Temperature Controller Problem

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
diagram.jpg

Like this, dude...

Errant,

From your last image, you need to;

1) Shift the blue wire in terminal 1 to connect to the blue wire in terminal 12, but also keep the blue wire in 12,
2) Shift the brown wire in terminal 2 to terminal 1 & use a short link of brown wire to connect terminal 2 to terminal 11 (keeping the existing wire in 11 also)

You also need to ensure that the earth wire (green/yellow) connects between the male & female socket.

**NOTE**
I take no responsibility for any damage, injury or loss of life incurred from following these instructions

cheers,

Ben

Edit : Schooey beat me to it... If you follow his picture you'll be right

Thanks to those who replied without condescension. Diagrams don't help me a lot and your clear instructions have really helped. Much appreciated. Problem solved. It's all soldered up and working fine now, wort incoming... Thanks again, cheers!

Thanks to those who replied without condescension. Diagrams don't help me a lot and your clear instructions have really helped. Much appreciated. Problem solved. It's all soldered up and working fine now, wort incoming... Thanks again, cheers!

Whats soldered? All terminations you showed shouldn't be soldered... I hope you didn't solder the ends of the cables into the terminal block.

Or soldered joins in your cables. All cables should be stripped and terminated inside screw terminals or on spades. If you must join cables standalone, they should be in BP connectors

I soldered the wires that are connected together, ie the blues and browns that go together into the block and the earth wires. I didn't have any connectors and don't really like having wires twisted together. They are not soldered into the block, just together and then held into the block with its clamp.
Its much more beneficial to state WHY I shouldn't have soldered it, instead of just saying I shouldn't. It's working fine now anyway and there is no possibility of electrocution due to exposed wires or the wires coming apart etc.

You will receive mostly helpful advise on this site Errant, I know there are some who get a little edgy especially where electricity in involved, and this in understandable.

I see it's your first posts so welcome the the site, and I'm pleased some members here were able to help you fix your problem. Temperature controlled fermenting is just so important in brewing a good beer.

Batz

Ok, just found out WHY I shouldn't have soldered it. I'll get some connectors for it in the morning (turned off now) and do it properly. I've not done 240V before and didn't realise the heat would melt the solder. So, overall, quite good, and I have learned something rather than just having a sparky do it for me. Thanks again.

Ok, just found out WHY I shouldn't have soldered it. I'll get some connectors for it in the morning (turned off now) and do it properly. I've not done 240V before and didn't realise the heat would melt the solder. So, overall, quite good, and I have learned something rather than just having a sparky do it for me. Thanks again.

:unsure: Well at least you're still alive or maybe that was your last post.... :unsure:

Just be careful, electricity is extemely dangerous... ;)

:icon_cheers: CB

Hi all,

With reference to solder I have set up quite a few fridge controllers for brewers for fermenting and kegging and while I am not a qualified electrician I have always soldered (tinned in old fitters language) the wires on the ends that go into the numbered terminals on the temp controllers.
I have found that the controllers I have used (fridgemate and Dixcell) have a very small screw to mount the wires and by tinning or soldering the ends of the wires it creates the opportunity for a more secure connection.
If I am doing something wrong than can you qualified blokes tell me why and how to do it properly?

Cheers

Hi all,

With reference to solder I have set up quite a few fridge controllers for brewers for fermenting and kegging and while I am not a qualified electrician I have always soldered (tinned in old fitters language) the wires on the ends that go into the numbered terminals on the temp controllers.
I have found that the controllers I have used (fridgemate and Dixcell) have a very small screw to mount the wires and by tinning or soldering the ends of the wires it creates the opportunity for a more secure connection.
If I am doing something wrong than can you qualified blokes tell me why and how to do it properly?

Cheers

I don't have my AS3000 handy so I can't give you the rule... Not that you would probably care about that...

Current passing through a cable generates heat, and heat melts solder. When you first install it, it is nice and tight in the terminal block and has a good connection. Over time the heating affect will "loosen" this connection and it can form a high resistance joint.

Thats bad. End result can be fire or even electrocution.

Cable should just be twisted and secured firmly in the terminal.

I soldered the wires that are connected together, ie the blues and browns that go together into the block and the earth wires. I didn't have any connectors and don't really like having wires twisted together. They are not soldered into the block, just together and then held into the block with its clamp.
Its much more beneficial to state WHY I shouldn't have soldered it, instead of just saying I shouldn't. It's working fine now anyway and there is no possibility of electrocution due to exposed wires or the wires coming apart etc.

I'm sorry that you were offended by being told that you shouldn't have done something dangerous. However, You weren't particularly forthcoming with information considering you were asking for help.

I would have told you why if I had of known what you did... But alas I was merely guessing you would have done such a thing based on your previous posts... All seems to be good now, and alls well that ends well (Unless CB is right).

I am Not a sparky!

But hey if anyone is concerned about the solder melting, what is going to happen the the PVC insulation on the wires?

I believe PVC is rated to 75 Deg.C for only less than 440V, and XLPE to 90 Deg.C, for 440V & 1000V plus, which should be way below where solder is going to melt.

If everything is sized correctly, why does "melting" even get mentioned?

FNL

I'm sorry that you were offended by being told that you shouldn't have done something dangerous. However, You weren't particularly forthcoming with information considering you were asking for help.

I WAS offended, I just asked for some info on what I was doing wrong. I just can't comprehend the need to belittle someone with less understanding of a concept or practice. It's counter productive. If you knew it was dangerous, why wouldn't you say so immediately rather than just say it shouldn't be done? How am I to know? Imagine your back starting your apprenticeship, that's my skill level with 240V. I wanted to do it myself to learn, which I have done now and that is a lot more valuble than paying someone else to do it for me. I couldn't understand why the unit worked up to the point where the relay switches the power over to the fridge if the wiring was so different to the way the instructions were worded. I was looking at it in DC terms and I thought the bridging of the terminals was internal.

How much more information did I need? I put a step by step list with photos of everything I'd done, the instructions I followed and the results I got. I just needed someone like Schooey, Screwtop, Glaab and Billgill to actually explain what was wrong with what I had done and what I needed to do to fix it. Not just tell me it was wrong. Or that I should just give up and get a sparky to do it for me.

Cheers.

Well, it seems you are still alive, and got the information you needed, so this thread can be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back