That Guinness Twang

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a lot of Flaked Barley hazard but 10% rice gulls will do the trick.
FWIW I'm a huge fan of Young's Double Chocolate Stout.

TP
Standard recipe for guinness is 70% ale malt, 20% flaked barley, 10% roast barley, so that's what I've gone with. If using rice hulls do i need to increase volume of mash water accordingly?

I've tried Young's chocolate stout recently (its one of the few British beers left at Dan's since the takeover by Woolies), and I love chocolate and really wanted to like this, but just can't get into into it. Sort of like green curry and ice cream - I will eat huge quantitie of both individually, but would never mix them.

Hazard

Ive had Guinness on tap in 20 Pubs. 17 of which where horrible but the other 3 were the best beer i have drank.

I actually think the nitro cans are as close to a Dublin pint as you will get in Aus.

I agree Andrei. I would suggest this is almost the same brew as on tap in Ireland & UK, perhaps altered slightly to counter the vessel it's stored in, international travel and the unique dispensing mechanism. For flavour, it's about as close as it gets to the Dublin stuff I reckon.

Im not sure about the twang either. But it wouldn't be a waste of grain to brew one with and one without a souring additive. The water profile would be far more important.

The key to Guinness, as posted here already, is freshness. It's not some magic recipe only brewed in Dublin. The best Guinness in the world is in Ireland (Dublin really) because it is the nations #1 drink. Guinness could shut down all marketing in Ireland permanently and never lose that spot. The black stuff is akin to religion and pouring or storing a bad pint is grossly sacrilegious. Further, it will leave you financially ruined. With so many many other pubs to go to, very few are willing to tolerate a bad pint. As such, the competition to pour the best pint is constant. eg: You'll never get the first pint of the day in good Irish pub. That one goes straight down the drain to ensure you get a nice fresh one from the keg.

Elsewhere in the world however...you get what you're given. It could be the first pint through the taps all day, or in days, or worse! There are good pints here. They are just harder to find.

Cheers
PB

Thanks for posting your recipe. I might give this one a try myself next time I want to make a dry stout.
But first a couple of questions:
1. I like Guinness, but detest Murphy's stout. How do the rest of you feel about this?

I have not had murphys so i cannot comment, sorry! :ph34r:

2. Is your recipe (Dry Stout II) more like Guinness or more like Murphy's stout?

I'd say more like guinness (even though i havn't had murphys). Its a dry stout so its got a creamy/full mouthfeel. Not a lick of an astringent roast barley character which is good. Its nice and smooth on the palate, almost chocolatey with a lingering grain bitterness. Its got a pillowy head from the decent use of flaked barley and a clean smooth hop bitterness. Honestly, it keeps you coming back for more. I'd call it a 'gateway stout for' anyone interested in trying a stout for the 1st time.

If you have ever had "the craic" thats brewed @ James Squire brewpubs, its chanelling that and guinness draught. More-so towards 'the craic'. Guinness draught is quite thin on the palate where as mine has a full body and think dense foam without the use of nitro.

Follow the recipe to the T and you will suceed. I was told the 1968 yeast wouldnt go so well, I can say it turned out delish!

I usually dont advocate adding stuff to your water if you dont know what it starts out at but this needs a really high carbonate content to buffer the dark malts. I doubt any of you will have water with a content of more than 80ppm+ of HCO3 so i will tell you to use some kind of water modification as this recipe really needs around the 300ppm mark. It will make the difference in turning the stout from being 1 dimensional to something special.

If you dont do water modifications usually, just add 2 rounded (flat) teaspoons of baking soda to your mash to up your HCO3 content to buffer the dark malts.

If you do, I'd shoot for what i recommended the next time i plan to do it:
50Ca, Cl 150, SO4 50, HCO3 250

Cheers and beers! :beerbang:

Standard recipe for guinness is 70% ale malt, 20% flaked barley, 10% roast barley, so that's what I've gone with. If using rice hulls do i need to increase volume of mash water accordingly?

No.
You won't have to as rice gulls absorb a minium amount of mash liquor.

TP

Fourstar,

How would Wyeast 1084 Irish ale go with this?

Cheers,

Paul

Ask and Thou shall recieve :)

Dry Stout II
Dry Stout

Type: All Grain
Date: 25/04/2009
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Brewer: Braden
Boil Size: 30.90 L
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.0
Taste Notes:

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.00 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (3.0 SRM) Grain 75.5 %
0.80 kg Barley, Flaked (Thomas Fawcett) (2.0 SRM) Grain 15.1 %
0.50 kg Roasted Barley (Joe White) (412.9 SRM) Grain 9.4 %
70.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.80%] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 41.8 IBU
0.50 gm Baking Soda (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
2.50 tsp Chalk (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs London ESB Ale (Wyeast Labs #1968) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.049 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.052 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.4 %
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.0 %
Bitterness: 41.8 IBU
Est Color: 30.1 SRM

Mash Profile
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Protein Rest Add 9.54 L of water at 55.9 C 50.0 C 15 min
Saccharification Add 5.72 L of water at 92.3 C 64.0 C 60 min
Mash Out Add 9.55 L of water at 94.9 C 75.0 C 10 min

Water profile
Ca 117ppm
Mg 13ppm
Na 5.4ppm
SO4 130ppm
Cl 7ppm
HCO3 130ppm

Fourstar,
How would Wyeast 1084 Irish ale go with this?
Cheers,
Paul

I cannot forsee big issues, go for it. the biggest issue is diacetyl with that yeast, just another character i suppose :p

Oh, maybe knock back a little on the roast with that recipe, maybe by 2% and sub it with base, it may be a little roasty for some. for me it was decent.

Cheers! :beerbang:

Hey Fourstar what was your actual finishing gravity with the 1968 yeast? I can see the estimated FG, but I can imagine its lower when u mash at 64.

Cheers, Jim

Hey Fourstar what was your actual finishing gravity with the 1968 yeast? I can see the estimated FG, but I can imagine its lower when u mash at 64.
Cheers, Jim

Actual Vs. estimate below:

Est Original Gravity: 1.049 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.052 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.4 %
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.0 %
Bitterness: 41.8 IBU
Est Color: 30.1 SRM

Latest posts

Back