The 12 VB's of Christmas.

• Thread starter unclebarrel
  • Start date
Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing wrong with 4.1% mate. Can you notice the honey taste at all?

I keep reading that honey ferments out and the only way to get a honey taste is to use honey malt, which we can't get here, so I'm always interested in how people go about it.

Yeah I get a nice honey flavour, not too much.
I took a punt with the 100ml late addition, second brew with that process, had no bottle bombs as the extra honey was in the fermenter for a week, so should have fermented a little but left some flavour….I guess !
As I said though, the subtle honey taste an the passionfruit from the galaxy work nicely !
Will be going BIAB soon as I get some spare cash for the gear, looking forward to trying one then !

Also, sorry about the formatting in the recipe post, did that on the mobile.

Honey malt sounds interesting.

I used to drink MB in my younger,bogan pleb days. Funnily enough when I used to go to parties I would take a case of MB and put it in the ice bath with the VB's. For some reason no one would steal them, even when the VB was gone. At the time you had to order MB in. Thise where the days when the onlt beers on tap were Carlton Draught and Reschs Pilsner and VB was basically the only take-away beer available. You should have seen the day I dropped a carton of Pale Ale in the ice tub. It was like I was a heretic. The god awfull looks and comments I got where rather funny.

As for Tooheys Old. Its actually a nice beer. Its my alternative when Coopers is not available.

Throw them all in a fermenter with some crystal, honey, yeast and a generous scoop of hops.
Can't get any worse, might as well experiment.

i've got some VB in the cupboard someone gave me, they've been there a while, has boony and botham on the sides, boonanaza 2 i think. awful stuff

toncils said:
Throw them all in a fermenter with some crystal, honey, yeast and a generous scoop of hops.
Can't get any worse, might as well experiment.
sounds like a good idea, or use them to make beer bread. how anyone can drink that awful stuff is beyond me its a shame the beer is so shit otherwise id of liked to try to win one of those score boards they got for the cricket.

Father in law drinks VB by the slab. It's no craft beer but it's still definitely drinkable if it's proper cold.

In terms of the best mainstream beer though, I'm going to have to agree with the Melbourne Bitter call earlier.

I don't mind a VB served freezing cold from an esky with ice.

When they re-introduced the old 4.9% VB I was actually suprised by how much better it was. Drinkable, but only from an ice bath.

True, after a long hard days work, any freezing cold beer goes down well….and fast !!!

Truman said:
It could of been worse. You could of gone out to someone's house for lunch and that is all they offered. I've been there before and had to become the designated driver. My father in law drinks Storm from aldi so I always bring my own.
As in the Bali "Storm" beer?

IMHO - keep em... perfect for when you've got a party-load of people, and the good beer is going/gone, everyone's smashed - and doesn't really care what they're drinking (as they're in no condition to judge).

unclebarrel said:
Wow, family arrive for lunch.
One of them with a dozen vics….they go on ice….

….dey still on ice.

My hefes and honey wheats went down a treat, no one touched a vic.
Now I am faced with the dilemma, do I chuck them or keep them for a day a non craft beer drinker comes over…..which is never.

I suppose they were donated kindly.
Maybe I will see how well they age :lol:

Barbecue cleaner for the next 12 barbecues

Latest posts

Back