The 12 VB's of Christmas.

• Thread starter unclebarrel
  • Start date
Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
U

unclebarrel

Wow, family arrive for lunch.
One of them with a dozen vics….they go on ice….

….dey still on ice.

My hefes and honey wheats went down a treat, no one touched a vic.
Now I am faced with the dilemma, do I chuck them or keep them for a day a non craft beer drinker comes over…..which is never.

I suppose they were donated kindly.
Maybe I will see how well they age :lol:

It could of been worse. You could of gone out to someone's house for lunch and that is all they offered. I've been there before and had to become the designated driver. My father in law drinks Storm from aldi so I always bring my own.

Ah, not a bad drop. Used to be my regular when I got into the beer thing as a callow young lad. Use them for cooking if not drinking :)

There is a time and a place for almost any beer.
Trouble is, when you have GOOD beer avail, it gets harder and harder to justify a VB. Still preferable to a corona...

Personally, I would hang onto them. There is always someone who will appreciate it.

Be old fashioned and leave them on top of the wheelie bin for the garbos.
However being the 21st century don't put them there until you actually hear the truck in the street.

Of course the garbo could be a craft brewer and not bother to get out of the truck. :p

Shake, pierce a hole with a key, pull the ring. See how fast you can skull a VB. For pure scientific research of course...

So what's the best of the mass market brews, do you reckon? For me probably Carlton Draught. Oh, and when I was a uni student in Sydney I would buy, when I could, Toohey's Old - seems to be very hard to find in Victoria - which I still recall with fondness.

The worst mass-market beers - probably a toss up between Toohey's New and Fosters. VB, I don't mind at all.

I like tooheys old.
For mine I think the beer I dislike most is Carlton draught.

I hope I didn't come across badly in my first post. I did appreciate the gesture, just not the beer.
I won't tip them, I'm sure I'll have a chance to pass them on someday.

A hidden gem is Melbourne Bitter, some fragrant malt and hop character, none of the cat piss eau de wheelie bin twang of VB.

A member who worked at CUB but no longer posts once said that MB and VB come out of the same pipe in the wall, it's all in the hopping and "dressing" of the beer on the way to the packing line apparently. Might get a six this afternoon, actually.

MB involves less animal cruelty than VB as they don't need to catheterise any cats.

vb twins.jpg

Really G?

You'd actually fork over legal tender for MB?

I lift my hat sir, I would drink it if free at a work gig or some such, hand over coin? Never ;)

put them on the curb . some bum will grab em

Had some trees lopped this week, gave the guy a stray Crown Lager that was in the fridge for the drive home.

Got the look as if to say 'wow, you give away Crown Lager around here' as though I was some sort of rich ******* :D

DU99 said:
:icon_offtopic: our work function this year had boags draught
When I lived on Bribie Island, shortly after Lion bought Boags from San Miguel, longnecks of Boags Draught appeared in all the local bottlos. Personally I can't tell the difference between BD and VB except that BD is a bit more metallic. A slight cut above Tasman Bitter, however. (do they still make that stuff?)

Wow, family arrive for lunch.
One of them with a dozen vics….they go on ice….

….dey still on ice.

My hefes and honey wheats went down a treat, no one touched a vic.
Now I am faced with the dilemma, do I chuck them or keep them for a day a non craft beer drinker comes over…..which is never.

I suppose they were donated kindly.
Maybe I will see how well they age :lol:

Mind sharing the recipe for your honey wheat?

Hey pedleyr,

Here's the recipe.

Briess Bavarian wheat LME - 1.5kg
LDME - 500g
Crystal 120 - 250g
Organic honey from tassie ( bought at Vic market) 500ml

Simcoe. 35g @ 40
Centennial 15g @ 5
Galaxy 15g @ 0

US05.

Diluted another 100ml of the honey into 200ml boiled water at day 7 and added it.

2 weeks in the bottle now, still a tad sweet from the crystal, I'm sure that will settle down.
The galaxy and the honey are nice together.

I used the kits and extract spreadsheet. Makes life easy and brewing predictable.

Good luck if you try it !

UB

Edit: forgot to mention it came out at around 4.1%. I meant that, but you could always add more DME or even go with base malts in a partial to get a higher ABV.

Latest posts

Back