Temps For Kit Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the first things I learned was to never use the yeast that came from under the lid from the can.
How long had it been there, and at what temperatures. :blink:
If the label says it's a lager or pils, is the yeast a lager one ?. :huh:
Never buy aftermarket yeasts from a home brew shop that doesn't keep them in a fridge. :angry:
I've always trusted the Fermentis site for information.
http://www.fermentis.com/FO/EN/06-Ales/20-10_why-use_hb.asp
Why, because they only sell yeast for a living. Most labels on the cans call for a kilo of sugar, and brew at 28*C 'cause it's easier for the novice brewer.
An ex fellow worker has done over 1500 brews this way, and likes his beer, but his beer to my taste buds, are like what homebrew used to taste like, crap.
Normell

I am bowing out of this discussion before I get into yet another shit fight.

Its a bit like de ja vu! - everone should've just cut n pasted the entire previous thread! :p
Cheers
Steve

Its a bit like de ja vu! - everone should've just cut n pasted the entire previous thread! :p
Cheers
Steve

If this has been discussed before than why did DC awnser the question with such bad advice, if you are going to post bad advice and you know others are going to jump down your throat about it then why post.

The other thing is this site is set up to help brewers brew better and better beer. It seems that if you are happy to ferment your beer at 26 + deg and arnt willing to listen to sound advice that is being given, then you should probably move on to another forum that is less educated and agrees with your advice.

And because my oppinion is different to your I should just piss off?

Boy arent you a wanker.

Why dont you read my below you'll see that I've got a partial in primary or go into my profile and read some of my recent posts via the tracking detail and you'll see I've been learning quite a few tricks and am always open to advice.

However as I've said I've brewed 26-28 and havent noticed any ill effects, nor has any other people whom have drunk it - couple actual brewers themselves.

I dont appreciate being reffered to as an idiot or a liar.

Boy arent you a wanker.

Why dont you read my below you'll see that I've got a partial in primary or go into my profile and read some of my recent posts via the tracking detail and you'll see I've been learning quite a few tricks and am always open to advice.

However as I've said I've brewed 26-28 and havent noticed any ill effects, nor has any other people whom have drunk it - couple actual brewers themselves.

1.Our difference of opinion has nothing to do with it, the general concenses is that ales are to be fermented around 18-20 deg

2. I dont think me being a wanker has anything to do with it

3. Thats great you have done your first partial

4. Its not about the fact that your taste buds or the beers you have made had no difference in taste - its BAD ADVICE im concerned about

5. I wasnt calling you a liar i was mearly asking why you would post bad advice, especially since this has created arguments in the past

Edit : spelling

Boy arent you a wanker.

1.Our difference of opinion has nothing to do with it, the general concenses is that ales are to be fermented around 18-20 deg

2. I dont think me being a wanker has anything to do with it

3. Thats great you have done your first partial

4. Its not about the fact that your taste buds or the beers you have made had no difference in taste - its BAD ADVICE im concerned about

5. I wasnt calling you a liar i was mearly asking why you would post bad advice, especially since this has created arguments in the past

Edit : spelling

I apologise for calling you a wanker but I found your post prior to it rather annoying.

General consensus means nothing to me when I am offering advise on what I and others have found its pretty simple.

I always ferment to what temp the yeast is best suited to, and yeah it does make a nicer beer if it can be done to 18-20 totally agree with you.

My point is that 1 time I had a brew in summer that I just didnt control the temp properly and it brewed at 28 degrees yet was still quite an enjoyable beer, and 1 other I did was done at 24-26 degrees and came out fine as well.

I was informing him of my personal findings and my views/others views who had sampled.

You've a few times said that I enjoy brewing at 28 degrees+ which quite simply isnt true.

im setting up a temp controller that ive ordered from mashmater and gunna have it connected to a low wattage heat lamp to maintain my temps in winter.

looks like ive opened a can of worms on this one, ill keep temps just under 20c.

Another question also, how does a fridge go about being turned on and off by the temp controller, im just worried about it keelin over then i wont have a homebrew fridge.

I have to say ales come out tasting clean at 18 to 20*C, A bit fruity around 20 to 22*C (maybe suitable for an IPA) but anything above that will result in headaches and dominating, unpleasant fruity flavours.

Glad your looking into temp controllers, they are worth the time and money. I put my fermenters in the laundry sink filled with water. From there I use a fish tank heater in the sinks water to maintain a constant ale temperature in winter. Works perfectly.

I also have a fermentation fridge with a temperature controller.

If you look in your fridge, you will see a temperature dial/thermostat. Basically there are two wires coming out of it. When the two wires are connected together, the fridge will turn on and will start to cool. When the two wires are seperated the fridge won't run.

When you get your temperature controller, it will have terminals to plug the mentioned two wires into. So it will turn the fridge on and off for you by connecting the cables together via an internal switch.

I also suggest you move away from the yeast found in kits lids. Now that you have temperature control, reward yourself with better quality yeast. I like the white labs liquid yeasts, but the safale and saflager dried yeasts are quite good too. Keep in mind it is the yeast that makes your beer... the better the yeast, the better your beer.

