The Best Head........ever?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big d

Hopaholic
Reaction score
fellow ahb,ers
ive just cracked the first two ag brews and bugger me if there not pouring the tightest thickest head since a guinness beer.
dunno what it is but im getting two inches of head and the lace work is the grouse as the beer is quickly(its the only way i know how to drink a beer) consumed.
question is for those more experienced ag brewers ..is this normal for ag brews.?

if so then im rapt.

cheers
big d

i've got only a couple more under my belt than you Big D, but all mine have been like this! BUt i think it is mostly due to good recipes rather than AG. I imagine if i did a lager this might not happen?

mmm im curious though wedge as ive done heaps of k&k partials etc then ag and never before have i come across such great tight head formation.its got me beat.
maybe the wheat malt for head retention.dunno but it looks the goods.
i used to blame the glass for not holding head(dirty ?) but ive done nothing different and the lace work holds all the way to the bottom of the glass now.

cheers
big d

your right some k&k just dont hold there head, and its much easier to control this in AG with wheat.

I know with the really heavy ales i made (like the scottish you gave me) when i pour them out of the keg i almost get that 'cascade' effect.

i have to agree with what you guys are saying. the one ag i did this year had a fantastic head on it. too bad i cant say the same about the beer though.
joe

maybe its just one of lifes mysteries....

250g wheat malt in the grist will do this

also, all malt no sugar, more protein

for kit brewers, just include 150g wheat extract with the other extract, in fact try this (our most popular simple pack):

600g light dry malt extract
250g wheat malt extract
150g dextrose

dissolve, bring to a simmer, skim the scum that forms, simmer 5 mins, put lid on, turn heat off, take to where fermenter is and add the boiled mixture and can kit. You will make as good a kit beer as is possible without adding steeped specialty grains and hops, and will also have a nice thick head that stays.

What keeps a head on a beer is protein. Barley malt has around 10-12% protein (IIRC) and wheat even more.

Jovial Monk

More importantly, Big D - How do they taste? Is it the nectar you were hop(p)ing for?
:chug: :D

I always get a good nice tight head on my AG beers too.
Never really gave it much thought until now.

Beers,
Doc

gday stevesa
both beers are reasonably good.not brilliant but ive factored this into my first 5-6 ag brews as i come to grips with my system and remembering the correct sequence of things.
like ive mixed up the hop schedule on one brew and another didnt do the first runnings to clear the wort after mashing.
just small things that will become good brewing habit with time and practice.

the first brew was the one malt one hop using only chinook.very bitter but after a few it becomes rather nice.shouldve listened to batz.my neighbour tried it and reckons its good so thats something i quess.
the second one im drinking is an american clone of rogues brutal bitter.thanks goat for the crystal hops.the neighbour likes this one as well.
not a bad drop at all.this is the brew i stuffed up the hop schedule on.
if anything its not exactly bitter brutal and i would dry hop if i did this one again.

cheers
big d

I just do partials. Before that I brewed extract + grains. Haven't had anything BUT nice thick head on beer with the exception of an underprimed k+k and one doppelbock (was 7.5% alc and deliberately low carbonation). I don't think you can thank AG alone for head.

It's the wheat malt

I did a couple of partials before my AG and could'nt believe the difference with wheat malt added

Went out and got 25Kg of the stuff , went 50-50 with another brewer , I include it with most brews

I just about always have a can of liquid wheat extract on hand and add about 250g to each brew - unless it's a wiezen :D

I find that it really helps with head formation, particularly on some of the K&K brews.

But like you guys I've found that the AG brews I've now started doing seem to have a better head, at least it is held longer, and from my reading it seems that just as Tom mentions, it's about the extra protein that results.

Trev

Well I'm drinking the first glass of a K&K lager I kegged yesterday, and Its got a nice tight head which has now lasted over 15 minutes, and theres perfect lacing all down the glass.

Infact most my kegged beers have been the same when I think about it. I keep my glasses sparkling clean though (scrub with hot water + detergent, then rinse twice with very hot water).

This was just a Muntons Continental Lager with 1kg of Muntons dried light spraymalt. Simple K&K dry hopped with some NZ hallertau.

Hows this for a good head on your beer ?

Beers,
Doc

Found here.

BeerHead.jpg

I get good head even on lagers. As JM extra protein and tha additions of wheat. They aint all watery like mega swill so they hold together mmmm In fact i might have a lager now! (worried this keg will run dry way to quick!)

I've had head even larger than that with some dodgy rediculously overcarbonated old kit beers I've cracked open.

This weekend I think I might go through the bottles and start drain pouring. A lot of them are 18+ months old and still taste terrible.

my partial alos have good head and i use wheat malt in the grist but i love this mashing stuf

Back