up to four shots of liqor into one's mouth while straddling your body. Ahhhhhhhhhh, the good old days. Memories also of the original 'test-tube-factory', originally in Martin place, then at the Cross (near the fountain). Sexy, Sexy, Sexy drinking times when you get a rocket fuel shot of booze administered via syringe (orally, mind) and a blowjob to boot, if you tipped enough.

Anyway, this isn't helping to answer to OP's question. Excuse my trip down memory lane.

Anyone remember Coyotes @ Caringbah in the early '90's ?

'Coyts' went all the way thru to the late 90's, but the RSA stuff did kick-in sometime. Dollar drinks on a Thursday was the fun night, nothing like ordering 18 Suburban and Cokes in one hit. We always seemed to have a new shopping trolley in the front yard the next morning.

And no, Oatley is not the Shire, its the other side of the Bridge and we dont support that football team ...

Latest posts

Back