I also suggest you move away from the yeast found in kits lids. Now that you have temperature control, reward yourself with better quality yeast. I like the white labs liquid yeasts, but the safale and saflager dried yeasts are quite good too. Keep in mind it is the yeast that makes your beer... the better the yeast, the better your beer.
[/quote]

I'd agree, Jazzafish, in regard to the lower priced kits, but we should also be aware that some producers are now supplying Saf yeasts under the lid (in my experience: some MSB (the lager & wheat, not sure about the ales), some TC Premium, some Brewcraft). Provided the tin is fresh there should be no problem with yeast viability, so it would be a waste and an extra cost to discard the kit yeast in these cases. As I suggested on another thread: research, ask the suppliers, and share the information with others on lists such as this, and of course, always have a back-up yeast in case things go pear-shaped. :)

Forgot to say: I've always had good results from the Munton's supplied yeasts as well, although I'm not sure what strains they are. The Munton's P Gold is great!

While we are on the topic of temps.

What sort of temps are good for wheat beers, I want to put down a Hoegaarden type beer, not sure what temp to run at. Any suggestions would be great.

im setting up a temp controller that ive ordered from mashmater and gunna have it connected to a low wattage heat lamp to maintain my temps in winter.

looks like ive opened a can of worms on this one, ill keep temps just under 20c.

Another question also, how does a fridge go about being turned on and off by the temp controller, im just worried about it keelin over then i wont have a homebrew fridge.

I have to say ales come out tasting clean at 18 to 20*C, A bit fruity around 20 to 22*C (maybe suitable for an IPA) but anything above that will result in headaches and dominating, unpleasant fruity flavours.

Glad your looking into temp controllers, they are worth the time and money. I put my fermenters in the laundry sink filled with water. From there I use a fish tank heater in the sinks water to maintain a constant ale temperature in winter. Works perfectly.

I also have a fermentation fridge with a temperature controller.

If you look in your fridge, you will see a temperature dial/thermostat. Basically there are two wires coming out of it. When the two wires are connected together, the fridge will turn on and will start to cool. When the two wires are seperated the fridge won't run.

When you get your temperature controller, it will have terminals to plug the mentioned two wires into. So it will turn the fridge on and off for you by connecting the cables together via an internal switch.

Jazza thanks for the info regarding the fridge, so im assuming its bad for the fridge to be plugged in to the temp controller via 3 pin plug? hence disabling the frige thermostat and replacing it with the digital temp controller?

Thx

What sort of temps are good for wheat beers, I want to put down a Hoegaarden type beer, not sure what temp to run at. Any suggestions would be great.

Hey Herbs,

Wheat beers are fermented on the same rules as ales 18-22. If you ferment at the higher end (22C) you will get more of the banana and clove flavours in your brew. If you ferment at the lower end (18-20C) the banana and clove flavours won't be as noticable.

What yeast are you using?

Thinking of US56, seems to be afavourite around the forum for not messing with the flavour of the brew too much?

I like the way the US-56 drops soo much out of the beer (good floculation?).
Also seem to be a fairly neutral yeast regards taste.

Cheers,
Mika

G'day Herbs,
For a Hoegaarden, the Wyeast 3944 Belgian Witbier yeast strain is a good place to start!
3944 Belgian Witbier Yeast.
Probable origin: Hoegaarden, Belgium
Beer Styles: White Beer, Grand Cru, Doubles, Spiced beers
Commercial examples may include: Celis Wit, Hoegaarden, Blanc de Brugge
Unique properties: A yeast with complex flavor profile which produces a spicey phenolic character with low ester production. Phenols tend to dominate most flavors and dissipates with age. Ferments fairly dry with a finish which compliments malted and unmalted wheat and oats. Sometimes used in conjunction with lactic acid bacteria to produces a sharper finish. This strain may be a slow starting yeast with true top cropping characteristics. Flocculation is low, with yeast staying suspended with proteins in a well designed beer. Alcohol tolerance approximately 10-11% ABV. Flocculation - medium; apparent attenuation 72-76%. (62-75 F, 16-24 C)

Jazza thanks for the info regarding the fridge, so im assuming its bad for the fridge to be plugged in to the temp controller via 3 pin plug? hence disabling the frige thermostat and replacing it with the digital temp controller?
Thx

I lager in the fridge with a Growarm Temp controller. I turn the thermostat all the way down, connect the fridge AC cord to the temp controller, set to 10C by the way :ph34r: and let it control the fridge. I have the probe in a bottle of water and that's about it...My fridge is only 15 years old and it's handled the growarm temp controller without any probs - it typically sits at 4C without the thermostat, so when I use the fridge for lagers, it's on less frequently anyway.

I won't comment on the earlier posts re yeast temps, since all that needs to be said has been. :blink:

Cheers,
TL

No probs - good luck finding it, you might have to order it in.
Cheers,
TL

Latest posts

Back