Temperature Controller Problem

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Errant

Reaction score
G'Day fellas, I purchased a SF-800 Temp Controller (from keg king) today and after wiring it up, it will not work. The wiring is done as the instructions state. When I turn the power on, the unit counts down the compressor delay time and then the relay can be heard to click on, but, no power comes from the unit. Just wondering if anyone has used one of these units before, if this is a common fault, the instructions are wrong or if I have done something wrong. Cheers.

If you can hear the relay click over, chances are the unit works ok, so maybe there is a wiring error... it's a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' question. I'm not trying to be a smartarse here, Errant, but if you aren't sure whether you have wired it correctly, maybe the best idea is to take it to a sparky and get him to test it for you.... Better off than getting a zap old son...

Yeah mate, the wiring is done exactly as the instructions state. I've had a few people check it and its 100% the same. Kinda annoying, I wanted to put a new brew on this arvo!

Could be a faulty unit, I'm sure it's happened before... If you still want to brew today, have a search around and see how others do it without controllers.. using iceblocks etc etc... PITA I know, but at least you'll have beer down

Could be blown relay contacts, but if you can hear it clicking, far more likely that the wiring is wrong - you're sure you've wired it according to the instructions, but the instructions could even be wrong. Take a few photos and post them up, along with the aforementioned instructions to see if we can diagnose it.

?
Rob has just served to indicate how it's possible to believe you've wired it up correctly, and still have something which can set fire to your nuts.

Active goes to terminal two and terminal 11. Active supply to fridge comes from terminal one. Neutral to fridge comes from mains neutral (unswitched). Neutral supply to controller goes to terminal 12

EDIT: the instructions actually say to do what Rob2 did. They're wrong. Rewire as described above (follow the diagram, not the instructions) and inform the supplier that they're retarded.

EDIT2: obviously, if you're trying to use this to control an HLT instead of a fridge, the active supply to the element comes from terminal 3, otherwise wire as above.

Ok, the full instructions can be found here -> SF-800 Temp Controller Instructions

After it did not work, I took all wiring apart and did it step by step to make sure everything was right.

I hooked up the power without the sensor so as to get the error code LL, meaning the sensor is open circuited.
Wiring1.jpg

Wiring2.jpg

So, we have power and the unit recognises there is no sensor attached and displays the code, LL.

Next I attached the Sensor.
Wiring3.jpg

With the unit powered up, it displays the temperature. At this time, the timer is going and the OUT light is flashing. The timer is for compressor delay so its not switching on/off all the time.

Wiring4.jpg

So we have power and a temp reading and the timer is working, after two minutes, the relay clicks and the OUT light stays on.

Next I connected the power to the fridge (I'm using lamp for testing but it does the same with a fridge)

Wiring5.jpg

Tested, nothing happens after the relay switches.

I replaced the power outlet wires with my multi-meter and reset the unit.

Beware, even bigger photo! - Wiring and Fluke - Before Relay Clicks

Wiring6.jpg

So it reads 0.65-0.7VAC while the timer is counting down.

Once the timer finishes and the relay clicks, it goes to...

Beware, even bigger photo! - Wiring and Fluke - After Relay Click

Wiring7.jpg

Its gotta be the unit yeah? Or, perhaps I'm a complete numbskull and did something wrong! Can anyone see a problem with what I've done?

11 and 2 are in parallel?
1 goes to the fridge?

Read the post immediately above yours, errant. It explains the problem and the solution.

Some very basic schematics to help with wiring these simple relay type controllers.

Hope this helps

Screwy

240V Type
Schematic_Controller_1.jpg

Low voltage type (Transformer ususlly included in kit)
Schematic_Controller_2.jpg

Edit: See below

11 and 2 are in parallel?
1 goes to the fridge?

As Rob2 as described above:

What is needed is the Active needs to be connected to the centre pole of the relay so a link (wire) is required between terminals 11 and 2 then terminal 1 should have the active from the socket cable connected to it, so that when the relay operates the active is switched via the relay contacts to the socket (where the fridge is plugged in). Be sure the Earth is wired through the unit from cable with Plug to cable with Socket, the same with the Neutrals, to do this put both neutrals into terminal 12.

Errant,
Do Not Follow the instructions. They are wrong!
The diagram is the correct way to wire this up.
If you cannot follow the simple circuit diagram perhaps you should get someone with some electrical knowledge to do it for you.
Cheers
Nige

Cheers LethalCorpse, but I'm still not sure what is wrong. Are the wires correct?
This is the way I have it now. 1&2 are going to a female 240V plug (then fridge). 11&12 are going to the male plug (then wall socket).
Wiring8.jpg

Cheers LethalCorpse, but I'm still not sure what is wrong. Are the wires correct?
This is the way I have it now. 1&2 are going to a female 240V plug (then fridge). 11&12 are going to the male plug (then wall socket).
Wiring8.jpg

The coil gets power from 11... There is no active going into the contactor... See Screwy's diagram.

Wiring8.jpg
*sigh*. Refer to my sig.

Wiring8.jpg

Like this below, click to blow it up, the picture that is, you have gone close enough to blowing up the unit and electrocuting yourself :lol:

I'll try to put it plainly, you want to get the supply Active connected to the relay contacts, so add a length of the Brown wire from terminal 11 to terminal 2. And you want the Neutrals connect, from both cables and the unit so both Neutrals go to terminal 12. Now when the unit switches the relay contacts connect the Active (terminal 2) to terminal 1. You want this connected to the fridge, so that the active is switched on and off to the fridge. So the Active of the fridge cable (cable with socket attached) should be connected to terminal 1. Hope you got it!!!!

Wiring8new.jpg

Screwy

take the wire from 1, put it in 12[with the other blue]
take brown from 2 put in 1
jump a [short link of brown] wire from 2 to 11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back