Temperature control ? - options ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked up a chest freezer from gumtree for $20 and an STC-1000 for about $20. Had a spare extension cord lying around so temp control for under $50. Fits 2 fermenters comfortably.

Depends what your personal barriers are though in terms of space or dollars but will make a big difference to your brewing.

Temperature controller ordered (went for an assembled one to be safe :) )

Fridge / freezer to find.....

I'm thinking a chest freezer - I want to make sure it will take a couple of fermenting buckets or a couple of 19l cornys (would be nice but doesn't need to be buckets and cornys at the same time - but means I need height and width which leads me to a chest freezer).

Approval also obtained from the other half - 'as long as it looks ok/nice' !! She'd rather I spent a bit more if needed...... New cheap chest freezer ??.........

Check gumtree for chest freezers. You can normally pick up one that looks good and is only a few years old for under $200. Most chest freezers around the 215L plus mark will fit 2 fermenters and at least 2 cornies without any modifications. You can also paint a freezer quite easily to make it look pretty if it's a bit banged up.

We now have 3 chest freezers. A keezer, a fermenting fridge and another one that we got recently because my wife wanted one to put food in! Go figure!

Like everyone has said, Get a fridge and an stc 1000. You won't regret it. Set and forgot almost. Takes alot of the worry out of the fermentation process, no matter what time of year. Fridge + stc 100 + heat source means more time for planning next brews!

Yeah, although brew belt around the fermenter isn't advisable.

I have a ceramic one… it's awesome… puts heat out, heats the fridge and not the fermenter directly, and doesn't product any light that could damage the beer.

Why is the brew belt not a good option?

Temperature controller ordered (went for an assembled one to be safe :) )Fridge / freezer to find.....I'm thinking a chest freezer - I want to make sure it will take a couple of fermenting buckets or a couple of 19l cornys (would be nice but doesn't need to be buckets and cornys at the same time - but means I need height and width which leads me to a chest freezer).Approval also obtained from the other half - 'as long as it looks ok/nice' !! She'd rather I spent a bit more if needed...... New cheap chest freezer ??.........

Don't forget - with a chest freezer you will have to lift out a heavy fermenter full of wort at an awkward angle
Otherwise have to arrange a siphoning system

FWIW I use a reptile heater pad in the door of my fridge. It heats gently and doesn't put out a light source.
Cheap too, I think $14 on ebay.
Other than that it is in a $75 fridge with STC

New_guy has a point up there, lifting the fermenter out of a chest freezer would be a hassle.

Like the others said, set and forget and opening the fridge to check the brew or show others is great….what a smell !

UB

I bought an old chesty for $50, that was a win.
Being retarded as I am instead of wiring an STC myself, I bought a Keg King controller. Also ensures compliance in case of fires.

No issue with lifting the FV out of the chesty.

Ok - developments.......

SWMBO has decided it has to "match" the kegmate kegerator I bought from CB..... (I'm brewing in the spare room)

(Abridged version:
Why don't you just use the fridge you've got
Because that's for serving
Well can't you get another one the same so it looks tidy..........)

So currently looking for cheapest "matching" fridge - $380 from Pinaccle would seem to get me a -4 to 28c fridge that I could ferment in and could always add taps etc to if I "need" a second serving fridge down the track.....
Also would fit 3 kegs at a time if I ferment in kegs......

Is anyone fermenting in one of these ? (wouldn't surprise me if not given it is a stupid expensive option, but what price peace at home...........)

Cheers
David

New_guy said:
Why is the brew belt not a good option?
Brew belt around the actual fermenter is not a good option, it doesn't heat evenly.

I son't use it this way, I run it inside the fridge so it heats by raising the ambient temperature rather than directly heating the vessel.
Much the same way as the fridge but up opposite direction.

Back