The Flying Horse Brewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quick question..

Ive read a few stories lately about guys becoming brewers in these sorts of ventures without any real forms of qualifications(not that I believe that some people do), but what is the biggest advantage for someone to get a job like that without any qualifications etc.. How did you do it Gerard??

Quick question..

Ive read a few stories lately about guys becoming brewers in these sorts of ventures without any real forms of qualifications(not that I believe that some people do), but what is the biggest advantage for someone to get a job like that without any qualifications etc.. How did you do it Gerard??

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...;hl=Paddy's

Not sure if the link works & it is a bit old. I guess I have a combination of qualifications & varied brewing experiences.
Cheers
Gerard

Cheers gerard,

Good reading, just wanted a little more info, just depends I guess what you want out of things.. Its like me being a Chef, No-one wants to learn or do the hard yards anymore, they are more worried about there pay rate/salary.. No passion..

Cheers

Another 'seasonal' before you left Gerard?

From today's Sunday Mail (1/3/09):

"Last week we mentioned how Lions skipper Jonathon Brown is everywhere at the moment - star of the new AFL ad, front man for adidas footy boots and featuring on invitations to the AFL season launch. But wait, there's more.

The Flying Horse Bar and Brewery in Brownie's home town of Warrnambool in Victoria recently whipped up a batch of "Jonathon Brown Bitter". The drop proved so popular the pub has already run out of JB Bitter."

Another 'seasonal' before you left Gerard?

From today's Sunday Mail (1/3/09):

"Last week we mentioned how Lions skipper Jonathon Brown is everywhere at the moment - star of the new AFL ad, front man for adidas footy boots and featuring on invitations to the AFL season launch. But wait, there's more.

The Flying Horse Bar and Brewery in Brownie's home town of Warrnambool in Victoria recently whipped up a batch of "Jonathon Brown Bitter". The drop proved so popular the pub has already run out of JB Bitter."

They are a bit slow up there in QLD as that was last year around August. 40 litres of Whale & 10 litres of Dirty, roll the keg up to the coolroom & it is blended perfectly!
We did manage to score a Bronze medal for the Dirty at The Sydney Easter Show, not a bad effort, more to come I suspect :)
Cheers
Gerard

Geez Gerard, we must be behind up here.

Who would have thunked?

So who's brewing here now?
I hear there's a new beer out, the "Grand Annual Ale" named after said horse race. So there must be someone stirring the mash. There website still has pics of Gerard and his bio. anyone got an update?

Spent the night in Warrnambool last night and had booked two weeks ahead at the Flying Horse to make sure we could get a table. Nice looking joint, anyone who has been to the USA and a Gordon Biersch or one of those "chain" style fancy looking places can imagine what its like, tall vaulted ceilings, large beams etc.

Food was great overall. But if your gonna call a pasta "calabrese" it should have calabrese salami in it if you ask me! My wife loved her garlic prawns and the young one had the flake fingers, or two pieces of flake and chips.

My wife went straight up and had whale tale whilst I went for the shot glasses, on each of wheat, whale tale ale, mahogany porter and dirty angle.

The wheat was nice, with a noticeable up front clove taste, well balanced bitterness. Would be good on a hot day after the beach. The whale tale ale was pretty awesome, cloudy in appearance, get it to your nose and just smell lovely hop. Taste was just as good. Mahogany porter was even better, the malt flavours in that were terrific, had this burnt coffee hint the whole time, great. Unfortunately for the dirty angle, it was a bit of a let down after the porter. Should have made sure I tasted the angel before the porter, my palate was still overrun with the roast flavours, but I suspect the dirty angle has a hint of the same malt, could be wrong!!

So after the samplers, I settled down to a pint of Whale Ale and a pint of Porter after that. Would recommend you stop there for a beer at the minimum if staying in Warrnambool!

John

Latest posts

Back