The Flying Horse Brewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah mate I am heading back to Sydney. Warrnambool is a great place, & I would love to stay, but family comes first.
Great opportunity for anyone that has done a bit of commercial brewing or even a Ballarat Uni Grad to get his hands dirty!
Cheers
Gerard

Sad to hear but family does come first.Hope the moving goes well. Won't stop me coming over for lunch and a couple of beers today. Dave

Yeah mate I am heading back to Sydney. Warrnambool is a great place, & I would love to stay, but family comes first.
Great opportunity for anyone that has done a bit of commercial brewing or even a Ballarat Uni Grad to get his hands dirty!
Cheers
Gerard

when you leaving mate? ive been meaning to grab some crew and drive up for a day / lunch session and meet you, get a tour (steal your yeast ;))etc. if your still there for a couple of months i'll get off my ass and organise it.

Hi Gerard,
Sorry to hear that you are leaving your baby but I do understand. Please keep us informed of your next project and local so a few of us can have a few cold ones with you.
All the best
Dogs

when you leaving mate? ive been meaning to grab some crew and drive up for a day / lunch session and meet you, get a tour (steal your yeast ;))etc. if your still there for a couple of months i'll get off my ass and organise it.

I will be leaving at the end of Feb, which means I am available to play cricket for Epping 5th grade in the final round of the season.........if required.
There have been a few offers this week that I have knocked back as I am keeping my options open for the IPL or even ICL.
Other than that I have to wait until Dec 27th 2010 for Terry Price to turn 50 & I will be caddying on the seniors tour!
Cheers
Gerard

Today is the last brewday for me. I will leave the place well stocked up with plenty of Whale, Dirty Angel, Porter & Wheat. Should see them through the next few months while the new brewery is installed.
Cheers
Gerard

Today is the last brewday for me. I will leave the place well stocked up with plenty of Whale, Dirty Angel, Porter & Wheat. Should see them through the next few months while the new brewery is installed.
Cheers
Gerard

I can see we're going to have to change your nickname to Nomad.

Garage door is open & there's a wheat beer on tap.

Wad

I can see we're going to have to change your nickname to Nomad.

Garage door is open & there's a wheat beer on tap.

Wad

Thanks Pete, I will take you up on that. I would much prefer some of those ESB's you keep taking pics of, or what about that Choc Porter. I will have a few darker beers on tap myself so make sure you wander around for a couple. We will be living 1/2 way between Midway & 5 Ways, safe stumbling distance.
Cheers
Gerard

Hi Gerard

A quick question for you about Flying Horse, how come they are getting a new brewhouse after just six months of operation? I can't recall another case where the planning has gone that far wrong... An expensive exercise you would think.

Dean

Hi Gerard

A quick question for you about Flying Horse, how come they are getting a new brewhouse after just six months of operation? I can't recall another case where the planning has gone that far wrong... An expensive exercise you would think.

Dean

Dean

[Insert confidentiality agreement]

Cheers
Gerard

Gerard- When I moved down here from Sydney I was bouyed by the news that you had taken on the flying horse. The next brewer has boots to fill. All the best for the future back up north!

Gerard- When I moved down here from Sydney I was bouyed by the news that you had taken on the flying horse. The next brewer has boots to fill. All the best for the future back up north!

Thanks James
I will be taking my boots with me, so the new guy can fill his own boots :D
Only one day to go, then a quick drive up the Hume to civilisation!
Cheers
Gerard

When I was there last week the bar wench mentioned that they had a new head brewer already. Anyone we know ?

Would be interesting trying to cram a much bigger brewery into that little space. I was a little suprised they had such a small system for such a large looking pub. Also a bit suprising that it was a 5 vessel brewery (Ok, 6 if you count Cold Liquor). Hot liquor - Mash Tun - Lauter Tun - Kettle - Whirlpool vessel.
And unless it was hiding pretty well, I didn't notice any control panel, so presume it must be a very manual process to control.

Snipped>
I was a little suprised they had such a small system for such a large looking pub. Also a bit suprising that it was a 5 vessel brewery (Ok, 6 if you count Cold Liquor). Hot liquor - Mash Tun - Lauter Tun - Kettle - Whirlpool vessel.

I'd take a guess and say this may have been intended/designed for ease of doing several brews in one day.

Thanks Pete, I will take you up on that. I would much prefer some of those ESB's you keep taking pics of, or what about that Choc Porter. I will have a few darker beers on tap myself so make sure you wander around for a couple. We will be living 1/2 way between Midway & 5 Ways, safe stumbling distance.
Cheers
Gerard
ill put up the same offer but im in other direction just past midway.

I'd take a guess and say this may have been intended/designed for ease of doing several brews in one day.

UMMMM. Why then are there only 3 x 6hl FV's?
The new brewery will be much better suited to the needs of the establishment.
Cheers
Gerard

Hi Gerard

Dean

When Dr Simon Brooke-Taylor and i spoke to them 4 years ago when they 'had an idea' we walked away thanking the gods we did not get the job. The 'I'm a Developer and run a $120 mill business a year business a year' obviously means something ... as the exercise shows... heres to folks with to much credit (not now it would seem...)

Scotty

When Dr Simon Brooke-Taylor and i spoke to them 4 years ago when they 'had an idea' we walked away thanking the gods we did not get the job. The 'I'm a Developer and run a $120 mill business a year business a year' obviously means something ... as the exercise shows... heres to folks with to much credit (not now it would seem...)

Scotty

Sorry Scott, but money has never been an issue & never will be an issue with this project. The new plant will be operational by the end of April. I have had a great time getting the beers established in Warrnambool, & the recent success the Dirty Angel has enjoyed has been great. The guys running this show have had a great deal of success & as they have just purchased another pub, that will continue to grow. I wish I could hang around for another 2 years as that was my goal, but family comes first.
Cheers
Gerard

Latest posts

Back