Terminal Ph In Fruit Beers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozpowell

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Put a Sour Cherry Ale down on Friday (fermented with Wy 1388 Belgian Strong Ale). The pH into the fermenter was 5.2 (5kg of frozen sour cherries into primary along with the 26L wort - OG 1057) - I like to put my fruit into the primary :) . Checked gravity and pH yesterday. Gravity reading of 1022 after 2.5 days - great! However, pH was 3.6 - normally my ales are at around 4.0 to 4.2 at this stage. I'm putting it down to the acid in the fruit.

Anyone care to comment on what effects such a low pH may have on the final product?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Guys,

Put a Sour Cherry Ale down on Friday (fermented with Wy 1388 Belgian Strong Ale). The pH into the fermenter was 5.2 (5kg of frozen sour cherries into primary along with the 26L wort - OG 1057) - I like to put my fruit into the primary :) . Checked gravity and pH yesterday. Gravity reading of 1022 after 2.5 days - great! However, pH was 3.6 - normally my ales are at around 4.0 to 4.2 at this stage. I'm putting it down to the acid in the fruit.

Anyone care to comment on what effects such a low pH may have on the final product?

Thanks in advance.

Sampled my first one last night - it tastes great! Very similar to Bellvue Kriek - and I didn't use any Lambic bugs, just 1388. Low pH must just be one of the attributes of this type of beer, I guess. Terminal gravity was 1014, pH 3.5. I've noticed the terminal pH of red wine is in the mid-3's, so I guess it kinda stands to reason... :huh:

I have never checked the pH on any of my beers (other than in the mash) but what you've noted about your fruit beers seems intuitively reasonable. There's certainly some tartness that you can taste from raspberries when I've used them. I guess sour cherries are called that for a reason as well. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back