Temps For Kit Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timmo

Reaction score
Gday all

Just wondering if any one out there has any info on how low the temps can be for the yeast to work its magic from a coopers can?

Thanks

Timmo

Hi Timmo
Not sure how low but I run them at 22* pitch the yeast any where from 22-28.

Instructions under the lid. Cant go too wrong.

Ha!

Question I am eminantly qualified to answer done tonnes of coopers at all temps.

18 degrees for a decent ferment.

But try to keep between 20-24 degrees.

Will ferment at 16 degrees but very slowly and doesnt taste quite right.

cool thanks for tha quick replys, i was hoping i could brew it a little lower.
Looks like ill be keeping it in tha 20's.

thanks

Can be a ******* to keep it at that temp in winter.

But just make sure that you have it at around 26 degrees when you pitch and as soon as you add the airlock put a couple of jumpers over it and a towell on the outside and it should stay atleast above 16 degrees.

Timmo
Have you got an emersion heater? I use one and have had no probs. The fermenter is in the shed and we have had mornings lately down to -7 and the old brew has not moved off 22 deg. Only cost me $45 bucks for the adjustable one. Good investment.

Cheers!

Can be a ******* to keep it at that temp in winter.

But just make sure that you have it at around 26 degrees when you pitch and as soon as you add the airlock put a couple of jumpers over it and a towell on the outside and it should stay atleast above 16 degrees.

I would not pitch at 26, once yeast start doing there thing they will create heat. i would try and pitch around the 18-22deg mark, and try and ferment at the same temperture, 16 is probably a little low, and 26 is way to high

I would also try and maintain a constant temperature as opposed to going from 26-16 over the fermentation period

If your temps are likly to be 10-14 or maybe 16 if pushed then get some saflager or other dryed lager yeast (these are designed to ferment at lower temps)

Do a search for lager on this site and im sure there are quides to fermenting using these styles of yeast

Mate trust me..... That used to be my system.

Yeast generates heat but not enough heat to maintain 26 degrees.

And dont forget for that strain its optimal temp is between 22-28.

I brewed at 28 and didnt notice the dif from when I brewed at 22, its a very forgiving yeast.

Mate trust me..... That used to be my system.

Yeast generates heat but not enough heat to maintain 26 degrees.

And dont forget for that strain its optimal temp is between 22-28.

I brewed at 28 and didnt notice the dif from when I brewed at 22, its a very forgiving yeast.

I think you will find this is not the optimum temperature range for those yeasts, the best flavors will be developed between 18-20 degs, yes they work above those tempertures but this is not the ideal.

I noticed you are in the XMAS case swap, if your used to drinking beer thats been fermented at 26 degC i think your going to get a very nice supprise when you taste a beer thats been fermented at the lower temperatures

Mate Coopers wouldnt just print it for the fun of it.

And I always follow the recommend directions for whatever the yeast is thats been provided.... I've never found 1 that tells a porky.

When I use a saflager I brew at Lager temps.

When I use a Safale I brew at ale temps.

When I brew with a kit yeast I brew at what temp they recommend.

Here is an extract out of a link for new brewers and maybe some not so new brewers (its work in progress but everything in there is good solid information)

The best temperature for ales to be fermented at is 18-20 degrees and lagers at 10-12 degrees. Before fermenting a lager at 10-12, check with your brewshop that your kit includes a true lager yeast. Many kits are called a lager, but include ale yeasts.

For your first brew, keep the brew as close to 20 as you can achieve. If it ferments at 24, the beer will be drinkable, but 18-20 is ideal.

Maintaining a constant brewing temperature will significantly improve your brew. Depending on your climate, your house, or under your house may have a place that is stable and cool, otherwise there are some simple ways

Heres the link for anyone wanting to read the full version

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...;hl=temperature

Timmo,

Ideally you want to keep it at 18-20C to avoid any fruity/cidery flavours that could evolve because of higher fermentation temps.

You'll get away with 18-22C without too much drama.

DC82, Instructions on the cans are directed towards people who want to brew a beer with minimal effort and to make brewing seem piss easy for people who are considering having a crack at it. If the LME can's in Coles stated you must ferment at 18-20C for a decent result, a lot of people could possibly be turned off trying to home brew if they think they'll get a shit outcome due to lack of temp control. But then there are people who just want to make cheap piss and ferment it at 28-30C so they can get it bottled then into there gobs quicker

Timmo
Have you got an emersion heater? I use one and have had no probs. The fermenter is in the shed and we have had mornings lately down to -7 and the old brew has not moved off 22 deg. Only cost me $45 bucks for the adjustable one. Good investment.

Cheers!

im setting up a temp controller that ive ordered from mashmater and gunna have it connected to a low wattage heat lamp to maintain my temps in winter.

looks like ive opened a can of worms on this one, ill keep temps just under 20c.

Another question also, how does a fridge go about being turned on and off by the temp controller, im just worried about it keelin over then i wont have a homebrew fridge. :blink:

Thx for all tha replys to guys.

Timmo

Timmo

Cheers!

im setting up a temp controller that ive ordered from mashmater and gunna have it connected to a low wattage heat lamp to maintain my temps in winter.

looks like ive opened a can of worms on this one, ill keep temps just under 20c.

Another question also, how does a fridge go about being turned on and off by the temp controller, im just worried about it keelin over then i wont have a homebrew fridge. :blink:

Thx for all tha replys to guys.

Timmo

Have a look at the mashmaster post, i belive it talks about fridge compressor protection etc

Mate Coopers wouldnt just print it for the fun of it.

And I always follow the recommend directions for whatever the yeast is thats been provided.... I've never found 1 that tells a porky.

When I use a saflager I brew at Lager temps.

When I use a Safale I brew at ale temps.

When I brew with a kit yeast I brew at what temp they recommend.

You are entirely correct....Coopers don't print it for the fun of it... the print it for the profit of it.....

Surely you have been around the forum long enough to catch up on the consensus:

Ales: 18 degrees (love your work Brauluver)
Lagers: Your call 9-15 degrees

If I could convince you to pump out a kit in 4 days, then I would recommend 26 degrees myself.

M

Although I prefer fermenting my ales at the lower end of the acceptable temperature range (just to nail my colours to the mast!), I think it should be said that as a living organism yeast adapts to local conditions in its environment over time. Therefore it is quite possible (and probable) that Cooper's are culturing from a strain that is high temperature tolerant, i.e., that produces quite acceptable results at, say, 26C. when other yeast strains used to different environments would be producing fusels, off-flavours, etc etc. For this reason, Coopers & Mauri 514 are popular in North Queensland, in temps where you could never use Safale S-04 or Muntons P Gold successfully without very strict temp control. So, DrewCarey82's perception may be quite accurate, after all. FWIW. Good Brewing! :beer:

agh yeah right.. can't say wether I agree or disagree with any of the previous postings ( never did pass any chemistry exam ). However as any decent ale brewer will tell you 18 to 20 degrees for those, and 8 to 12 degrees for the lagers. It does depend on which kit you are using. Personally I'd steer clear from the Original series and would use the International ( Barvarian Lager in particular ) or any of the Thomas Cooper stuff. Be warned if you use the barvarian lager or the TC pilsner yeast at low temp it takes bloody near a month to ferment with a secondary ferment included.

Cheers
Redgums

Latest posts

Back