Tester Cider

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timryan

Reaction score
Gday Guys Just bought a 2L Apple Juice for Aldi and am wanting to test a cider.. Ive keep a 2L Coke bottle as recommend on here to ferment in. I have some coopers yeast on hand that i thought might be worth the test.. Just a few questions.. How with such a small quanity of juice what is the best way to test SG and FG? Also how much yeast should i add? Half a packet? And finally with priming a 2L Bottle what is the best way to do so? Carb Drops?

Cheers Tim

I would add 12-15g to a batch around 20-25 litres. Therefore I'd equate that to 1-2 g for 2 L (seeing as it's a rough and ready experiment).

As for testing OG, I probably would just guess that it will be between 1050 and 1060. If you can keep the temp constant and see some sign of fermentation, just leave for a good wack of time before testing a sample. Alternatively sanitise the hydrometer and drop it in.

I'd never recommend that for a full batch in a fermenter.

Prime using a bulk priming calculator.

Could you just pour some of the juice into your hydrometer tube? It doesn't require much to fill the tube and you can simply drink it after you take the reading.

Cheers Andrew so that is 1-2grams of yeast? Would Coopers yeast suffice for a tester? Also if i was to clip lock onto the rest of the yeast would it stay useable?

Between 1 and 2 grams. 1.5 if you have decent scales.

Keep oxygen, light and heat away from the rest of your yeast and it should be fine.

You mean the kit yeast? Not my first choice for a cider but should be fine just to see what's what with your 2L batch.

By the way - no need to transfer to the coke bottle. Just ferment in the juice bottle, lid backed off a few notches.

I dont really want to go out and buy a yeast when im just testing.. would it be drinkable?

Mate, go for it.

Coopers kit yeast isn't my first, second or even third choice for anything so forget that, use what you have and ferment it on the cooller side of things. It will probably be very dry.

I would say yes to drinkable and better than a brigalow cider tin.

Latest posts

Back