The Nine Dollar Pint

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I paid $9 recently for a stubbie of Carona at the Subi hotel. When I asked the barman to tell the manager that it should be a criminal offence to charge that, he responded by saying that they had reduced the price from last year after numerous complaints at $9.50 per stubbie...

That's ridiculous. They charge $8 now at James Squire Brewhouse. At least you know you're getting decent beer though. Charging that for Corona is highway robbery. I reckon that stuff's probably worth about 50c per pint...

I found it tough coming back to OZ and forking out $8 for a pint after visiting Prague where I was paying about $2 for a pint of the worlds finest.

I hear ya Devo. I found P.U. in Prgue for $A0.15 - mind you plastic cup, outdoors, walk up a big hill. but nice view and great beer, what a price! :chug:

So $14 for 600ml of beer? It is still just a beer isn't it?

Gerard

You'd only buy one ! No, forget that, I wouldn't pay that much for a beer. Too stupid for words to even think it.

By the way, we talking fair dinkum 600ml "pints" which I've never seen anyway. or the old NSW schooner (375ml) called a pint in SA (or was yonks ago) ?

Just got back from getting the kids maccas. A sundae is $2.25 <_<

$9 for a pint of microbrew seems reasonable.

So $14 for 600ml of beer? It is still just a beer isn't it?

Gerard
$14 for a pint at Redoak?...must be drinking the cheap stuff! :p
They still hold the record for the most expensive beer i've ever seen (and drunk) at $15 for a 60ml measure.

I'd never pay $9 for a pint. I'd rather drink megaswill (can't believe I just said that). However, I would pay $9 for a little self indulgent Belgian!

The Wig & Pen in Canberra charges $7.00 for a pint, $5.50 for a schooner and $4 for a middy for their exceptional bevvies and I think they're expensive but worth it for the most part.......will keep an eye out for pricing in Sydney at the Pub crawl.

I remember drinking a disappointing $15 330ml Baltic Porter at one of the stops at the 06 crawl.

Try drinking RedOak's IPA at $14 a pint without going broke.

Cheap. %|

$14 for a pint at Redoak?...must be drinking the cheap stuff! :p
They still hold the record for the most expensive beer i've ever seen (and drunk) at $15 for a 60ml measure.

LOL. The RedOak Special Reserve Barley Wine? What's that, $100 per schooner? One of Australia's great micros.

LOL. The RedOak Special Reserve Barley Wine? What's that, $100 per schooner? One of Australia's great micros.
Sure was!
I recall they also had a few 'aged' beers (Wee heavy possibly?) on the menu last time I was in there, going for a very reasonable $35 a stubbie.

I made the mistake of ordering a Redoak Old Baltic Porter last week.

$10 for what I thought was going to at least be a middy.... nope. 180ml.
That would make it a $30 pint.

The beer was terriffic, but I honestly was offended at the serving size for the price.
Mental note, read the fine print on the menu. :angry:

Strange the comparisons with where you are in the country.
I can't get any micro beers on tap where I live, only Boags, Carlton Draught or Cascade but I can get King Island cryovac packed scotch fillet for $8.50/kg.
Win some loss some.
Chris

Strange the comparisons with where you are in the country.
I can't get any micro beers on tap where I live, only Boags, Carlton Draught or Cascade but I can get King Island cryovac packed scotch fillet for $8.50/kg.
Win some loss some.
Chris
Shame bartering has gone out of fashion. You could have traded that beef for some pretty good beer i reckon ;)
joe

Beer price to match their food price.

Anybody else here agree with me that a lot of pubs way overcharge for food? Most pubs around inner Melb you'll pay $25 a plate for dinner, and for that you might get steak & chips, a parma, drop another $5 they'll grill up the cheapest fish at your local fishmonger. Truck stop quality food at restaurant prices

Expensive beer, expensive food, and the clink of pokies for ambience - yep

i just picked up some chimay, after all the rave reviews i figured i better try real beer. $10 sticker shock left me standing in the isle for a few minutes...

i didn't come to until i remembered paying $8 for a VB at a night club a while back. and it's not like i'm buying a whole carton at that price.

i was surprised by the price of the urqells though. it's about on par with rubbish coronas. why are people buying megaswill when you can get much better for a $ more?

I can get King Island cryovac packed scotch fillet for $8.50/kg.

Where where where, that stuff is awesome. Local butcher must be making a killing at $23.99 a kg.

Worst i've seen was 4 schmiddys at Equilibrium (massive wank fest in the middle of sydney that has about 60,000 taps of megaswill), could've sworn the guy said 40+ dollars for it, ended up paying 30 something bucks...

Worst i've seen was 4 schmiddys at Equilibrium (massive wank fest in the middle of sydney that has about 60,000 taps of megaswill), could've sworn the guy said 40+ dollars for it, ended up paying 30 something bucks...
What did you get from there?
First time I went there they had a really decent selection of beers on tap...plenty of Aussie micros, few nice imported beers including some Belgians.
Ever since, half those beers have been removed. But either way, I do recall paying at least $7 for a 'glass' (possibly 375ml?) of whatever I chose...usually Lil Creatures or St Arnou.

When my parents were in Singapore they paid $12 for a stubbie of VB.

Kabooby :)

Latest posts

Back