The Fun Trappist Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suspect that is either a reflection on the condition the beer was in or on your palate.
In good condition anything from Westmalle has buckets of flavour that there is no chance you will get from S-04 (as much as I like S-04).
Getting a couple of Westmalle beers that have been well looked after could be, to use an old horse - doing yourself a favour.
Mark

I suspect that is either a reflection on the condition the beer was in or on your palate.
In good condition anything from Westmalle has buckets of flavour that there is no chance you will get from S-04 (as much as I like S-04).
Getting a couple of Westmalle beers that have been well looked after could be, to use an old horse - doing yourself a favour.
Mark

I quite liked the Westmalle but the main flavour I picked up was vanilla, which is what I think I get when I use S-04. What flavours do you suggest are in the Westmalle, so I can maybe see if I can pick them out if/when I try another one?

I just went and googled up "westmalle tripel tasting notes" as this is one of my favourite beers and I couldn't recall tasting or hearing mention of Vanilla (not from S-04 either), interested to see if anyone else was getting vanilla - Nada - this one was pretty typical, and for mine fairly close to what I get.
http://www.belgiansmaak.com/westmalle-tripel/
The aroma is dominated by fruity esters; mostly banana, apple and then some more banana. Accompanying this sweetness, there is a subtle hint of spicy pepper and a bready biscuit that is often associated with Belgian yeast strains of the type used by Trappist monks.

You might just be very sensitive to Vanillin, if you get the chance it might be worth exploring your detection threshold, some people are super tasters/smellers for various beer flavours.
Mind you with a bit of age on them or if mishandled some Belgians can get really weird, I have mention the International Beer Collector, both local and a mate so yes I do have a vested interest, but if you want to taste Belgian beers in pristine condition try what he has to offer.
Mark

It was the dubbel rather than the tripel that was referred to, although for my palate, westmalle dubbel is a benchmark too. Can't remember vanilla although traces would not be out of place.

I have no vested interest with IBC but second the recommendation

Latest posts

Back