Ten Great Microbreweries

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tangles

Reaction score
Today at msn they have listed 10 great microbreweries. They are:
Wig & Pen Brewery
Bluetongue Brewery
Five Islands Brewing Co.
Malt Shovel Brewery
The Sunshine Coast Brewery
Lawrence Victor Estate Brewery
Wineglass Bay Brewery
Mountain Goat
The 3 Ravens Brewing Co
Little Creatures

While I can't comment on any of these I can say that the Bintara Brewery in Rutherglen is Fantastic. Anyone else got a favourite?

Lawrence Victor Estate Brewery
Today? The Lawrence Victor brewery hasn't been around for a couple of years I think.

As for the rest of the list... well... lets just say there are a few excellent selections and a few that wouldn't make my list.

And I get the feeling the author might live somewhere on the east coast. :)

I must say that I am gobsmacked that Bluetongue made it on there ahead of both Murrays, and Potters. Murrays is probably one of the most innovative or daring micro's in the country with Australia's only (to my knowledge) commercially available Double IPA, Tripel, Barleywine and Belgian Pale. All are of similar quality to those found in the American micro market. Potters makes some excellent beer like their kolsch and Oktoberfest, while their pale is nothing to be sneezed at either, and definitely a fave of mine. I can also say for sure that their anniversary ale will be excellent when it is released (aged for a while in Shiraz barrels). While I think that Bluetongue is a step in the right direction for getting consumers away from the megaswill, and I mean no disrespect to them, all I can taste when I have had their lager is acetaldehyde (green apple), and there are many micro's out there that should be considered "great" above them, IN MY OPINION. Capitals for emphasis.
I notice that Grand Ridge isnt on there either, despite being (IIRC) the most awarded brewery in the world, and definitely australia.
Makes ya wonder who comes up with these lists, I suppose, though they are always going to leave off someone's fave's!
All the best
Trent

the authors obviously not been to Colonial Brewing (WA) either

I think "Pumpy's Brewery" in Camden should have got a mention. :D

Kabooby :)

I see Red Oak as a notable omission. And how the hell is Malt Shovel a micro?

A micro is anything producing under 15000 barrels a year (their definition not mine).

My vote would be for Grand Ridge. Love their stuff especially the Black & Tan and Blonde.

While the Bintara Brewery in Rutherglen is good too, its too bloody far. & at least I can get Grand Ridge easily now....

For anyone else who likes Grand Ridge. GO to the Food & Wine Festival (Melb its here at the beginning of June). Cause there's a Grand Ridge stall and for $2 you get to taste all of their products. And its a good half of a plastic beer cup worth of each. if your lucky and their not busy, you get to go again for $1. Cant beat that!

Lots of east coast breweries in that mix; perhaps the writer should get out and see a little more of the country.

Bootleg, Moo Brew and Feral would feature in my top 10.

That list is many years old. It has been floating around various tourism sites for some time now. Obviously many fantastic new brewerys have come about since then.
An updated version would be most likely VERY different.

........ but still, they mention my brewery :) although the beers I am produing now are very different to what they would have been when that list was compiled.

Don't understand why
1) Murrays Brewery
2) Potters Brewery
3) Mountain Goat
didn't make the list.
I would of thought that James Squires would be pushing the limits of "micro".

Anyway aussie micros have come a long way in recent years.
yay lets hope the trend continues especially if they get tax cuts similar to those small winerys enjoy.

A micro is anything producing under 15000 barrels a year (their definition not mine).

They still have some arithmetic issues Rough as Guts.

Blue Tongue are aiming for about 6,000,000 litres per annum with their upgrades last October.

It's awfully hard to think of Malt Shovel as a microbrewery.

But, anyway, I guess any sort of publicity is good for the industry.

Thanks for pointing out the article.

Keith

Hi Malnourished, you are correct. The Lawrence Victor Brewery (equipment) is now at Bridge Road Brewers, Beechworth, where Ben Kraus is putting it to very good use.
The LV Brewer (Simon Fennell) is Head brewer at the Steam Exchange.
Cheers!

Nice to see the Sunshine Coast brewery there...cheers Ian!

Now,so close but no Batz Brewery WTF :angry:

Batz :ph34r:

"Ten Great Microbreweries" is just not enough. Somebody should compile a list of
"Thousand Great Microbreweries" (preferably in alphabetical order)
and then most of our favorites will be there.

There's a thousand micros in Oz? :eek:
Hopefully in the next few years...
All the best
Trent

Agree with Grand Ridge being a very obvious gap

Really surprised not to see the Lord Nelson on there -- east coast, a long-established institution, and I've always enjoyed my pints there. Suppose it is 'only' a brew pub and not a micro as they don't sell off premises?

A geographically based Wiki guide to pubs & breweries might be a good undertaking... We could collaborate on a book -- the Lonely Drinkers guide?

outside of obvious omissions colonial & bootleg from the south west, i would have to stick mash (swan valley) in there for their pale ale...

Latest posts

Back